What is everyone's opinion of the regular season Mitch had?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

BuddyRyans46 wrote: I am going to be pretty disappointed if his ceiling is as an Alex Smith type of QB, given where he was drafted and the fact that it would be really cool for the Bears to one day have their own Tom Brady or Drew Brees ,etc.
If he's the Alex Smith who was in KC, that's a pretty darned good QB.

So far, Tru isn't afraid to throw the ball down the field. If he keeps that up and plays otherwise like Alex Smith as a Chief, I'd be fine with that.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... d-rankings

Rankings from Rosenthal...
Mitch is sitting at 19. Rosenthal has Mayfield, Cousins, Dalton and Prescott ahead of Mitch, which I don't necessarily agree with, but the list gives us a metric of what most outsiders see.

I think 19 is a fair rating at this point ... that will improve as he does

the most puzzling routine failures -

* at times being seemingly unaware of the play clock
* the random "wtf?" interceptions

I think he is a good attentive student, and I think Nagy is the perfect teacher to help him progress ... and I am looking forward to seeing him get better and better over the next couple of seasons ... and beyond
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
BuddyRyans46
Practice Squad

Boris13c wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... d-rankings

Rankings from Rosenthal...
Mitch is sitting at 19. Rosenthal has Mayfield, Cousins, Dalton and Prescott ahead of Mitch, which I don't necessarily agree with, but the list gives us a metric of what most outsiders see.

I think 19 is a fair rating at this point ... that will improve as he does

the most puzzling routine failures -

* at times being seemingly unaware of the play clock
* the random "wtf?" interceptions

I think he is a good attentive student, and I think Nagy is the perfect teacher to help him progress ... and I am looking forward to seeing him get better and better over the next couple of seasons ... and beyond

I would also add his tendency to simply "miss" wide open receivers in the intermediate (15-20 yards) range by throwing wide or overthrowing them. Out of all of Trubisky's struggles this year, his inability to consistently hit wide open targets on "chunk plays" bothered me the most. Left me with the impression that Trubisky and the offense left a lot of yardage and points out on the field this year.
G08
Hall of Famer

BuddyRyans46 wrote: I would also add his tendency to simply "miss" wide open receivers in the intermediate (15-20 yards) range by throwing wide or overthrowing them. Out of all of Trubisky's struggles this year, his inability to consistently hit wide open targets on "chunk plays" bothered me the most. Left me with the impression that Trubisky and the offense left a lot of yardage and points out on the field this year.
That's my biggest issue with him and you're not wrong when you say this offense left a lot of yards and points on the field. However, it's a complex offense and what Trubisky has accomplished thus far in year 1 is nothing to scoff at.

The misses could be depth of route run by the WR/TE/RB as well, so we have to take that with a grain of salt. Regardless, I REALLY hope he focuses on his throwing motion and footwork mechanics. He's got a bit of a funky windup that I don't like and I think that sometimes leads to him sailing the ball or flat-out missing his target. Clean that up, continue to drill footwork and I think he'll take another step next year.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
BuddyRyans46
Practice Squad

I just wish we could slip Nagy some truth serum and then ask for his 100% BRUTALLY HONEST opinion of Mitch's performance this year and his how high his ceiling as an NFL QB probably is. Since it is Nagy's offense and since he knows exactly how many of those misses were squarely on Mitch (as opposed to being on a WR/TE/RB etc.), along with the REASONS for those misses, he would be the only person who could give a reliable, accurate assessment of Mitch at this point (provided he had the aforementioned truth serum in his system, since he obviously isn't going to give a brutally honest assessment of Mitch while he is still trying to coach him up).

My gut feeling is that the vast majority of those misses when guys were wide open, were on Mitch either throwing late OR just missing them with his throw, and that worries me, especially the latter. I honestly think that with Nagy's playcalling and the number of times we had guys running wide open this year, that the offense as a whole underachieved. Yes I know we ranked something like 9th in points scored, but that was with A LOT OF HELP FROM THE DEFENSE. In overall yardage this offense ranked 21st and Football Outsiders ranked our offense 20th in adjusted offensive efficiency. I know it was a new offense for everyone, but I think that it should and could have accomplished/scored a lot more this season. I really hope it makes the leap next year.
G08
Hall of Famer

The good news is that QBs can always improve their accuracy and fundamentals.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
ursamagnus
Practice Squad

Sugashane wrote:I am very happy with it.

Let's be real. He has 1 college season, one full season in a real scheme and last year's farce. Total of 1336 pass attempts in college and pros COMBINED.

