Update: Denver/Fangio agree to 4yr deal - Bears need a DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

GSH
MVP

Rumour that Titans want bears QB coach dave ragone for OC.

Lateral move in NFL parlance, so bears can block the interview request.

They taking all our mans.
wab
Mod

Lemming is reporting that Fangio will accept the Denver job today.
SgtPerry
Journeyman

wab wrote:Lemming is reporting that Fangio will accept the Denver job today.
At least Buddy Ryan reached a SB before leaving...

Let's hope the new DC would bring something more.
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
G08
Hall of Famer

This is driving me crazy.

Latest I've heard on the radio is Bowles hasn't finalized anything and that he and Nagy talk all the time. Take that for whatever it's worth.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
1h1 hour ago
More
Coaching update: The #Broncos will decide soon between #Bears DC Vic Fangio and #Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak for HC. Sources close to Fangio believe he is well-positioned to get it and he is very interested. Denver is high on him, as well, but hasn’t made a firm decision.

wab
Mod

I just want Elway to get off his fat ass and make a decision.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

G08 wrote:This is driving me crazy.

Latest I've heard on the radio is Bowles hasn't finalized anything and that he and Nagy talk all the time. Take that for whatever it's worth.
Bowles is my guy if Fangio leaves. He's more aggressive than Fangio and I think he'd not allow those long 3rd down completions that frustrated us at times.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

So who is going to replace him? You can bet that he is going to take Donatell with him. That's almost a given.

One name that came up, that's interesting to me is Jay Rodgers, the current Bears DL coach. He has obviously done a nice job with Hicks, Goldman and Nichols, as well as RRH to a lesser extent. He's younger, and possibly a better generational fit with Nagy. However, I also understand the argument that Nagy really needs an experienced DC for that side of the ball. Someone who will be able to run the defense without a lot of supervision. What about a DC from college?
G08
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:

Bowles is my guy if Fangio leaves. He's more aggressive than Fangio and I think he'd not allow those long 3rd down completions that frustrated us at times.
Me too but there's a chance he follows Arians.

How do people feel about Chuck Pagano?

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:

Bowles is going to Tampa with Arians. They worked well together when Arians was in Arizona. Almost a guarantee.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:

Me too but there's a chance he follows Arians.

How do people feel about Chuck Pagano?
I want someone that won't be pining for a HC job next year. We need a candidate that will be here for 3-4 years.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:

Bowles is going to Tampa with Arians. They worked well together when Arians was in Arizona. Almost a guarantee.
Nagy and Bowles have been talking. If I was Bowles Chicago much better off than Tampa Bay to come to
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am sad it seems we will be definitely losing Fangio, but I am happy for him to get the opportunity to step up

I too think Bowles would be a nice replacement ... and I think he will be ok as a DC for the next few yeas before trying to get a top job again ... one of his interviews sounded like he was disappointed to be fired by the Jets but at the same time relieved
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I don't know about Pagano. I just don't like that dude's vibe.

I think Jay Rodgers is a definite possibility. He knows both sides of the ball having previously been a QB coach at various colleges. That perspective plus the work he's done with the DL could make for a hell of a DC.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Mike Caldwell - Jets LB coach/assistant HC. Played for the Bears in the early 2000's and worked with Nagy in Philly and would probably run a variation of Bowles system. I'm sure Bowles has spoken highly of him to Nagy if they talk a lot.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:

Nagy and Bowles have been talking. If I was Bowles Chicago much better off than Tampa Bay to come to
Do you think that Bowles is holding on to see what happens with Fangio? I mean it wouldn't surprise me, but the word on the street is, he's going to Tampa. But I completely agree with you. Given the choice as a coordinator, do you want to coach the Tampa defense, or the best defense in the league for 2018? Kind of a no brainer.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Bowles would be an absolute fool to not at least CONSIDER the Chicago job. We have the best defense in the NFL. The Buccaneers are turrible and ran a 4-3 last year.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Probably comes down to the almighty $. Always does no matter what people say. And I can't blame peeps for it either. Get it while you can.
G08
Hall of Famer

Latest I heard is that Munchak is the favorite but Fangio is so hell-bent on getting this job that he's telling Elway he'll let him pick his staff...

SgtPerry
Journeyman

G08 wrote:Latest I heard is that Munchak is the favorite but Fangio is so hell-bent on getting this job that he's telling Elway he'll let him pick his staff...
Woah, so he is really looking forward to becoming a HC (really much more than we initially thought).
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

No he has talked about being a HC. If he wasn't interested he would not interview. Good for him trying like hell to fulfill his dream
G08
Hall of Famer

Yeah hearing that on the radio surprised me... sounds like dude might know this is only shot at the gig.

VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Looks like Denver's dithering has cost us the chance to get Bowles. He has accepted DC with the Bucs.
G08
Hall of Famer

3 of the top 5 defenses last season all had roots with the 2010's (ish) Baltimore Ravens. I found that interesting

G08
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:Looks like Denver's dithering has cost us the chance to get Bowles. He has accepted DC with the Bucs.
Link?

VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:Looks like Denver's dithering has cost us the chance to get Bowles. He has accepted DC with the Bucs.
Link?

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/1/9/18175131/former-jets-head-coach-todd-bowles-has-a-new-job-as-buccaneers-defensive-coordinator
G08
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
G08 wrote:
Link?

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/1/9/18175131/former-jets-head-coach-todd-bowles-has-a-new-job-as-buccaneers-defensive-coordinator
Greg Gabriel on the radio after this article was put out said nothing was finalized. Who knows... Jesus Christ we go 12-4 and I'm STILL freaking out about coaching hires :lol:

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

If the Bears D had middling talent I would be worried, but with the talent they have I am sure Nagy has guys in mind if Vic is gone. I think the D will be alright. Not sweating anything.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
G08 wrote:
Link?

Greg Gabriel on the radio after this article was put out said nothing was finalized. Who knows... Jesus Christ we go 12-4 and I'm STILL freaking out about coaching hires :lol:
HAHA I'm right there with you. It's decades of conditioning from strings of disappointments.
But, with the talent to work with, we are not going to have to settle for a "Mel Tucker" like DC again.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bye bye Fangio.

Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Follow Follow @AdamSchefter
More
Denver reached agreement with Bears’ DC Vic Fangio to become the Broncos’ next head coach, sources tell me and @DanGrazianoESPN. It will be a four-year deal plus a team option for a fifth, per source.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
G08 wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
G08 wrote:
Link?

HAHA I'm right there with you. It's decades of conditioning from strings of disappointments.
But, with the talent to work with, we are not going to have to settle for a "Mel Tucker" like DC again.
Feel like I'm walking around on marbles with names being thrown around that I'm not familiar with. :?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.