Update: Denver/Fangio agree to 4yr deal - Bears need a DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Todd Bowles To Choose Between Bears, Bucs
January 9th, 2019 at 12:24pm CST by Zach Links

Todd Bowles to the Buccaneers is not a done deal. The former Jets head coach was said to be on board as the Bucs’ new DC, but he is now deciding between that job and the same position with the Bears, Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune hears.

Bowles and Matt Nagy have spoken multiple times, Biggs writes, and their longstanding relationship could lead him to Chicago. Then again, Bowles also has serious ties with new Bucs head coach Bruce Arians.

Nagy’s father coached Bowles in high school, but Arians coached Bowles when he played at Temple. Years later, Bowles served as Arians’ defensive coordinator in Arizona.

Friendships and history aside, the Bears might offer Bowles’ quickest ticket back into the head coaching ranks. With a defense led by superstar Khalil Mack and a 2018 record of 12-4, the Bears are in prime position to win and potentially vault their next DC up the NFL’s ladder.

If the Bears do not hire Bowles, in-house secondary coach Ed Donatell could be a consideration. Donatell is out of contract, however, and Biggs hears that he’ll likely leave if he does not get the promotion.
docc
Head Coach

Brent Venibles..Clemson DC..?
wab
Mod

Ryan Witkowski

Verified account

@RyanWitkowski
Follow Follow @RyanWitkowski
More
As much as I wanted Todd Bowles to land here in Kansas City, sources tell me he is headed to the Bears as their new DC.
wab
Mod

Arians is gonna be pissed if that tweet is true.

Greg Auman

Verified account

@gregauman
Follow Follow @gregauman
More
Bruce Arians tells @richeisen of Todd Bowles that "we're really excited to be back together." Says he's "like a son to me."
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bowles quickest way back to HC? For me turning around a mediocre to bad D would be more impressive than maintaining an excellent D. he comes here the D is expected to be good due to the talent. If the D gets worse even by a little bit, he would lose credibility, IMO.
wab
Mod

I'd think it would be less about getting back to a HC job and more about how far apart are those two defenses from winning a ring?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My nephew in Denver is thrilled and states that most of the fans he knows are as well. Additionally, they do not want Kubiak anywhere near that offense.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bowles sure sounds good to me.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Fangio tabs Kubiak as OC...er...I mean...Elway hires Vic's OC for him...
Gary Kubiak to return to coaching as Broncos offensive coordinator
Posted by Charean Williams on January 9, 2019, 12:50 PM EST

Getty Images
The last time the Broncos won a Super Bowl, Gary Kubiak was their head coach. Kubiak, who left coaching for two seasons for health reasons, will return as the Broncos’ offensive coordinator, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

The Broncos hired Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio as their head coach Wednesday.

Kubiak, 57, spent the past two seasons as a scouting and personnel advisor for the team after resigning as its head coach in January 2017.

He went 21-11 as the team’s head coach.

Kubiak was John Elway’s backup quarterback in Denver and later Elway’s offensive coordinator with the Broncos, serving in that role from 1995-2005.

Thirteen times Kubiak’s offenses have finished in the top 10 in yards, and 15 times a Kubiak offense has ranked in the top 10 in points.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Arians is gonna be pissed if that tweet is true.

Greg Auman

Verified account

@gregauman
Follow Follow @gregauman
More
Bruce Arians tells @richeisen of Todd Bowles that "we're really excited to be back together." Says he's "like a son to me."
Heard this. Sounds like it’s a last gasp desperation move by Arians to keep Bowles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G08
Hall of Famer

Yeah I had that pegged for Denver. Great fucking move by them, assholes.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Yeah I had that pegged for Denver. Great fucking move by them, assholes.
I don't know man. I've seen what happens when a GM hires a guy to run one side of the ball for his HC (stares in Mel Tucker).
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

And the puppetteering begins.
G08
Hall of Famer

Benjamin Allbright

@AllbrightNFL
Early rumor is the Broncos are going to try to bring Ed Donatell in as DC.

