Eddie Goldman Most Underrated Bear

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

Eddie Goldman has taken over as Bears most underrated player
by Lorin Cox

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/ ... ic-fangio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It took far too long for Akiem Hicks to get the recognition he deserved.

The defensive end performed a high level from the moment he came to Chicago, but it took until this year to finally earn respect around the NFL.

With his upcoming trip to the Pro Bowl, Hicks is no longer the Bears' most underrated player, but his teammate right next to him on the defensive line is deserving of the title.

Eddie Goldman is having the best season of his young career with performances that should establish him as one of the league's best nose tackles.

General manager Ryan Pace agreed with that assessment of Goldman before the season even started, rewarding him with a four-year, $42 million contract extension with $25 million guaranteed.

His new contract makes him the fifth highest-paid nose tackle in the NFL behind the likes of Marcell Dareus, Ndamukong Suh and Linval Joseph, and Goldman has played as well as any of them this season.

His production doesn't always show up on the stat sheet, but the dirty work he does on the interior is critical to the success Hicks and the rest of the Bears' defense has had this season.

Goldman is most often asked to occupy blocks and take on double teams so his teammates can be free to make the play on the ball-carrier, and his contributions don't go unnoticed by the rest of the front seven.

"He’s a staple in this defense," linebacker Danny Trevathan told NBC Sports Chicago. "A lot of people don’t see it, but I see it."

And when he does shed blocks and make a big tackle in the backfield, it's easy to see.

Chicago Bears nose tackle Eddie Goldman (GIF via NFL Game Pass)

He made more of these types of plays this season than ever before. According to Pro Football Focus, Goldman set career-highs with 27 "stops" and 28 total pressures, with three sacks and 25 quarterback hurries.

He's never going to be a premier pass rusher from the nose tackle position, but he made his presence felt for opposing quarterbacks throughout the season.

He brought down Jared Goff in the endzone for a huge safety against the Los Angeles Rams, and he made Minnesota Vikings right guard Tom Compton look silly in Week 17 to sack Kirk Cousins.

Chicago Bears nose tackle Eddie Goldman sacks Kirk Cousins (GIF via NFL Game Pass)

It'll be even harder for Goldman to receive his due credit than it was for Hicks, who could rely on his flashy pass-rushing to earn attention.

The important thing for the nose tackle is his contract reflects his ability to perform, and he should be plenty satisfied to keep flying under the radar and doing the dirty work in Vic Fangio's defense.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Goldman was one of those picks that at the time I wanted a lot of other players/positions, but he has turned out to be an excellent choice.
Bearfacts
MVP

A couple of weeks ago I posted on how Goldman simply dominated against Green Bay.

Today we take a look at two more examples against a run and a pass of just how quick Goldman is for a 320lb NT.

In GIF #1 he uses swim move to completely elude the LG who ends up flat on his face and penetrates to take the ball carrier down at the LOS.

In GIF#2 Goldman makes a pre-snap adjustment to go head on with the LG makes a quick feint toward the A gap and then simply beats him around his left side to sack Cousins for his 3rd sack of the year.

Pace made a very wise move by locking Goldman up through 2022. He's a beast in the middle of that DL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'd be proud to wear a #91 jersey.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote:I'd be proud to wear a #91 jersey.
Darn right. Love me some John Thierry.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

This is what happens when Leonard Floyd starts to play well. I'm in no way taking anything away from Goldman. But now offenses have to account for Mack, Hicks, and a healthy Leonard Floyd. They can't double team everybody, and Goldman is making the most of his one-on-one match-ups. He absolutely blew bast the Vikings C. It was beautiful.
Bearfacts
MVP

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:Goldman was one of those picks that at the time I wanted a lot of other players/positions, but he has turned out to be an excellent choice.
As I recall many favored Danny Shelton for our 1st pick while I did not. Goldman initially showed up a bit heavy @ 336lb and lacked stamina but once he cut back to 320lbs he's been a key run stopper for us all game long.

IMHO Shelton has been decent but has never lived up to his draft status whereas Goldman who somehow slipped into round two due to concerns about his ability to rush has been the far more valuable player overall and also a force as a pass rusher with 11.5 career sacks and 18 QB hits. Not bad for a NT.
Bearfacts
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:I'd be proud to wear a #91 jersey.
Darn right. Love me some John Thierry.

:rofl: Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.