To put that into perspective Watson had 1207 pass attempts in college alone and Mahomes had 1349 pass attempts in college alone. Tru started behind the ball in experience, so he will still have to take his lumps like everyone else. He did a lot of that last year.
BeattieFeathers
Practice Squad

Another Kaepernick unless the next two years show different
BR0D1E86
MVP

BeattieFeathers wrote:Another Kaepernick unless the next two years show different
Trubisky is already far more accurate than Kaepernick ever was. Kaepernick was a 58-59% completion guy. I don’t see many similarities except that both are/were mobile.
docc
Head Coach

Don't see that at all... Kapernock never developed as a passer..or into the team's system..
Mitch is a student of the game under Nagy..

Don't see the comparison..but we all see different things..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
BuddyRyans46 wrote: I would also add his tendency to simply "miss" wide open receivers in the intermediate (15-20 yards) range by throwing wide or overthrowing them. Out of all of Trubisky's struggles this year, his inability to consistently hit wide open targets on "chunk plays" bothered me the most. Left me with the impression that Trubisky and the offense left a lot of yardage and points out on the field this year.
That's my biggest issue with him and you're not wrong when you say this offense left a lot of yards and points on the field. However, it's a complex offense and what Trubisky has accomplished thus far in year 1 is nothing to scoff at.

The misses could be depth of route run by the WR/TE/RB as well, so we have to take that with a grain of salt. Regardless, I REALLY hope he focuses on his throwing motion and footwork mechanics. He's got a bit of a funky windup that I don't like and I think that sometimes leads to him sailing the ball or flat-out missing his target. Clean that up, continue to drill footwork and I think he'll take another step next year.
I think Mitch's overthrows can be easily corrected. Here's my assessment (that's worth jack shit). He gets excited or amped up before a game. His over throws are usually due to him rushing a throw, not getting his body right, and then not finishing the throw with his body. He wants to get the ball out and complete the pass, but he's not doing the tiny fundamental things to put his body in the right position to be able put the ball where it needs to go.

Additionally, I think his reads are about 1/2 second too late. He needs to let the ball go a bit earlier. So by the time he does decide to throw it the window is closing instead of opening, that contributes to his rushing the throwing motion in order to get the ball out.

ALL OF THIS, will be corrected with more time in the Nagy system, and as the game slows down for him, in this offense.
BuddyRyans46
Practice Squad

Not saying Mitch reminds me of Kaepernick, BUT regarding the point about Mitch's higher completion %....which is obviously is most impressive individual stat....let's not forget or pretend like that high comp % is not due in large part to Nagy's scheme this year. It seemed to me that Mitch had a hell of a lot of shovel passes, dump-off passes, short check-downs and other really short completions, all of which greatly inflated his comp. %, which is obviously a relative stat.

In other words, Mitch's completion % would have been a hell of a lot more impressive if more of those pass attempts and completions had been 15-20+ yards downfield.
BuddyRyans46
Practice Squad

Additionally, I think his reads are about 1/2 second too late. He needs to let the ball go a bit earlier. So by the time he does decide to throw it the window is closing instead of opening, that contributes to his rushing the throwing motion in order to get the ball out.

^^you beat me to it. I was just about to type this before I read it in your post. I think the issue is primarily are still late and that by the time he spots the wide open receiver 15 yards down field, he realizes "oh ****, I gotta get this ball out NOW while he is still open!!!" and that is what forces him to just fling it out asap without thinking about his mechanics.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Going back and watching a lot of Mitch's overthrows, or misses. He tends to step wide left with his front foot, his shoulders fly open, and he either sails the ball high, or it goes left of the target. It's interesting. During the Tampa game, he had a small stride forward and only slightly left, and he was on target all day, except for the balls that he sailed, in which case the former happened, and his left foot swung way out and his shoulders opened. Same thing in the Rams game.

His accuracy problems aren't an ability issue, but rather a basic mechanics adjustment.
BR0D1E86
MVP

BuddyRyans46 wrote:Not saying Mitch reminds me of Kaepernick, BUT regarding the point about Mitch's higher completion %....which is obviously is most impressive individual stat....let's not forget or pretend like that high comp % is not due in large part to Nagy's scheme this year. It seemed to me that Mitch had a hell of a lot of shovel passes, dump-off passes, short check-downs and other really short completions, all of which greatly inflated his comp. %, which is obviously a relative stat.

In other words, Mitch's completion % would have been a hell of a lot more impressive if more of those pass attempts and completions had been 15-20+ yards downfield.
Trubisky had one of the highest rates of downfield passes in the league this year. It went down a bit after the shoulder injury, but don’t buy into the fabrication that all he’s throwing out there is screen passes.