A good read on Nagy's venture into the NFL

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

it is a long article but worth following the link to read the whole thing

From selling homes to the NFL: How an 'angel' helped Matt Nagy
LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- As he strolled into the tiny, dimly lit, all-brick restaurant 10 years ago, Matt Nagy had one goal: to put football in his past. But little did he know his three-hour dinner meeting would circuitously lead to the exact opposite. And the stranger he was about to meet he would one day refer to as his "angel." And it would all happen against the longest of odds.

"That word ‘angel’ is more than a little humbling," says Larry Wisdom, the man at the other end of the table that night in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. "It’s embarrassing. I had no intention of hiring him. Ten percent chance? Maybe? And that’s being generous. There’s no rewriting history here."

Instead, there is the unlikely tale of a man who was unemployed, out of football and desperately seeking a job in new home sales becoming the driving force behind the resurrection of one of the NFL’s most storied franchises. In two seasons with the Chicago Bears, former coach Marc Trestman won 13 games. In three years John Fox won 14 games. Matt Nagy has won 12 games and an NFC North championship in his first year. And the season isn’t over.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I love Nagy's story. Guy is the embodiment of hard work and a good attitude.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I've been holding back a little from going full on homer. But I can't shake this feeling that we hired a legend at HC. He's young and new, but it feels like we're watching the beginning of something truly wonderful. I felt it when they announced his hiring and after his first press conference. But the years of getting kicked in the nuts has me a little gun shy. I'm holding off until after the Super Bowl to get my NAGY 4 LYFE back mural tattoo.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:I've been holding back a little from going full on homer. But I can't shake this feeling that we hired a legend at HC. He's young and new, but it feels like we're watching the beginning of something truly wonderful. I felt it when they announced his hiring and after his first press conference. But the years of getting kicked in the nuts has me a little gun shy. I'm holding off until after the Super Bowl to get my NAGY 4 LYFE back mural tattoo.

and given the history of the team, with a HC list that rivals the starting QB list for base level incompetence, I can fully understand

during Jauron's magical mystical 13-3 season, we witnessed some game changing (and game winning) plays that defied logic and normal processing ... during Lovie's reign leading to a Super Bowl appearance we witnessed a top end defense trying to pull an underachieving, and sometimes downright incompetent, offense to a title and almost did it ... and while these guys won, there was never a complete feeling that the team had its shit together ... we enjoyed both rides, but were left short of achieving the ultimate goal

but there is something different with Nagy

yeah, I bitch about his play calling being too cute at times, but even that is a minor issue when focusing on the bigger winning picture

I entered the season with hopeful optimism that has changed to full on roaring appreciation ... and the one thing I can point to as a calming constant is Nagy's consistent competence ... the feeling that somewhere on that play sheet or swirling in his head is something that can be successful and fun ... that he will never face a situation where is is simply lost and unable to provide the required leadership

yeah, it is only 1 season, but I'm willing to be all in with Mr. Nagy ... but more important than any fan's support is the fact the team is all in with him, and it shows
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have been watching his little segment "Coffee with the Coack" and the Bears Desksite on Roku. He is a regular dude for the most part. The name of his dog, Tuddy.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

It's a strange feeling to watch the Bears and not be terrified that they'll collapse at some point. I'm actually confident when they line up on third down. It's weird.
G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:It's a strange feeling to watch the Bears and not be terrified that they'll collapse at some point. I'm actually confident when they line up on third down. It's weird.
I still have that tiny bit of fear but Whiskey has been saying it forever, this feels like the 2015 Cubs. I still have my scars from 25 years of being a Bears fan (much like being a Cubs fan) but they will subside. Oh yes... they will subside.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Richie
MVP

G08 wrote:
AZ_Bearfan wrote:It's a strange feeling to watch the Bears and not be terrified that they'll collapse at some point. I'm actually confident when they line up on third down. It's weird.
I still have that tiny bit of fear but Whiskey has been saying it forever, this feels like the 2015 Cubs. I still have my scars from 25 years of being a Bears fan (much like being a Cubs fan) but they will subside. Oh yes... they will subside.
The scars are necessary to fully appreciate the good times. How can you truly embrace how fun it is to win, if you've never experienced how difficult it can be to achieve a division title or post-season berth? It's like the old cliché of the kid who grew up poor appreciating every dollar he has when he earns some success. Versus the trust fund kid getting hooked on drugs and blowing every penny. Imagine being a 20-something year old New England fan who was born in the late 80's or early 90's? Eww...