G08
Hall of Famer

If Todd Bowles is our DC, I'm going to say that every sack is a "bowels movement"

:rimshot:

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Mike Nolan, NO LB coach

Chris Hewitt, Raven DB coach. He would be intriguing seeing as what they have built down there.
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Mike Nolan, NO LB coach

Chris Hewitt, Raven DB coach. He would be intriguing seeing as what they have built down there.
I think 3 of the top 5 or 6 defenses this past season (scoring) were run by Ravens or former Ravens coaches.

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:If Todd Bowles is our DC, I'm going to say that every sack is a "bowels movement"

:rimshot:

Now that’s funny, good one man!

I’m all for Bowls, I can’t imagine why he would want to go to Tampa over the Bears. Get it done Nagy.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:I can’t imagine why he would want to go to Tampa over the Bears. Get it done Nagy.
Unless he agreed in principal. By all accounts the dude is a man of integrity and might not be willing to go back on his agreement with Arians to take the Bears gig.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bye Bye Boles.

G08
Hall of Famer

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
Buccaneers just worked out off-set language on Todd Bowles' contract with the Jets, and so Tampa Bay does have the new defensive coordinator it expected to land, per @mortreport.

VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

This news pleases me greatly! Bowles would be my top choice. Unless $ offered is the factor for him, I think he has a choice between being handed a broken down car with 2 good parts out of 11 and the job of rebuilding it before another coaching change happens, or being handed the keys to a new Lambo. Hopefully he will see it that way as well. If we cannot get Bowels, I like Donatell fine. It would provide continuity at minimum. Greg Williams has the talent, and I wouldn't be against it, but I am not certain his personality meshes right with what Nagy is building.

I'm happy for Vic to get his dream, but sad for him that Elway is such a control freak. He gets to be head coach...mostly. I think in the end Vic will have issues with Elway.
wab
Mod

Not terribly surprised that Bowles stuck with his agreement.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

If it's not going to be Bowles, it makes sense to look for other Saints (Pace) or Eagles/Chiefs connections. Gregg Williams fits that mold, though the whole BountyGate thing with the Saints might be enough to quash that. He's a little overrated, in my view, but could conceivably fill the Vic Fangio role of curmudgeon who knows how to whip the D into shape.

Mike Caldwell (Todd Bowles' asst head coach/ILB coach with the Jets) is probably in limbo right now, but appears to still be under contract. He'd need permission to make a lateral move (the NFL typically considers all asst coach positions to be at the same level). Importantly, you'd be projecting — he's not been in a coordinator role before.

One guy who has both Saints and Chiefs connections? Gary Gibbs. He's older (66), but has DC experience, knows people with the Bears, and isn't currently under NFL contract (is a "defensive analyst" with Okla St).
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:Not terribly surprised that Bowles stuck with his agreement.
Darn...just saw it
wab
Mod

Greg Gabriel

@greggabe
16m16 minutes ago
More
Per source.. Bowles had told Arians he would be his DC. When Bears gig came open he had second thoughts as Bears job is better. Final decision was he didn’t want to go back on his word to Arians. Says a lot about his character
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Greg Gabriel

@greggabe
16m16 minutes ago
More
Per source.. Bowles had told Arians he would be his DC. When Bears gig came open he had second thoughts as Bears job is better. Final decision was he didn’t want to go back on his word to Arians. Says a lot about his character
todd bowles watching khalil mack play next year:

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Nice to see some guys still have integrity though, makes me kind of admire the dude all the more.

Brian Vangorder

It's a joke.
Bear Down
Rookie

Otis Day wrote:If the Bears D had middling talent I would be worried, but with the talent they have I am sure Nagy has guys in mind if Vic is gone. I think the D will be alright. Not sweating anything.
I think we got lucky fangio stayed around for a year. Nagy now has seen what works with our defense and what type of guy needs to lead them. Nagy had a year to just focus on offense in his first year and Not worry about Defense. I expect Nagy has a better standard today tha. He would have a year ago with NO D.C in his 1st year...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
wab wrote:Greg Gabriel

@greggabe
16m16 minutes ago
More
todd bowles watching khalil mack play next year:

HAHA! Totally. Arians made it sound through the press like, "don't you dare fucking back out on me Todd."