Update: Denver/Fangio agree to 4yr deal - Bears need a DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

I really hope he doesn’t jump ship to accept a head coaching position after this season is over.

According to multiple reports, the Broncos and Dolphins have both requested permission to speak with Fangio about the head coaching vacancies they created on Monday.

Fangio has been the defensive coordinator for five NFL teams over a pro coaching career that began in the USFL and is in his fourth season with the Bears. Chicago allowed the fewest points in the league this year and ranked third in yards allowed on their way to a NFC North title.

Teams wishing to speak to Fangio will have to wait until after the Bears play the Eagles in the Wild Card round.
docc
Head Coach

He'd be starting all over again at 61..need players..synergy with OC..could happen..but maybe Assistant HC of Bears..
Used to be the way to protect a coach
GSH
MVP

if he leaves i'll be gutted and angry. That said, he and his family deserve it, so who am I to say anything.

Whatever coach does, wherever he ends up, chicago bears legend for life.
IotaNet
MVP

If Fangio leaves, Pace needs to be dialing Todd Bowles with the quickness.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:If Fangio leaves, Pace needs to be dialing Todd Bowles with the quickness.
Not a bad call. He built a nasty defense in AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:If Fangio leaves, Pace needs to be dialing Todd Bowles with the quickness.

I vote for Mike Nolan.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Miami didn’t strike with our OCs, so they’re going for our DC. I DONT LIKE IT!
Ormazd
MVP

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Chicago fans need to put together a “Please don’t go” highlight reel for Fangio. I mean he’s a fantastic DC, and his press conferences are riveting.

It would be a bummer if he left. He has talked about how much he loves Chicago, so hopefully he stays.

UOK
Site Admin

Football aside, I think Fangio would stay because of the golf courses and baseball culture of the city. He seems like the kind of person who isn't too terribly interested in uprooting or going through tons of changes. He's paid like a head coach, could easily be considered a co-head coach of this team, and if the Bears don't win a title this year, why would he leave in the midst of finally being able to coach a defense he helped sculpt that's at its peak?

But head coaching gigs are rare, and I could see how these opportunities would be too tough to decline, but Vic isn't your typical guy. Hopefully he stays.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

If Fangio wants success as a head coach, he needs to have a great OC in his back pocket to take with him. Cards, Jets, Browns and arguably the Bucs all have young QB's that need an friendly system to grow the young talent. So unless he has that guy in his pocket, I can't see those teams sniffing at Fangio, let alone hiring him.
Cincinnati could hire Fangio and tell him they already have Jackson if Fangio wants him,
And Green Bay could do the same and offer Philibin. This is the most likely place for Fangio to go IMO, but the Packers would need to offer up a lot of cash, convince Fangio to jump ship to a rival, and then convince him to take on Philibin as the OC, to keep Rodgers happy.
Arizona seems like they're being linked to Bowles in early speculation from talking heads (with the possibility of Bruce Arians returning in some capacity!).
Miami and Denver seem like bleh places to go IMO. Denver has a great nucleus to work with on defense so that could appeal to Fangio, but Miami? They have no team identity, a QB that can't stay healthy, and are in a division with the evil empire. If you really like Miami (and I love visiting in February), then go try to build something. But man that place has been a hole that swallows coaches and players for a while now.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
WagonForce
MVP

I'm going to do my best to block all of this out until the post season has run its course. Fangio deserves the looks he's going to get for HC positions, he's earned them.

I'm hoping he stays with the Bears for the rest of his career.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

This makes it more important to run deep in the playoffs so team get antsy to make a hire.
Bearfacts
MVP

I thought of that as well and even if Vic stays we may want to find a role for him.

If I'm Fangio I'd blow off Miami. They need an offensive guy and if Gase couldn't fix their mess my thinking is Fangio isn't their guy.

Denver however is intriguing IF Gary Kubiak returns as OC and according to Elway he will have a role. Chuck Pagano and Mike Munchak who both have previous HC experience are also on Elway's list. Seems to me he may be looking to replicate what he had with Fox by hiring a defensive HC and pairing him with Kubiak to run the offense.

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nf ... e3737e3136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MoFugger
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

It also doesn't hurt that he and Nagy have been friends since childhood
IotaNet
MVP

MoFugger wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
It also doesn't hurt that he and Nagy have been friends since childhood
Wow -- that's very good to know and a great story.

Check out this link: https://nypost.com/2018/10/25/matt-nagy ... dd-bowles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

The shitty part of success, but hey man if our Chicago Bears can springboard him to what I understand to be a life-long dream, good for him!

I'd take a hard look at Ed Donatell and if he winds up going with Fangio, Todd Bowles makes a ton of sense.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I just cannot see Elway and Fangio on the same page. I feel Elway wants to ramp up the O and with the talent on that D, he can find a good def. mind or suggest one to the O minded coach I think he will hire.

I also think Donatell could fill in quite nicely. I believe half the problem is personnel, and that personnel is already here. That would keep it somewhat consistent.

I am not too worried about it.
wab
Mod

I love Fangio and I refuse to diminish what he's done. BUT... there's no way another DC with credentials wouldn't be successful with this collection of talent.

