NFC WILD CARD // Cody Parkey ends Bears season.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

KOP_Snake
Head Coach

GSH wrote:if only the coaches had told him " cody, thats not what we mean by the POST season"
That's not even a dad joke. That's an unwanted step-dad joke.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:if only the coaches had told him " cody, thats not what we mean by the POST season"
Badum dum <crash>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearfacts
MVP

As I posted earlier this team achieved far more this year than anyone expected it to so overall the season was a success.

If there's a disappointment we can all share it's that Parkey cost us regular season wins against both Miami and NYG and if not for those losses we'r a 14-2 team with top seed and home field throughout the playoffs.

Today's loss was made that much tougher to swallow when once again we watched it all boil down to the final result being in the hands (or should I say foot) of a PK whose proven ever since preseason he could not be depended upon.

I know Pace was trying to fix his mistake ever letting Gould go permanently but it's obvious now he got the wrong guy for this team. Parkey has shown inconsistencies before he arrived here but somehow he managed to parlay a big year in Miami into a big contract and THAT is why we couldn't even dust him earlier.

My take on it is 1) I don't think he'll ever get his head screwed on straight now or regain his consistency with us, 2) no matter how much this team shares in wins and losses like a family Parkey to too big a liability to keep.

Assuming Pace can't or won't be able to bring Gould back he's basically forced to either draft the best college PK out there or plan on bringing in mucho competition forcing Parkey to win his job back because as a fan I feel he's lost it already.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Parrkey did not miss kicks on purpose, and the Bears did not know the guy was going to miss kicks.
Shit happens, it's a game, and we are going to wake up tomorrow, just like it is any other Monday.

Tuesday is going to suck.
What for fucksake, you don't make death threats on a kicker because the general manager made a really stupid move 3 years ago.

our defense laid down when it mattered, we shouldn't even be talking about the kicker
GSH
MVP

KOP_Snake wrote:
That's not even a dad joke. That's an unwanted step-dad joke.

i regret nothing
psb1013
Rookie

While much of the blame can be put on Parkey, for me ultimately, the Bears' terribly conservative approach to the game had a big hand in it also. The Bears played not to lose and this approach for me is what ultimately cost them the game. Yes, the Philly D is good but it is no where as good as the Bears.' I just can't understand how you lose the game when you win the turnover battle, especially at home......unbelievable. And the inability to commit to the run all game was inexcusable. The weapons were there, and the Bears didn't use them as they should.
docc
Head Coach

I see where Cody has death threats etc..certainly these folks are morons..and maybe should be prosecuted..

Now to get waived..
I WANT IT NOW..
Last edited by docc on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
GSH
MVP

lets not forget the defense only had 10 men on the field for the eagles first TD play...
docc
Head Coach

A game at this level..is not just talent and play calls..continuity of plays..trust from knowing your teammates.. I think we should see an even stronger better educated team next year..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

psb1013 wrote:While much of the blame can be put on Parkey, for me ultimately, the Bears' terribly conservative approach to the game had a big hand in it also. The Bears played not to lose and this approach for me is what ultimately cost them the game. Yes, the Philly D is good but it is no where as good as the Bears.' I just can't understand how you lose the game when you win the turnover battle, especially at home......unbelievable. And the inability to commit to the run all game was inexcusable. The weapons were there, and the Bears didn't use them as they should.
That's a huge part of it. The first half offense was crap. It shouldn't have come down to a FG at the end. At the same time, Parkey needs to hit those.

We can't score only 15 points and then put all the blame on the defense for not coming up with miracle after miracle and then the kicker for missing at the end.

But again, we did put ourselves in a position to win at the end regardless and it didn't get done.
UOK
Site Admin

Game virtually ended when the Bears had the ball with 5-6 minutes left and went 3-and-out in a pathetic series that deserves more attention and scrutiny, followed by Pat O’Donnell’s 30 yard excuse for a punt, setting up the defending SB MVP and defending champs with a comfortable highway to the end zone against a defense that had been overworked.

Nagy’s offense got smoked in the first half and his play calls were questionable. Trubisky had a creaky first half and the run game was abandoned.

There is no reason Cunningham or Mizzell should be in the offensive huddle at any point. That’s preseason team-building bullshit that has no place in the regular season, much less the playoffs.

Kyle Fuller had a bad game for the most part, and Eddie Jackson not being on the field made a huge difference. No idea why they bothered activating him.

Bears gave up chunks against the run that gave the Eagles first downs with annoying frequency.

Offense relied on penalties for first downs for an entire half.

...and yet they almost won, but didn’t, because ultimately a kicker given a bad contract who demonstrated a frequent lack of clutch and has a track record of disappointment had to do his job in a high pressure situation, and he failed, along with his special teams unit, as expected.

