Update: Denver/Fangio agree to 4yr deal - Bears need a DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote:
MoFugger wrote:I will drive Vic fangio to whatever interview he wants to take. He has done a phenomenal job with this defense,
But it is time to move on.
Your irrational hate for Fangio is weirder than my irrational hate for Leno.

They were the best defense in the NFL. This is the first time in 8 games that they’ve given up more than one touchdown.
I'm drunk, and I'm not going to wake up in the morning in fangio Jersey.
So fuck you!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote: Your irrational hate for Fangio is weirder than my irrational hate for Leno.

They were the best defense in the NFL. This is the first time in 8 games that they’ve given up more than one touchdown.
+1.
+2
MoFugger
Head Coach

Call The cover 3 shell 2 plays in a row?
Lovie Smith might as well has been calling that difference from the grave.
Vic is one hell of a technical coach, but his calling on game days has been pathetic for 10 years, and that's how he wound up here.
ANY situation that gets him out of here, and Bowles our new defensive coordinator, I'm all for it.
wab
Mod

MoFugger wrote:
wab wrote:
MoFugger wrote:I will drive Vic fangio to whatever interview he wants to take. He has done a phenomenal job with this defense,
But it is time to move on.
Your irrational hate for Fangio is weirder than my irrational hate for Leno.

I'm drunk, and I'm not going to wake up in the morning in fangio Jersey.
So fuck you!
It’s a t-shirt. And at least I’m self aware enough to know my irrational hatred is silly.
GSH
MVP

monday morning, halas hall.

hey, wheres coach fangio?

i dunno, said he was just popping to the store for some smokes...
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

I feel like that 10-man defense is going to cost him being picked as a HC.
SgtPerry
Journeyman

KOP_Snake wrote:I feel like that 10-man defense is going to cost him being picked as a HC.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
skamanfrank
Journeyman

southdakbearfan wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote: Your irrational hate for Fangio is weirder than my irrational hate for Leno.

+1.
+2
+3

To blame Fangio is just ludicrous. We would never have got to this game if it wasn't for his Defence. The 10 men on the field sucked, as did the penalty for having 12 on the field.

I reeeeeallly thought for a minute that we might have stopped them four times on the goal line :(
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

skamanfrank wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:

+1.
+2
+3

To blame Fangio is just ludicrous. We would never have got to this game if it wasn't for his Defence. The 10 men on the field sucked, as did the penalty for having 12 on the field.

I reeeeeallly thought for a minute that we might have stopped them four times on the goal line :(
+4

The offense shit the bed in the first half and then obviously the kicker at the end. You can't expect to win a playoff game scoring 15 points.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Agreed, but ultimately it wasn't one thing, it was a combination of offence, defence and kicking all coming up short.

Don't get me wrong, defence had a shocker of a drive at one point, but you have to consider the individual's responsibility and not pin it all on Fangio:

Amos helmet to helmet (14 yards 1st down)
12 men on the field (5 yards)
Amukamara pass interference (33 yards 1st down)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Cohen 4 touches.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Yup, or, offence going three and out on the penultimate drive, right before the Eagles went and scored a TD.....

There's so many things that attributed. Fangio leaving is unlikely to make us better.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Good news:
Mike Klis
‏@MikeKlis

Broncos president Joe Ellis is not with head coach search committee in Chicago-area interviewing Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio. Ellis returned to Denver after interview with Brian Flores in Providence, R.I. #9sports
Bad news:

On the radio, Danny Parkins is hearing that Fangio is on the Broncos short list and if he wants the job it could be his, which is why the Dolphins cancelled their interview.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Mike Klis

Verified account

@MikeKlis
12m12 minutes ago
More
Broncos contingent was to leave Chicago at noon — now pushed back to 530 — Vic Fangio is getting strong look. #9sports

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

While I think Vic deserves a shot if he wants it, DON'T GO TO DENVER!!!! I CAN SEE ELWAY USING YOU AS A PUPPET!!

I think the D can still be very good. There is a lot of talent there. Fans thought the Bears D would suck when Buddy left, it didn't. so much talent, competent guys can do competent things with above avg players.
wab
Mod

I'm not going to begrudge a guy his chance at a HC job, even if he's probably going to fail spectacularly. Donatell is in house, has the respect of the players, and has been a good DC. Bowles has proven to be a terrible HC but one of the better DCs in the NFL and has roots with Nagy.

