Update: Denver/Fangio agree to 4yr deal - Bears need a DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:My die hard Bronco loving nephew in Denver is saying there are multiple rumors that Elway's guy is Munchak.
Munchak would make more sense than Fangio. I can't imagine Elway replacing Fangio seems like Fox part II.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Can't see Ryan and Nagy together. That is an odd combo.
Absolutely.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Absolutely.
Nagy needs a strongman as his defensive coordinator. Sometimes that comes with a personality.

Ryan runs kind of a 3-4, 4-4, 4-6 thing and with his pedigree he could do some awesome things here.

We've got some serious players on defense. Our coach is offensive mind. We can't be taking some other teams linebackers coach or whatever and put him in charge of this defense for the first time in his career. We need a name.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Absolutely.
Nagy needs a strongman as his defensive coordinator. Sometimes that comes with a personality.

Ryan runs kind of a 3-4, 4-4, 4-6 thing and with his pedigree he could do some awesome things here.

We've got some serious players on defense. Our coach is offensive mind. We can't be taking some other teams linebackers coach or whatever and put him in charge of this defense for the first time in his career. We need a name.
Yeah. But Ryan’s personality is too big. You need and experienced DC, that will go about his business, and is not interested in the spotlight. I think Bowles would be a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wab
Mod

Rex Ryan is a good coach. He's also a bombastic meatball doofus that loves to hear himself talk and has turned everything he has touched to ash since leaving Baltimore. I don't want him anywhere near the Bears.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:Rex Ryan is a good coach. He's also a bombastic meatball doofus that loves to hear himself talk and has turned everything he has touched to ash since leaving Baltimore. I don't want him anywhere near the Bears.
Fucking A to this !

I want Vic back, but if he gets the chance to be an HC and wants it, I can't begrudge the man his dreams.
Todd Bowles would be my top choice for replacement. Rex Ryan can stay the heck away from our team.
wab
Mod

Appears to be down to Fangio and Munchak. Should know by the end of the day if Vic is gone. My gut says he is.

Aaron Leming

Verified account

@AaronLemingNFL
12m12 minutes ago
More Aaron Leming Retweeted Mike Klis
Klis reporting that Fangio might have the slight edge between the two.

My guess is we know by the end of today what Denver's decision will be. #BearsAaron Leming added,
Mike Klis
Verified account

@MikeKlis
Broncos coaching search appears to be choice of Fangio or Munchak http://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl ... 21ebf30f2c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … via @9NEWS #9sports
wab
Mod

But there are other reports saying Munchak is the favorite. So who knows.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I just find it hard to believe, with all of their offensive struggles, that Elway is going to bring in a 60+ year-old, first time defensive head coach. I just don't get it. Separate the fact that I would like Fangio to stay, logically it doesn't make sense.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I just find it hard to believe, with all of their offensive struggles, that Elway is going to bring in a 60+ year-old, first time defensive head coach. I just don't get it. Separate the fact that I would like Fangio to stay, logically it doesn't make sense.
Well.... is Elway actually a good GM?!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Rex Ryan is a good coach. He's also a bombastic meatball doofus that loves to hear himself talk and has turned everything he has touched to ash since leaving Baltimore. I don't want him anywhere near the Bears.
This right here.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He has Kubiak in the wings to take over the O is my guess.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I just find it hard to believe, with all of their offensive struggles, that Elway is going to bring in a 60+ year-old, first time defensive head coach. I just don't get it. Separate the fact that I would like Fangio to stay, logically it doesn't make sense.
The way I see it... Fangio ostensibly is the best defensive mind in football. The risk with hiring defensive minded head coaches is that they could lose quality offensive coordinators. Well, Elway has his stud in Gary Kubiak. This dude will do anything for Elway and already has expressed he has zero desire to be a head coach again. It's win-win for them and I hate it if it happens.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

GSH
MVP

im seeing that munchak is favourite to get the broncos hc gig
G08
Hall of Famer

Keep the updates coming!

wab
Mod

Man... part of me would really like to see what an aggressive guy like Bowles could do with this defense. I love Fangio and am thrilled with this defense... but that three man rush on the last drive was infuriating.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Man... part of me would really like to see what an aggressive guy like Bowles could do with this defense. I love Fangio and am thrilled with this defense... but that three man rush on the last drive was infuriating.
Agreed but it sounds like Bowles is reuniting with Arians...

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Man... part of me would really like to see what an aggressive guy like Bowles could do with this defense. I love Fangio and am thrilled with this defense... but that three man rush on the last drive was infuriating.
You don't think Nagy has called his pal and said "hey man, give me until the end of the day before you decide".
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
You don't think Nagy has called his pal and said "hey man, give me until the end of the day before you decide".
Any DC worth his salt would fall all over themselves for a chance to coach this Bears defense. If your goal is to win a Super Bowl as a coordinator, are you going to the Jameis Winston led Buccaneers, or the 12-4 Bears with Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks?

Yes...that was a rhetorical question.
wab
Mod

Greg Gabriel

@greggabe
9m9 minutes ago
More
Going into interview yesterday Fangio was running far behind Munchak for Denver job. Has closed the gap but I don’t know by how much
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Hey, you're preaching to the choir my friend. I just am in my "the sky is falling" mindset since that shitty playoff loss.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Hey, you're preaching to the choir my friend. I just am in my "the sky is falling" mindset since that shitty playoff loss.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This article states it is between Munchak and Pagano. this was prior to Vic interviewing.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/01/06/ ... hc-search/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:This article states it is between Munchak and Pagano. this was prior to Vic interviewing.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/01/06/ ... hc-search/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I could see Pagano being a good fit there. Elway will be looking for a solid offense, and an experienced HC. Pagano qualifies better than Munchak.
G08
Hall of Famer

Arians to Buccaneers confirmed, his top target for DC is Todd Bowles.

BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote:Arians to Buccaneers confirmed, his top target for DC is Todd Bowles.
I would love to have Bowles if Fangio leaves. I think he’d do a heck of a job with this unit.
GSH
MVP

conflicting reports coming out of denver, but last i heard was that Munchak is in denver and staying at Elways Ranch..so ...who the fuck knows anymore.

:sick:
GSH
MVP

Todd Bowles joins Arians as DC for the bucs, confirmed
malk
Head Coach

GSH wrote:Todd Bowles joins Arians as DC for the bucs, confirmed
Really surprising, as mentioned above, you'd think that any popular DC would be willing to hold off slightly to see how the Bears gig pans out. It must be a dream job to walk into!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
MoFugger
Head Coach

malk wrote:
GSH wrote:Todd Bowles joins Arians as DC for the bucs, confirmed
Really surprising, as mentioned above, you'd think that any popular DC would be willing to hold off slightly to see how the Bears gig pans out. It must be a dream job to walk into!
Reuniting with BA doesn't exactly suck for Bowles either. And the Bears job isn't open.