Update: Denver/Fangio agree to 4yr deal - Bears need a DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

IotaNet wrote:If Fangio leaves, Pace needs to be dialing Todd Bowles with the quickness.
Yeah, I want him to stay. Bad.

But if he leaves, I’d have Nagy on the phone to Bowles immediately playing up that childhood friendship. I think the defense would continue rolling.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Who knows if he even really wants to be a HC, move his family and start from the ground up? Some people may love that idea, but some people (like me) would be very content with coordinating a defense that could be one of the best units in the modern era. So here's to hoping Fangio hangs around for at least a few years and a few Super Bowl parades in Chicago.
wab
Mod

AZ_Bearfan wrote:Who knows if he even really wants to be a HC, move his family and start from the ground up? Some people may love that idea, but some people (like me) would be very content with coordinating a defense that could be one of the best units in the modern era. So here's to hoping Fangio hangs around for at least a few years and a few Super Bowl parades in Chicago.
Why go to Miami where you will probably be fired in two years when you could stay in Chicago and be a legend in two years.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Anyone know what Fangio's current contract is like?
Should Pace just walk into his office with an outrageous extension/contract rework so that he is less inclined to want to leave? I don't know enough to comment really but is it possible to speculate how much is Fangio worth vs how much we do or should pay him?

I sure as hell hope he doesn't go anywhere....
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:Who knows if he even really wants to be a HC, move his family and start from the ground up? Some people may love that idea, but some people (like me) would be very content with coordinating a defense that could be one of the best units in the modern era. So here's to hoping Fangio hangs around for at least a few years and a few Super Bowl parades in Chicago.
While I agree wholeheartedly with hoping Fangio stays put, the fact that he's actually participated in multiple head coaching vacancy interviews tells me that's what he wants.

My mind pictures Ursula from The Little Mermaid singing into Fangio's ear about wanting more than he's already got.
Last edited by Mikefive on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

skamanfrank wrote:Anyone know what Fangio's current contract is like?
Should Pace just walk into his office with an outrageous extension/contract rework so that he is less inclined to want to leave? I don't know enough to comment really but is it possible to speculate how much is Fangio worth vs how much we do or should pay him?

I sure as hell hope he doesn't go anywhere....
I thought I heard that he's the highest DC in the league at $1.5M/year.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The radio this a.m. reported he makes slightly over $2 mil.

Head coach gets paid more than that. I don't think you can pay him much more. If he doesn't feel appreciated here at the moment - he is a dick.

He has expressed desire at being an HC. No money will keep him from that if he is offered a HC job. I am not sure he has what it takes. If he goes, he goes. There is a lot of talent here to work with
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:The radio this a.m. reported he makes slightly over $2 mil.

Head coach gets paid more than that. I don't think you can pay him much more. If he doesn't feel appreciated here at the moment - he is a dick.

He has expressed desire at being an HC. No money will keep him from that if he is offered a HC job. I am not sure he has what it takes. If he goes, he goes. There is a lot of talent here to work with
I don't want to call him a dick -- I went that route last off-season -- but I can't ever hate on a dude who is chasing after a dream.

I just hope he knows what he has here and if he goes to the Dolphins, he's got a long ways to go and not more than 3 years to accomplish it I believe.

Denver is who scares me. They have pieces there to make his defense go.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

skamanfrank
Journeyman

G08 wrote:
Otis Day wrote:The radio this a.m. reported he makes slightly over $2 mil.

I don't want to call him a dick -- I went that route last off-season -- but I can't ever hate on a dude who is chasing after a dream.

I just hope he knows what he has here and if he goes to the Dolphins, he's got a long ways to go and not more than 3 years to accomplish it I believe.

