Article: Vikings QB Kirk Cousins Is Officially an $84 ...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

Bleacher Report: Vikings QB Kirk Cousins Is Officially an $84 Million Bust

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/281 ... llion-bust" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As an expat Chicagoan in the Twin Cities, the schadenfreude is real.
Last edited by IotaNet on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The truth stinks. But it's the truth. Cousins is NOT a big time QB, and the Vikings bought damaged goods.
docc
Head Coach

Highest paid NFL Quarterbacks

1. Aaron Rodgers: $33.5M
2. Matt Ryan: $30M
3. Kirk Cousins: $28M
4. Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5M
5. Matthew Stafford: $27M
6. Derek Carr: $25M

They’ll combine for 0 playoff games
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

It would suck, but I'd tear my ACL for 27.5 million
docc
Head Coach

Hey..I'll help a buddy..
I'll tear your ACL for 10 Mill
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Way more problems on that team than QB. Offensive line is flat out terrible at both run and pass blocking.

Cousins is going to get the blame due to the contract, but man if you invest that much in a QB you better set up an offense he can function in. He can't run around.
docc
Head Coach

Teddy Bilgewatar was a interesting QB..not very good..but interesting..
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

docc wrote:Highest paid NFL Quarterbacks

1. Aaron Rodgers: $33.5M
2. Matt Ryan: $30M
3. Kirk Cousins: $28M
4. Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5M
5. Matthew Stafford: $27M
6. Derek Carr: $25M

They’ll combine for 0 playoff games

Of all t hose guys only Rogers deserves what he's getting, and even that is questionable given where he is in his career. This should be a real eye opener for GM's and owners, but it won't be, do not overpay for average or old qb's. If they cannot carrry your team don't ruin your teams cap on them.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I love whipping on Cousins, or any division QB, but the article is a bit absurd. The Vikings D played terribly in the first quarter of the season while Cousin-Theilen were lighting it up. THEY have more of the blame for the Vikes record being such that they had to win for a wild card more than Cousins through the season. Putting it all on Cousins and saying he is a bust is a very myopic way of viewing that teams season. The usual QB gets too much praise or blame thing.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He's feeling the pressure of that contract. From NFC Championship game to sitting at home this year, yea the pressure is falling on him. I didn't see Thielen bitching at the beginning of the year, they were just figured out and like mentioned above, that OL sucks.
IotaNet
MVP

From the perspective of someone who lives up here, I Can tell you that when Cousins signed his deal, there was dancing in the streets. He was being hailed as "the missing piece that was going to get the Vikes over the hump."

I could never make that make sense in my own head because he never was that great a QB. His record against teams with winning records was terrible and his become worse. I believe he is now 4-25 against teams with above .500 records. I don't know where that ranks against top NFL QB's but I know its not worth $84M guaranteed.

I don't begrudge him his money but IMHO, the Vikings should have invested some of that money in O-line upgrades.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

KOP_Snake wrote:It would suck, but I'd tear my ACL for 27.5 million
I've done it for free, so you are damn right I'd do it for 27.5 million.
Bearfacts
MVP

Given the play of QBs like Mahomes, Mayfield, Trubisky, Goff, etc. you have to wonder just how far teams will stretch to sign vets for the kind of money they're asking.

Rodgers can no longer do it alone, Cousins keeps proving he's not a clutch QB, and rumors are out that Stafford may be on the block in Detroit. As far as the NFCN goes I like where we're sitting with Trubisky.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Some of these qbs wanting to break the bank for the detriment of the team, I really don't get it. I credit Brady for keeping his salary modest (by today's standards) so other players can be signed. I think Rodger's coin will fuck that team over. It takes a team to win. While Brees is getting his, they got a very good team around him. some of those guys like Kamara on cheap rookie pay scale or lower salaries.

I hope Trubs doesn't want to break the bank when he re-signs, but it is all about the agent.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
I don't begrudge him his money but IMHO, the Vikings should have invested some of that money in O-line upgrades.
What are you talking about, the Vikes went out and got Tom Compton!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:I love whipping on Cousins, or any division QB, but the article is a bit absurd. The Vikings D played terribly in the first quarter of the season while Cousin-Theilen were lighting it up. THEY have more of the blame for the Vikes record being such that they had to win for a wild card more than Cousins through the season. Putting it all on Cousins and saying he is a bust is a very myopic way of viewing that teams season. The usual QB gets too much praise or blame thing.
Pretty spot on.

