View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:17 pm 
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:
Miller should've picked up the damn ball. I don't get why anyone in the fucking league would just leave the ball on the ground. Total laziness. I'm still pissed about the fumble in '13.
...which wouldn't have mattered one bit because the whistle was already blown before he could turn around to get it.

The other day, I called in and talked to Kap about that play on the radio and right after my call ended he said the same thing. I was dying as he needed another dose of reality. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by ignoring the whistle. In fact as I wanted to say on the air, if both teams went by that logic, then there would've been a pile up of players diving on that ball and someone could've gotten hurt, concussed, whatever. Is that what you want?

Going after a ball on the ground when there's been no whistle is certainly desirable. But there must be a signal to stop in any contact sport and in football, it's the whistle. Nothing that happens after the whistle matters. That's the rule and the reality. It's simply a matter of safety, even if inadvertent whistles happen sometimes.

You realize that if an Eagle had picked up the ball, even AFTER the whistle, the Eagles get the ball, right? Same if Miller had picked it up. Bears get the ball at the spot Miller fumbled it. That's the whole reason they even reviewed it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 pm 
Rookie

KOP_Snake wrote:
You realize that if an Eagle had picked up the ball, even AFTER the whistle, the Eagles get the ball, right? Same if Miller had picked it up. Bears get the ball at the spot Miller fumbled it. That's the whole reason they even reviewed it.

Just be glad the ball was ripped out parallel to the LOS.

A fumble through and out of the back of the endzone would have been ruled a touchback for the Eagles... no clear recovery needed since there is a specific rule for offensive fumble through the endzone.

D'oh... turns out I was wrong on that. It would still have been ruled incomplete if the fumble went out of the endzone on a challenged play where the initial call was incomplete.

Last edited by Ross on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:12 pm 
Head Coach

KOP_Snake wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:
Miller should've picked up the damn ball. I don't get why anyone in the fucking league would just leave the ball on the ground. Total laziness. I'm still pissed about the fumble in '13.
...which wouldn't have mattered one bit because the whistle was already blown before he could turn around to get it.

The other day, I called in and talked to Kap about that play on the radio and right after my call ended he said the same thing. I was dying as he needed another dose of reality. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by ignoring the whistle. In fact as I wanted to say on the air, if both teams went by that logic, then there would've been a pile up of players diving on that ball and someone could've gotten hurt, concussed, whatever. Is that what you want?

Going after a ball on the ground when there's been no whistle is certainly desirable. But there must be a signal to stop in any contact sport and in football, it's the whistle. Nothing that happens after the whistle matters. That's the rule and the reality. It's simply a matter of safety, even if inadvertent whistles happen sometimes.

That's patently incorrect.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:57 pm 
Head Coach

I looked up what I could on this. Here's what I found.

From the 2018 NFL Rulebook...
Rule 7. Dead Ball... Section 2. Article 1
Quote:
m. when an official sounds the whistle erroneously while the ball is still in play, the ball becomes dead immediately.
2. If the ball is a loose ball resulting from a fumble, backward pass, or illegal forward pass, the team last in possession may elect to put the ball in play at the spot where possession was lost or to replay the down.
The above shows that the rule is that the offensive team gets the ball where last possessed by Miller. And it says absolutely clearly that a whistle means it's a dead ball. Period.

Rule 15. Officials and Instant Replay, Section 2, Article 5.
Quote:
If an on-field ruling of a dead ball (down by contact, out of bounds, or incomplete forward pass) is changed, the ball belongs to the recovering player at the spot of the recovery, and any advance is nullified.
This rule is unclear, since it doesn't address reversed incomplete with whistle during fumble.

This is a key element from a book called the "Instant Replay Casebook", which I couldn't find online...
https://twitter.com/NFLOfficiating/stat ... 1257510913
This justifies the ruling of incomplete. Note that this rule doesn't change rule 7.2.1.m above that says it's a dead ball based on the "incomplete" whistle, which then can't be recovered. But what this really does is demonstrate that the NFL is making a travesty of the game by having different rules for the same play, one rule if a circumstance is called correctly on the field and another if the play is called wrong initially and replayed.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:51 am 
Mod

wtf... when did this dude become some folk hero that needed to share his story.

TODAY

Verified account

@TODAYshow
Follow Follow @TODAYshow
More
Tomorrow on TODAY: @ChicagoBears kicker @CParkey36 will join us live for an exclusive interview to talk about that one-point playoff loss to the Eagles and more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:57 am 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

TODAY

Verified account

@TODAYshow
Follow Follow @TODAYshow
More
Tomorrow on TODAY: @ChicagoBears kicker @CParkey36 will join us live for an exclusive interview to talk about that one-point playoff loss to the Eagles and more.

Just posted this in another thread. FUCK this dude. If he makes some "Jesus wanted it that way" comment I'm going to lose my fucking shit.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 am 
Site Admin

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

TODAY

Verified account

@TODAYshow
Follow Follow @TODAYshow
More

Just posted this in another thread. FUCK this dude. If he makes some "Jesus wanted it that way" comment I'm going to lose my fucking shit.

It 100% will be all about how he's using his faith to overcome this moment.

I hope they cut him that morning and he can explain to the world how faith will help him persevere through why no NFL team will sign him next season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 am 
Mod

I'm not gonna knock a guy for his faith, but yeah...he can fuck off.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:36 am 
Head Coach

I think I would be just asking for permission to practice at soldier field every extra minute in the offseason if the team intends to keep me and keep my mouth shut vs going on the interview tour.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:00 am 
Mod

Parkey just arrived at the Today Show for his interview...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next