I want Vic to stay and continue to build a legendary defense, but the sky isn't falling. The collection of talent on the defensive side of the ball will make DCs into future head coaches, so there won't be a shortage of excellent candidates.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Link to Denver TV station article:

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/broncos-head-coach-search-moves-to-vic-fangio/73-ca0390a8-191e-4b21-9508-369f9ec74678

Interesting line from story: Elway has always liked the no nonsense, tough guy approach in his coaches, especially if they have a history of getting the most out of his players. His dad was like that.
G08
Hall of Famer

Sounds like Donatell is coming out of contract. I'm curious if Fangio would bring him along to Denver (if he takes the gig, mind you) as his DC and perhaps assistant HC to sweeten the pot.

I like Bowles' aggressive nature, if this was the next best option.

G08
Hall of Famer

Mike Klis

Verified account

@MikeKlis
5m5 minutes ago
More
In John Elway's previous three head coach searches, last candidate interviewed got the job: John Fox, Gary Kubiak, Vance Joseph. Vic Fangio the last one this time from group that also included Chuck Pagano, Zac Taylor, Mike Munchak and Brian Flores. We'll see. #9sports

3 replies 8 retweets 13 likes
Reply 3 Retweet 8 Like 13
Pure speculation on my behalf but I think he's a goner.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
Mike Klis

Verified account

@MikeKlis
5m5 minutes ago
More
In John Elway's previous three head coach searches, last candidate interviewed got the job: John Fox, Gary Kubiak, Vance Joseph. Vic Fangio the last one this time from group that also included Chuck Pagano, Zac Taylor, Mike Munchak and Brian Flores. We'll see. #9sports

I'm inclined to agree. I think it's going to be a disaster of Rod Marinelli proportions too.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Look, I am less sky is falling over this than I was. Per previous comments, I think Vic should get his chance. I don't think he has the patience or demeanor of a successful HC, but who knows. Maybe he's the next Bill Belichick.

My guess would be that he would drag Donatell with him, it would be the logical move. I like the Bowles idea. He built a nasty defense in AZ, with a lot less talented players. Given the Nagy angle, it seems like the right move.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Mike Klis

Verified account

@MikeKlis
5m5 minutes ago
More

I'm inclined to agree. I think it's going to be a disaster of Rod Marinelli proportions too.
Fangio just doesn't seem to have the right level of patience to weather the slings and arrows from the press, and the public. Per your previous comment, I think he will be a puppet for Elway. He'll bring Vic in for defense and ST, and then "recommend" his own OC and install the offense he wants.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Mike Klis

Verified account

@MikeKlis
5m5 minutes ago
More

Agree completely. Elway can be a difficult guy to get along with and I'm not sure Fangio wouldn't tell him to take a flying leap if he gets his fingers into Vic's territory.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My die hard Bronco loving nephew in Denver is saying there are multiple rumors that Elway's guy is Munchak.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If Fangio wants the Denver job I hope he gets it. He deserves it. This is the price of the Bears' success.

Put me down for either Mike Nolan with what he did in Baltimore or Bowles. I'm happy with either. With the personnel we have and the momentum around the Bears, we should have our pick of defensive coordinator candidates. Seriously, the chance to coach Mack, Hicks, Roquan, and Eddie Jackson all at the same time (and I left some names off) has to be too good to pass up.
G08
Hall of Famer

Rex Ryan was pretty critical of Fangio for being too conservative to close out the game. If Fangio leaves I think Todd Bowles would bring a level of aggressiveness that we haven't seen here in quite some time.

wab
Mod

Apparently Bruce Arians is expected to be named the HC of the Bucs and is also expected to hire Boles as DC.

Speculation is that Chuck Pagano or Rex goddamn Ryan would replace Vic if he leaves. Jesus.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Can't see Ryan and Nagy together. That is an odd combo.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Apparently Bruce Arians is expected to be named the HC of the Bucs and is also expected to hire Boles as DC.

Speculation is that Chuck Pagano or Rex goddamn Ryan would replace Vic if he leaves. Jesus.
We have so much more talent here than the Bucs... hopefully Boles would reconsider (assuming Fangio leaves).