Denver is who scares me. They have pieces there to make his defense go.
Agreed. That D would be awesome if he can create something similar to what he has here...
IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote: ... I don't want to call him a dick -- I went that route last off-season -- but I can't ever hate on a dude who is chasing after a dream ...
Exactly. As much as we want him to stay, you can never begrudge people for trying to follow their star. PLUS, Vic Fangio is not the only successful DC that ever lived. At this point, I trust Pace and Nagy enough to find a rockstar replacement if it comes to that.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am not calling him a dick if he leaves. I said if he doesn't feel appreciated here (highest paid coordinator I believe, making $2+ mil a year), that would make him a dick.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
G08 wrote: ... I don't want to call him a dick -- I went that route last off-season -- but I can't ever hate on a dude who is chasing after a dream ...
Exactly. As much as we want him to stay, you can never begrudge people for trying to follow their star. PLUS, Vic Fangio is not the only successful DC that ever lived. At this point, I trust Pace and Nagy enough to find a rockstar replacement if it comes to that.
Bernstein on the SCORE was talking about this on Monday, I think. It's not like Fangio is going to leave and take the defense with him. Fangio and Mack aren't a package deal. We will still have the same defense as we had this year. And who's to say. Maybe a guy like Todd Bowles comes in here, and takes the defense to a whole other level (if that's even possible, and if it is, it may be illegal).
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Fangio is such an important element to this Bears team ... he has the entire defense buying into whatever game plan he comes up with week to week, and executing it at a very high level

when was the last Bears team that had so many non-starters rotating into the defense and continuing to make plays like the starter they replaced? I am speaking primarily of the defensive line ... a few plays early in the season where guys I was not aware were on the roster came up with big plays got my attention ... and that level of effort remained constant all year

I was happy he built a decent enough defense last year with scraps and I am ecstatic with what he has done this year with some top line talent blended with young fresh guys

I don't want to see him leave, but I won't hold it against him if he jumps at one of the HC spots
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Bernstein on the SCORE was talking about this on Monday, I think. It's not like Fangio is going to leave and take the defense with him. Fangio and Mack aren't a package deal. We will still have the same defense as we had this year. And who's to say. Maybe a guy like Todd Bowles comes in here, and takes the defense to a whole other level (if that's even possible, and if it is, it may be illegal).
He's not taking the talent with him, but to see what Pace/Fangio did for this defense is staggering and I'm of the opinion they haven't even peaked yet. I'd hate -- HATE -- to see him leave because I think this could be turning into something special.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

wab wrote:Why go to Miami where you will probably be fired in two years when you could stay in Chicago and be a legend in two years.
Bingo.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
He's not taking the talent with him, but to see what Pace/Fangio did for this defense is staggering and I'm of the opinion they haven't even peaked yet. I'd hate -- HATE -- to see him leave because I think this could be turning into something special.
I'm hoping that Fangio takes on the "finish what he started" mentality. But also understand that at 60, this is probably his last shot. Especially the way the league is trending. Admittedly, Fangio LOVES the city of Chicago. Personally I think that Denver would be a disaster (Elway is going to tell him who is QB will be, and how to run the offense), while Miami is an ownership disaster, and has a shitty fanbase.

I think we need to put together a Fangio "Don't Go" video montage, replete with highlights from on the field, and at press conferences.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

FYI.... in the press conference happening now....

Fangio takes the podium and his first question:
Reporter: "How are you balancing your time between preparing for Philadelphia and your interviews
Fangio: "I've done zero on the second part. Zero. Zero. Zero"

A few questions later:
Reporter: "Flattering, to get job interviews?"
Fangio: "I guess. But I don't get flattered that much"

I know that it's just his manner, but he does not seem particularly bothered in any interviews right now ha!!
G08
Hall of Famer

skamanfrank wrote:FYI.... in the press conference happening now....

Reporter: "How are you balancing your time between preparing for Philadelphia and your interviews

A few questions later:

I know that it's just his manner, but he does not seem particularly bothered in any interviews right now ha!!
Vic Fangio said he’s done ‘zero’ work to prepare for head coaching interviews next week. ‘Maybe that’s why I’m here,’ he quipped
God I love him :lol:

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:

A few questions later:

Vic Fangio said he’s done ‘zero’ work to prepare for head coaching interviews next week. ‘Maybe that’s why I’m here,’ he quipped
He is something special on that podium, huh? The guy just has zero bullshit about him.