And now the Bears have to eat $5M+ to shitcan this loser and we’re all stuck waiting for next year, hoping the injury bug doesn’t return to Chicago. We don’t even have day one draft picks to ponder. We went all-in hoping our hangdog, mopey kicker wouldn’t simper his way next to Steve Bartman in the Chicago Sports Faces of Sadness Museum, all because instead of practicing like a professional he hopes the Lord will guide his floppy, poor kicks when they come off his foot.

Welp, bad news my man. You got nobody but Jesus left. Take your money and get the fuck out.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:lets not forget the defense only had 10 men on the field for the eagles first TD play...
After Amos' late hit kept the Eagle drive going prior to that TD.

Tarik Cohen 4 total touches! Totally unlike Nagy. Cohen avged 6 carries a game and 6 recs a game. Bizarre.

Howard 10 carries!
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Sadly this played out exactly how I expected.

Had a feeling that the season was going to end with a missed FG and it happened. In fact, when he lined up for that FG my heart dropped. I was like F*ck, this guy is going to freaking miss it.

Sure, the team could have done this or that to not have it come down to the FG. But at the end of the day they still fought their way into position to win. The kicker has ONE job!

I don't blame him for sucking. It is what it is. But this comes down to Pace/Nagy or whoever made the decision not to cut him halfway through the season. After that game he hit the 4 uprights I thought it was time to do something about it, it didn't happen. But it is what it is.

Overall I was pleased how this team played this season and this game for that matter. It would have been great to advance to the next round, but the team did much more than expected this season. The arrow is pointing up for the next few years and the entire team can walk away with their heads up high.

I am completely bummed. In fact, I bartend and accidentally broke 3 bottles by fumbling them directly after the game. I never do shit like that, but yeah. Guess I was just totally not myself after the game.

This team does have me excited for the future though. They will grow from this and next season should be great!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Welp, bad news my man. You got nobody but Jesus left. Take your money and get the fuck out.
If I hear Parkey say, "this is part of God's plan for me", I'm gonna lose my shit.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

This loss sort of smacks of the GB loss at the beginning of the season. As Nagy said before, they are building the calluses, and learning how to win. It's a small step back, for hopefully a big step forward.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:
GSH wrote:lets not forget the defense only had 10 men on the field for the eagles first TD play...
After Amos' late hit kept the Eagle drive going prior to that TD.

Tarik Cohen 4 total touches! Totally unlike Nagy. Cohen avged 6 carries a game and 6 recs a game. Bizarre.

Howard 10 carries!
Cohen had 4 touches because that's who the Eagles D took away along with sitting on the short stuff. The problem the Bears had was that it took a half to figure out what was being done to them. Once they figured out the hitch and go's on the sideline were open, they were more effective.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Umbali
MVP

People saying the D came up short is odd to me. You give up 16 points against the defending champs and you failed? Sure the D didnt look at dominant as normal , but the loss damn sure wasnt their fault.

I am not a cap guru but we gotta figure out a way to eat his cap space and move on.

I am hurting.

This sucked.

Also the rule about being down after a catch and noone picking up the fumble...makes it an incomplete pass! WtF!

Its bizarre to have that rule but it made me think of the Packer playoff game where the ball hit the ground and no bear went after it. ( I think that was a packer playoff game )
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
SgtPerry
Journeyman

I am sad, I feared something like that.

Bears were so close and a this missed field goal is a pity. UOK's words are perfect.

I think we all thought our Bears were ready for great playoffs but for I rewatched the last two games this weekend on You Tune (thanks NFL Full games), I could see flaws.

The Defense is really good but not good enough to carry the whole team. The Bears need a better offense, maybe a little more balanced and a more confident special team.

Khalil Mack is a fantastic player, Trubisky should be better next season but I feel like the Bears miss someone on the offensive side of the team.

Bear down,

:(
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not blaming the D, but I think people feel this is what the D was made for. Up by 5 last drive of the game, your vaunted D on the field. Most Bears fans were probably pretty confident game was over. The Eagles took it right down, pretty easily and scored. It took a 4th down play, but they scored.

I think more people would have rather had that scenario than have Bears down 5 and the O on the field for the last drive.

It was a total team loss, from coaching on down. I wish Fangio would have been more aggressive that last drive. Rushing 4 or less and playing off, resembled the Prevent a Win D.

Oh well, I woke up this a.m. to a rainy suckass day, at work, makes it worse, especially after an L.
wab
Mod

I watched the game again on NFLN last night/early this morning. Watching it knowing the outcome, I picked up on what a shitty first half Nagy called. I don't know if he was worried about Biscuit or if he was just outsmarting himself...but it was a weird first half. The 2nd half was a much more Nagy-like half.

The defense did make boneheaded errors at critical points, but still took the ball away twice and held them to 16 points.

Also, Nick Foles...in that offense... is butter. It runs so smoothly with him, he just makes everything go.

