Update: Denver/Fangio agree to 4yr deal - Bears need a DC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He cannot be interviewed until Monday and it has to be in Chicago if I heard correctly. In that case, he has probably not given it a thought, he has a game to worry about.
For assistant coaches on teams playing on wild-card weekend, they cannot interview for at all until after their team plays. Should that team lose, those assistants can interview for a head-coaching position without further limitation. In the event of a win, assistants can interview before the divisional round but only in their current employer’s home city. The assistant’s current team can also dictate which day the interview takes place.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018 ... dates-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

I have this weird feeling in the pit of my gut, right next to the breakfast burrito, that Vic is 50/50 going to either stay with the Bears, or end up as the HC of the Broncos.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Maybe, just maybe Vic can see the future dumpster fire that Elway is creating in Denver. But if he did go to Denver, I bet at some point he punches Elway.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
skamanfrank wrote:FYI.... in the press conference happening now....

Fangio takes the podium and his first question:
Reporter: "How are you balancing your time between preparing for Philadelphia and your interviews
Fangio: "I've done zero on the second part. Zero. Zero. Zero"

A few questions later:
Reporter: "Flattering, to get job interviews?"
Fangio: "I guess. But I don't get flattered that much"

I know that it's just his manner, but he does not seem particularly bothered in any interviews right now ha!!
Vic Fangio said he’s done ‘zero’ work to prepare for head coaching interviews next week. ‘Maybe that’s why I’m here,’ he quipped
God I love him :lol:
Me too. I've said for a couple years that Fangio is the best actual coach the Bears have had in maybe ever.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I just cannot see Elway and Fangio co-existing. I can see Elway hiring him and then trying to force things upon Vic. I can see Elway going all Jerry Jones on him and that would be the end of that.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It's easy to see why a guy like Nagy would interview well. His positivity and charisma would come across in flying colors. But from the same perspective, I think a Fangio interview would be something like the opposite. He's pretty dry as coaches go. And you get the feeling that he thinks before he speaks. Combine that with his no-BS attitude, I'd expect him to answer some questions in a way that would be unsatisfactory for GMs. "In situation X, would you be willing to tap dance your way thru interviews in order to deflect blame from...."
Of course, Bill Belicheck got hired twice. So I'm not saying some GM won't look past his gruffness and make the move with Fangio. But I think there's a good chance that his demeanor isn't what teams are generally looking for and that he won't survive the interview processes.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I find it hard to believe that Fangio's personality and demeanor would lend itself to a HC position. He's a brilliant defensive mind, and 10 years ago, he probably would have been at the top of the list for open positions. But in this new NFL, it's clear that owners are looking for young, offensive minded coaches. Additionally, if Elway already ran Fox out of the building (a defensive minded HC) for being too conservative and stodgy, why in holy hell would he go back to the same type of coach in Vic Fangio? I don't see it.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I find it hard to believe that Fangio's personality and demeanor would lend itself to a HC position. He's a brilliant defensive mind, and 10 years ago, he probably would have been at the top of the list for open positions. But in this new NFL, it's clear that owners are looking for young, offensive minded coaches. Additionally, if Elway already ran Fox out of the building (a defensive minded HC) for being too conservative and stodgy, why in holy hell would he go back to the same type of coach in Vic Fangio? I don't see it.
The thing is we don't know what kind of offensive philosophy Fangio has. Defensive coaches, traditionally, like to run the ball, bleed the clock and do just enough in the passing game to win.

Maybe Elway wants Fangio to run that defense and say hey, I have Gary Kubiak here who knows how to establish the run game and make plays in the passing game. Let him do his thing like Nagy let you do your thing on defense here and you can call the rest of the shots.

Might be tough to pass up, especially if Von Miller is still there next to Bradley Chubb.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I find it hard to believe that Fangio's personality and demeanor would lend itself to a HC position. He's a brilliant defensive mind, and 10 years ago, he probably would have been at the top of the list for open positions. But in this new NFL, it's clear that owners are looking for young, offensive minded coaches. Additionally, if Elway already ran Fox out of the building (a defensive minded HC) for being too conservative and stodgy, why in holy hell would he go back to the same type of coach in Vic Fangio? I don't see it.
The thing is we don't know what kind of offensive philosophy Fangio has. Defensive coaches, traditionally, like to run the ball, bleed the clock and do just enough in the passing game to win.

Maybe Elway wants Fangio to run that defense and say hey, I have Gary Kubiak here who knows how to establish the run game and make plays in the passing game. Let him do his thing like Nagy let you do your thing on defense here and you can call the rest of the shots.

Might be tough to pass up, especially if Von Miller is still there next to Bradley Chubb.
So the message from Elway to Vic is; "I will make you a head coach in name only. We will take care of the offense, you handle the defense." Really, there are more playmakers on this defense than there are on the Broncos.