I jumped on Cousins in my prediction and I think that was pretty spot on as it played out. But if they could've protected him like Miami's OL protected Brockenstein, he would've played better and we wouldn't have been able to slam the door on their running game the way we did. Cousins is what he is. He's competent. But he needs more help than they gave him.

Regarding our offense, their DL is very good. But whatever our coaches did with our OL guys (similar to what we did to the Rams) eased the pressure enough for Biscuit to get rid of the ball and avoid sacks. And we ran the ball. I think our coaches deserve a ton of credit for us putting up 24 on them. Our offense is alright, but certainly not great. We outcoached the heck out of the team with the #1 home defense in the league.

Here's to Matt Nagy. :headbang:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
ursamagnus
Practice Squad

Otis Day wrote:Some of these qbs wanting to break the bank for the detriment of the team, I really don't get it. I credit Brady for keeping his salary modest (by today's standards) so other players can be signed. I think Rodger's coin will fuck that team over. It takes a team to win. While Brees is getting his, they got a very good team around him. some of those guys like Kamara on cheap rookie pay scale or lower salaries.

I hope Trubs doesn't want to break the bank when he re-signs, but it is all about the agent.
I mean, Brady is also a special case. He probably makes more in endorsements than he does in his football salary, and all of it is dwarfed by Giselle's income.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

ursamagnus wrote:
Otis Day wrote:Some of these qbs wanting to break the bank for the detriment of the team, I really don't get it. I credit Brady for keeping his salary modest (by today's standards) so other players can be signed. I think Rodger's coin will fuck that team over. It takes a team to win. While Brees is getting his, they got a very good team around him. some of those guys like Kamara on cheap rookie pay scale or lower salaries.

I mean, Brady is also a special case. He probably makes more in endorsements than he does in his football salary, and all of it is dwarfed by Giselle's income.
I fucking hate that guy. He's good looking, his wife is gorgeous, their family income is possibly nine figures. Screw them.
jamus34
Journeyman

ursamagnus wrote:

Yeah, Brady knows at this point of his career his football salary is literally pointless.

He can pretty much write his own endorsement checks in the NE; completely excluding the salary of his wife.

And yeah I hate that SOB too.
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
ursamagnus wrote:

I fucking hate that guy. He's good looking, his wife is gorgeous, their family income is possibly nine figures. Screw them.
He did it pretty much throughout this career and the Patriots also used the uncapped year well. It's incredible that teams haven't realised that paying a QB a pile of cash isn't a route to success.

This year, of the seven teams to finish with a better than 10-6 record, 4 are on rookie deals. The other three are Brees, Rivers and Brady.

2018 sees Brady with a cap hit of $22m, only the 2nd time he's had $15m or more (the other being $17m in the uncapped year).

I'm calling this early but I hope that Pace is ready to say to Trubisky, this is my maximum and if you're not willing to play for it, I'll draft your replacement.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
ursamagnus wrote:

He sold his soul to the devil, I am convinced.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
docc
Head Coach

The devil...Belechick..?

Yes he has..
Richie
MVP

Does Gisselle still bring in an absurd amount of cash? She's 38 now and I doubt she's modeling like she used to. I think Tom may be the annual breadwinner now. Even if she trumps him in career earnings.
IotaNet
MVP

Richie wrote:Does Gisselle still bring in an absurd amount of cash? She's 38 now and I doubt she's modeling like she used to. I think Tom may be the annual breadwinner now. Even if she trumps him in career earnings.
She is doing quite well, thank you very much.

https://www.boston.com/culture/celebs/2 ... model-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$10 mill is nothing to sneeze at.

- Colin Powell
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Meh, I've never found her to be very attractive. I mean, Tom would rather kiss his son, so...
wab
Mod

KOP_Snake wrote:Meh, I've never found her to be very attractive. I mean, Tom would rather kiss his son, so...
I find her paycheck hot AF.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

wab wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:Meh, I've never found her to be very attractive. I mean, Tom would rather kiss his son, so...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
We have a bingo! :applaud:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.