View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:30 pm 
Hall of Famer

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
Buccaneers just worked out off-set language on Todd Bowles' contract with the Jets, and so Tampa Bay does have the new defensive coordinator it expected to land, per @mortreport.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:31 pm 
Pro Bowler

This news pleases me greatly! Bowles would be my top choice. Unless $ offered is the factor for him, I think he has a choice between being handed a broken down car with 2 good parts out of 11 and the job of rebuilding it before another coaching change happens, or being handed the keys to a new Lambo. Hopefully he will see it that way as well. If we cannot get Bowels, I like Donatell fine. It would provide continuity at minimum. Greg Williams has the talent, and I wouldn't be against it, but I am not certain his personality meshes right with what Nagy is building.

I'm happy for Vic to get his dream, but sad for him that Elway is such a control freak. He gets to be head coach...mostly. I think in the end Vic will have issues with Elway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:35 pm 
Mod

Not terribly surprised that Bowles stuck with his agreement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:40 pm 
Assistant Coach

If it's not going to be Bowles, it makes sense to look for other Saints (Pace) or Eagles/Chiefs connections. Gregg Williams fits that mold, though the whole BountyGate thing with the Saints might be enough to quash that. He's a little overrated, in my view, but could conceivably fill the Vic Fangio role of curmudgeon who knows how to whip the D into shape.

Mike Caldwell (Todd Bowles' asst head coach/ILB coach with the Jets) is probably in limbo right now, but appears to still be under contract. He'd need permission to make a lateral move (the NFL typically considers all asst coach positions to be at the same level). Importantly, you'd be projecting — he's not been in a coordinator role before.

One guy who has both Saints and Chiefs connections? Gary Gibbs. He's older (66), but has DC experience, knows people with the Bears, and isn't currently under NFL contract (is a "defensive analyst" with Okla St).

This space for rent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:43 pm 
Pro Bowler

wab wrote:
Not terribly surprised that Bowles stuck with his agreement.

Darn...just saw it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:57 pm 
Mod

Greg Gabriel

@greggabe
16m16 minutes ago
More
Per source.. Bowles had told Arians he would be his DC. When Bears gig came open he had second thoughts as Bears job is better. Final decision was he didn’t want to go back on his word to Arians. Says a lot about his character

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:03 pm 
Head Coach

wab wrote:
Greg Gabriel

@greggabe
16m16 minutes ago
More
Per source.. Bowles had told Arians he would be his DC. When Bears gig came open he had second thoughts as Bears job is better. Final decision was he didn’t want to go back on his word to Arians. Says a lot about his character

todd bowles watching khalil mack play next year:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:13 pm 
Head Coach

Nice to see some guys still have integrity though, makes me kind of admire the dude all the more.

Brian Vangorder

It's a joke.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:22 pm 
Rookie

Otis Day wrote:
If the Bears D had middling talent I would be worried, but with the talent they have I am sure Nagy has guys in mind if Vic is gone. I think the D will be alright. Not sweating anything.
I think we got lucky fangio stayed around for a year. Nagy now has seen what works with our defense and what type of guy needs to lead them. Nagy had a year to just focus on offense in his first year and Not worry about Defense. I expect Nagy has a better standard today tha. He would have a year ago with NO D.C in his 1st year...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:37 pm 
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
wab wrote:
Greg Gabriel

@greggabe
16m16 minutes ago
More

todd bowles watching khalil mack play next year:

HAHA! Totally. Arians made it sound through the press like, "don't you dare fucking back out on me Todd."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next