I'd love it if Fangio stays for the next 8 years. If not, I'm confident that they can find someone to fill his shoes.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:If Fangio wants success as a head coach, he needs to have a great OC in his back pocket to take with him. Cards, Jets, Browns and arguably the Bucs all have young QB's that need an friendly system to grow the young talent. So unless he has that guy in his pocket, I can't see those teams sniffing at Fangio, let alone hiring him.
Cincinnati could hire Fangio and tell him they already have Jackson if Fangio wants him,
And Green Bay could do the same and offer Philibin. This is the most likely place for Fangio to go IMO, but the Packers would need to offer up a lot of cash, convince Fangio to jump ship to a rival, and then convince him to take on Philibin as the OC, to keep Rodgers happy.
Arizona seems like they're being linked to Bowles in early speculation from talking heads (with the possibility of Bruce Arians returning in some capacity!).
Miami and Denver seem like bleh places to go IMO. Denver has a great nucleus to work with on defense so that could appeal to Fangio, but Miami? They have no team identity, a QB that can't stay healthy, and are in a division with the evil empire. If you really like Miami (and I love visiting in February), then go try to build something. But man that place has been a hole that swallows coaches and players for a while now.
I hear Adam Gase is available.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Yeah, I want him to stay. Bad.

But if he leaves, I’d have Nagy on the phone to Bowles immediately playing up that childhood friendship. I think the defense would continue rolling.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Who knows if he even really wants to be a HC, move his family and start from the ground up? Some people may love that idea, but some people (like me) would be very content with coordinating a defense that could be one of the best units in the modern era. So here's to hoping Fangio hangs around for at least a few years and a few Super Bowl parades in Chicago.
wab
Mod

AZ_Bearfan wrote:Who knows if he even really wants to be a HC, move his family and start from the ground up? Some people may love that idea, but some people (like me) would be very content with coordinating a defense that could be one of the best units in the modern era. So here's to hoping Fangio hangs around for at least a few years and a few Super Bowl parades in Chicago.
Why go to Miami where you will probably be fired in two years when you could stay in Chicago and be a legend in two years.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Anyone know what Fangio's current contract is like?
Should Pace just walk into his office with an outrageous extension/contract rework so that he is less inclined to want to leave? I don't know enough to comment really but is it possible to speculate how much is Fangio worth vs how much we do or should pay him?

I sure as hell hope he doesn't go anywhere....
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:Who knows if he even really wants to be a HC, move his family and start from the ground up? Some people may love that idea, but some people (like me) would be very content with coordinating a defense that could be one of the best units in the modern era. So here's to hoping Fangio hangs around for at least a few years and a few Super Bowl parades in Chicago.
While I agree wholeheartedly with hoping Fangio stays put, the fact that he's actually participated in multiple head coaching vacancy interviews tells me that's what he wants.

My mind pictures Ursula from The Little Mermaid singing into Fangio's ear about wanting more than he's already got.
Last edited by Mikefive on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

skamanfrank wrote:Anyone know what Fangio's current contract is like?
Should Pace just walk into his office with an outrageous extension/contract rework so that he is less inclined to want to leave? I don't know enough to comment really but is it possible to speculate how much is Fangio worth vs how much we do or should pay him?

I sure as hell hope he doesn't go anywhere....
I thought I heard that he's the highest DC in the league at $1.5M/year.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The radio this a.m. reported he makes slightly over $2 mil.

Head coach gets paid more than that. I don't think you can pay him much more. If he doesn't feel appreciated here at the moment - he is a dick.

He has expressed desire at being an HC. No money will keep him from that if he is offered a HC job. I am not sure he has what it takes. If he goes, he goes. There is a lot of talent here to work with
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:The radio this a.m. reported he makes slightly over $2 mil.

Head coach gets paid more than that. I don't think you can pay him much more. If he doesn't feel appreciated here at the moment - he is a dick.

He has expressed desire at being an HC. No money will keep him from that if he is offered a HC job. I am not sure he has what it takes. If he goes, he goes. There is a lot of talent here to work with
I don't want to call him a dick -- I went that route last off-season -- but I can't ever hate on a dude who is chasing after a dream.

I just hope he knows what he has here and if he goes to the Dolphins, he's got a long ways to go and not more than 3 years to accomplish it I believe.

Denver is who scares me. They have pieces there to make his defense go.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

skamanfrank
Journeyman

G08 wrote:
Otis Day wrote:The radio this a.m. reported he makes slightly over $2 mil.

I don't want to call him a dick -- I went that route last off-season -- but I can't ever hate on a dude who is chasing after a dream.

I just hope he knows what he has here and if he goes to the Dolphins, he's got a long ways to go and not more than 3 years to accomplish it I believe.

Denver is who scares me. They have pieces there to make his defense go.
Agreed. That D would be awesome if he can create something similar to what he has here...
IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote: ... I don't want to call him a dick -- I went that route last off-season -- but I can't ever hate on a dude who is chasing after a dream ...
Exactly. As much as we want him to stay, you can never begrudge people for trying to follow their star. PLUS, Vic Fangio is not the only successful DC that ever lived. At this point, I trust Pace and Nagy enough to find a rockstar replacement if it comes to that.

- Colin Powell