It sounds like a canned, coachspeak answer, "I am concentrating on the game in front of us on Sunday..." But with Vic, you know it's the absolute truth.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

That's awesome
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He cannot be interviewed until Monday and it has to be in Chicago if I heard correctly. In that case, he has probably not given it a thought, he has a game to worry about.
For assistant coaches on teams playing on wild-card weekend, they cannot interview for at all until after their team plays. Should that team lose, those assistants can interview for a head-coaching position without further limitation. In the event of a win, assistants can interview before the divisional round but only in their current employer’s home city. The assistant’s current team can also dictate which day the interview takes place.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018 ... dates-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

I have this weird feeling in the pit of my gut, right next to the breakfast burrito, that Vic is 50/50 going to either stay with the Bears, or end up as the HC of the Broncos.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Maybe, just maybe Vic can see the future dumpster fire that Elway is creating in Denver. But if he did go to Denver, I bet at some point he punches Elway.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:

A few questions later:

Me too. I've said for a couple years that Fangio is the best actual coach the Bears have had in maybe ever.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I just cannot see Elway and Fangio co-existing. I can see Elway hiring him and then trying to force things upon Vic. I can see Elway going all Jerry Jones on him and that would be the end of that.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It's easy to see why a guy like Nagy would interview well. His positivity and charisma would come across in flying colors. But from the same perspective, I think a Fangio interview would be something like the opposite. He's pretty dry as coaches go. And you get the feeling that he thinks before he speaks. Combine that with his no-BS attitude, I'd expect him to answer some questions in a way that would be unsatisfactory for GMs. "In situation X, would you be willing to tap dance your way thru interviews in order to deflect blame from...."
Of course, Bill Belicheck got hired twice. So I'm not saying some GM won't look past his gruffness and make the move with Fangio. But I think there's a good chance that his demeanor isn't what teams are generally looking for and that he won't survive the interview processes.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I find it hard to believe that Fangio's personality and demeanor would lend itself to a HC position. He's a brilliant defensive mind, and 10 years ago, he probably would have been at the top of the list for open positions. But in this new NFL, it's clear that owners are looking for young, offensive minded coaches. Additionally, if Elway already ran Fox out of the building (a defensive minded HC) for being too conservative and stodgy, why in holy hell would he go back to the same type of coach in Vic Fangio? I don't see it.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I find it hard to believe that Fangio's personality and demeanor would lend itself to a HC position. He's a brilliant defensive mind, and 10 years ago, he probably would have been at the top of the list for open positions. But in this new NFL, it's clear that owners are looking for young, offensive minded coaches. Additionally, if Elway already ran Fox out of the building (a defensive minded HC) for being too conservative and stodgy, why in holy hell would he go back to the same type of coach in Vic Fangio? I don't see it.
The thing is we don't know what kind of offensive philosophy Fangio has. Defensive coaches, traditionally, like to run the ball, bleed the clock and do just enough in the passing game to win.

Maybe Elway wants Fangio to run that defense and say hey, I have Gary Kubiak here who knows how to establish the run game and make plays in the passing game. Let him do his thing like Nagy let you do your thing on defense here and you can call the rest of the shots.

Might be tough to pass up, especially if Von Miller is still there next to Bradley Chubb.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I find it hard to believe that Fangio's personality and demeanor would lend itself to a HC position. He's a brilliant defensive mind, and 10 years ago, he probably would have been at the top of the list for open positions. But in this new NFL, it's clear that owners are looking for young, offensive minded coaches. Additionally, if Elway already ran Fox out of the building (a defensive minded HC) for being too conservative and stodgy, why in holy hell would he go back to the same type of coach in Vic Fangio? I don't see it.
The thing is we don't know what kind of offensive philosophy Fangio has. Defensive coaches, traditionally, like to run the ball, bleed the clock and do just enough in the passing game to win.

Maybe Elway wants Fangio to run that defense and say hey, I have Gary Kubiak here who knows how to establish the run game and make plays in the passing game. Let him do his thing like Nagy let you do your thing on defense here and you can call the rest of the shots.

Might be tough to pass up, especially if Von Miller is still there next to Bradley Chubb.
So the message from Elway to Vic is; "I will make you a head coach in name only. We will take care of the offense, you handle the defense." Really, there are more playmakers on this defense than there are on the Broncos.

How is that different from what he has now? Other than the paycheck (which McCaskey can rectify).
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:

So the message from Elway to Vic is; "I will make you a head coach in name only. We will take care of the offense, you handle the defense." Really, there are more playmakers on this defense than there are on the Broncos.

How is that different from what he has now? Other than the paycheck (which McCaskey can rectify).
Paycheck, promotion, there's only 32 of these jobs on the planet man. IF it really is a life-long dream of his, that is tough to pass up IMO. Don't get me wrong, I hope he never leaves :)