I still think Parkey is a liability even after knowing that his kick was tipped. I just don't know that there is a better option right now given the amount of money the Bears have to eat to move on from him, plus what they'd spend to sign a different guy.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I watched the game again on NFLN last night/early this morning. Watching it knowing the outcome, I picked up on what a shitty first half Nagy called. I don't know if he was worried about Biscuit or if he was just outsmarting himself...but it was a weird first half. The 2nd half was a much more Nagy-like half.
Yeah, I was thinking about this today. Nagy really didn't try and exploit the Eagles banged up secondary until the 2nd half. There were a lot of stop routes, and digs, but no real shots down field. It seems to me we could have seen something like the Buccaneers game, if they had schemed it right. It also looked like Robinson was all but uncoverable once they started going to him. Should have been doing that from the start. It would have opened a lot more of the playbook.

He's a rookie head coach. Let's hope the whole team grows from this.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

What do you guys think about Nagy not using a timeout when the Eagles were on the goal line. I think there was around 1:42 left and they let about 30 seconds run out.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Rakshir wrote:What do you guys think about Nagy not using a timeout when the Eagles were on the goal line. I think there was around 1:42 left and they let about 30 seconds run out.
Good point. I was screaming for the TO there. It worked out OK ultimately because Cohen ran the kick back to the 45. Give them the ball on the 25 and that time they lost would've mattered.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:I watched the game again on NFLN last night/early this morning. Watching it knowing the outcome, I picked up on what a shitty first half Nagy called. I don't know if he was worried about Biscuit or if he was just outsmarting himself...but it was a weird first half. The 2nd half was a much more Nagy-like half.
Yeah, I was thinking about this today. Nagy really didn't try and exploit the Eagles banged up secondary until the 2nd half. There were a lot of stop routes, and digs, but no real shots down field. It seems to me we could have seen something like the Buccaneers game, if they had schemed it right. It also looked like Robinson was all but uncoverable once they started going to him. Should have been doing that from the start. It would have opened a lot more of the playbook.

He's a rookie head coach. Let's hope the whole team grows from this.
Exactly, first playoff game as a HC, he was probably second guessing himself all week.

I would have liked to see them run the ball more throughout the game. Eagles D was giving up 4+ yds a carry all year.

Oh well, you live and learn. Great year, far exceeded my expectations.
G08
Hall of Famer

HAH, thank you for this -- I needed that.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

After he missed that kick, I was holding onto my wife and my dog, I thought for a brief second that the ball hit the bottom post and ricocheted in but nope. I just felt my heart go dead so I stood up, calmly took off my jersey and hung it back up in my closet, sat back down on the couch and put my head in my hands.

Typical. Fucking. Bears.

Wake up today and head out to work and it's gray, overcast, and cold ran hitting me in the face. Thank you, football Gods.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'm not mad at Parkey. We knew he was our biggest liability and in no way should have been asked to kick with the game on the line. Kickers miss, it's just part of the gig. That said, he does need to go. Maybe a move will help him fix his mojo like Gould did after we cut him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/kicker/
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:After he missed that kick, I was holding onto my wife and my dog, I thought for a brief second that the ball hit the bottom post and ricocheted in but nope. I just felt my heart go dead so I stood up, calmly took off my jersey and hung it back up in my closet, sat back down on the couch and put my head in my hands.

Typical. Fucking. Bears.

Wake up today and head out to work and it's gray, overcast, and cold ran hitting me in the face. Thank you, football Gods.
I know in my heart of hearts that the Bears weren't winning the SB this year. I think it's easier on me to have the Bears take an early exit than to lose in the NFC Championship or something. I told myself going into the game that I was happy with the season and i would not let myself get disappointed with whatever happened.

But... like I told you last night, losing like THIS just hurts. I would have been fine with a failed 4th down, a pick, a fumble by anyone, the Eagles just outright winning. Just not clanking one off the upright. I hate it.

And I get to listen to sound clips of Chris Collinsworth saying "double doink" until the end of days.
Monty
Rookie

I put this loss primarily on Nagy and specifically the play calling in the first half. I look back to December and the success they had with the combo of a steady diet of Howard on first down combined with the unpredictable use of Cohen to keep teams off balance which led to a lot of short 3rd down scenarios. They got away from that yesterday and, as much as I like Nagy, I think he outsmarts himself sometimes.
Defense played great.
Parkey should never been in that situation.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I hate that fucking word, "doink." I have heard it thousands of times in the past 12 hrs, I am fucking over it.

I agree losing without a FG attempt at the end would have been a much better loss (strange to say).

G08, I am confused by your term, "typical Bears." Not trying to start shit, but this team was atypical from past years. The past 8 yrs they didn't sniff the playoffs. Not getting to the playoffs and sucking hind tit would be more typical to me.