How is that different from what he has now? Other than the paycheck (which McCaskey can rectify).
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:

So the message from Elway to Vic is; "I will make you a head coach in name only. We will take care of the offense, you handle the defense." Really, there are more playmakers on this defense than there are on the Broncos.

How is that different from what he has now? Other than the paycheck (which McCaskey can rectify).
Paycheck, promotion, there's only 32 of these jobs on the planet man. IF it really is a life-long dream of his, that is tough to pass up IMO. Don't get me wrong, I hope he never leaves :)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Elway had a defensive/conservative guy in Fox and we all saw him get out of that. Then he brings in an offensive guy like Kubiak and wins. Kubiak retires and he brings in a defensive guy in Vance. I don't see Elway going for a defensive guy at all unless that guy has a top notch offensive guru in his hip pocket. I don't think Fangio has that.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:

Paycheck, promotion, there's only 32 of these jobs on the planet man. IF it really is a life-long dream of his, that is tough to pass up IMO. Don't get me wrong, I hope he never leaves :)
To your point...there are only 32 NFL Defensive Coordinator positions on the planet as well. He can go and be a freshman, moderately paid head coach. OR he can be the best, and highest paid Defensive Coordinator in the league.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

A DC is still an underling, a HC is the big kahuna. I don't know too many people with strong egos that want to be a lifelong assistant. If he wasn't interested in becoming a head coach, he wouldn't take the interview.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Please, someone take him. Dude choked big time. On the last drive to surrender a TD. Also let his defense play with 10 guys on the touchdown before. Fangio has failed us today.
IotaNet
MVP

I’m not going to pile onto Fangio ... but what in the world happened on that last drive???
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

They gave up 16 points! I will take that every single game all year long, playoffs and superbowl and take my chances every time.
MoFugger
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:They gave up 16 points! I will take that every single game all year long, playoffs and superbowl and take my chances every time.
And same here, drink any other game.
but there was one drive that the Bears defense had to pin their ears back and get after the quarterback.
Instead, they were in a cover- shell
MoFugger
Head Coach

I will drive Vic fangio to whatever interview he wants to take. He has done a phenomenal job with this defense,
But it is time to move on.
wab
Mod

MoFugger wrote:I will drive Vic fangio to whatever interview he wants to take. He has done a phenomenal job with this defense,
Your irrational hate for Fangio is weirder than my irrational hate for Leno.

They were the best defense in the NFL. This is the first time in 8 games that they’ve given up more than one touchdown.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Your irrational hate for Fangio is weirder than my irrational hate for Leno.

They were the best defense in the NFL. This is the first time in 8 games that they’ve given up more than one touchdown.
+1.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote:
MoFugger wrote:I will drive Vic fangio to whatever interview he wants to take. He has done a phenomenal job with this defense,

I'm drunk, and I'm not going to wake up in the morning in fangio Jersey.
So fuck you!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote: Your irrational hate for Fangio is weirder than my irrational hate for Leno.

+1.
+2
MoFugger
Head Coach

Call The cover 3 shell 2 plays in a row?
Lovie Smith might as well has been calling that difference from the grave.
Vic is one hell of a technical coach, but his calling on game days has been pathetic for 10 years, and that's how he wound up here.
ANY situation that gets him out of here, and Bowles our new defensive coordinator, I'm all for it.
wab
Mod

MoFugger wrote:
wab wrote:

I'm drunk, and I'm not going to wake up in the morning in fangio Jersey.
So fuck you!
It’s a t-shirt. And at least I’m self aware enough to know my irrational hatred is silly.
GSH
MVP

monday morning, halas hall.

hey, wheres coach fangio?

i dunno, said he was just popping to the store for some smokes...
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

I feel like that 10-man defense is going to cost him being picked as a HC.
SgtPerry
Journeyman

KOP_Snake wrote:I feel like that 10-man defense is going to cost him being picked as a HC.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
skamanfrank
Journeyman

southdakbearfan wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:

+1.
+2
+3

To blame Fangio is just ludicrous. We would never have got to this game if it wasn't for his Defence. The 10 men on the field sucked, as did the penalty for having 12 on the field.

I reeeeeallly thought for a minute that we might have stopped them four times on the goal line :(
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

skamanfrank wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:

+1.
+2
+3

To blame Fangio is just ludicrous. We would never have got to this game if it wasn't for his Defence. The 10 men on the field sucked, as did the penalty for having 12 on the field.

I reeeeeallly thought for a minute that we might have stopped them four times on the goal line :(
+4

The offense shit the bed in the first half and then obviously the kicker at the end. You can't expect to win a playoff game scoring 15 points.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Agreed, but ultimately it wasn't one thing, it was a combination of offence, defence and kicking all coming up short.

Don't get me wrong, defence had a shocker of a drive at one point, but you have to consider the individual's responsibility and not pin it all on Fangio:

Amos helmet to helmet (14 yards 1st down)
12 men on the field (5 yards)
Amukamara pass interference (33 yards 1st down)