I feel bad for my friends who quit on the Bears during some of their darker periods. There's no way that they're enjoying it right now like I am. I had one friend in particular during the Fox era, if any type of an ongoing discussion of the Bears got underway - he'd interrupt it and go "Why the fuck are you talking about the Bears? Stop. They're a joke." That really pissed me off. Especially since this dude was a die hard Cubs fan, who did the same shit when they had just begun their rebuild under Theo. They were a dumpster fire, but that didn't stop this asshole from non-stop discussing how they could put a future together.

The dark days of the 90's, the 01 playoff loss to Philly, the ensuing disappointment under Jauron, the 05 Steve Smith game, the 06 SB loss, the disappointment in the following three seasons, the NFCCG vs GB (a scar that runs right down the middle of my face), the collapses in 11 and 12, the Week 17 GB loss in 2013, 2014's disaster season and the following three more years of last place finishes.

It all hurt like hell, but now I look at those scars more as a reminder of how we got here. There's no longer a violin playing a depressing tune behind those memories. I can live in the present now and appreciate the humility that those moments taught me as a fan. I fully enjoy and appreciate every win.
Last edited by Richie on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
G08 wrote:
The scars are necessary to fully appreciate the good times. How can you truly embrace how fun it is to win, if you never experienced how difficult it can be to achieve? It's like the old cliché of the kid who grew up poor appreciating every dollar he has when he earns some success. Versus the trust fund kid getting hooked on drugs and blowing every penny.

I feel bad for my friends who quit on the Bears during some of their darker periods. There's no way that they're enjoying it right now like I am. I had one friend in particular during the Fox era, if any type of an ongoing discussion of the Bears got underway - he'd interrupt it and go "Why the fuck are you talking about the Bears? Stop. They're a joke." That really pissed me off. Especially since this dude was a die hard Cubs fan, who did the same shit when they had just begun their rebuild under Theo. They were a dumpster fire, but that didn't stop this asshole from non-stop discussing how they could put a future together.

The dark days of the 90's, the 01 playoff loss to Philly, the ensuing disappointment under Jauron, the 05 Steve Smith game, the 06 SB loss, the disappointment in the following three seasons, the NFCCG vs GB (a scar that runs right down the middle of my face), the collapses in 11 and 12, the Week 17 GB loss in 2013, 2014's disaster season and the following three more years of last place finishes.

It all hurt like hell, but now I look at those scars more as a reminder of how we got here. There's no longer a violin playing a depressing tune behind those memories. I can live in the present now and appreciate the humility that those moments taught me as a fan. I fully enjoy and appreciate every win.
Very well said.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Well part of it is because this year we've constantly been in 3rd & 2, 3rd & 1. I think 3rd & 12 was Fox's general modus operandi.
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
G08 wrote:
The scars are necessary to fully appreciate the good times. How can you truly embrace how fun it is to win, if you've never experienced how difficult it can be to achieve a division title or post-season berth? It's like the old cliché of the kid who grew up poor appreciating every dollar he has when he earns some success. Versus the trust fund kid getting hooked on drugs and blowing every penny. Imagine being a 20-something year old New England fan who was born in the late 80's or early 90's? Eww...

Excellent post. The cynic in me still looks at all those scars and wonders "what makes this different?" Well, a lot. To me, we finally have a young, innovative, charismatic and genuine leader of men paired with a young QB who takes his profession very seriously AND has the love and respect of his teammates. We have a GM that knows how to draft well and is aggressive when he feels conviction on a player (Floyd, Trubisky, Mack all involved trading draft picks). And oh yeah, in one season we won 5 out of 6 division games AND managed to kill the playoff hopes of the Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings.

This is a different team and this is the start of a new era (again, God-willing we stay healthy).
IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote: ... Whiskey has been saying it forever, this feels like the 2015 Cubs ...
For me, it’s like the 1984 Bears. They won the WC game and lost the divisional game but they went into the ‘85 season with a sense of determination and expectation of greatness.

No matter what happens in the next month, next season is going to be amazing.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
G08 wrote: ... Whiskey has been saying it forever, this feels like the 2015 Cubs ...
For me, it’s like the 1984 Bears. They won the WC game and lost the divisional game but they went into the ‘85 season with a sense of determination and expectation of greatness.

I feel ya buddy but I want it fucking now :evilgrin:
Richie
MVP

IotaNet wrote:

They lost in the NFC Title Game at San Fran after winning at Washington in the Divisional Round. Sorry, I'm the asshole that sometimes feel the need to correct these things when it's totally unnecessary. lol

However, no doubt... this feels like our set-up year. I've maintained that the whole time. However, the way we dominated in Minnesota. On the road in that atmosphere, against a team with those kind of implications versus us having zero? I'm starting to believe this MIGHT... MIGHT just be a dominant football team that could do it right now. If only we pulled out a couple of those close losses and gave ourselves home-field. I'd be hollering "Super Bowl".

Regardless, this all feels different. Everything about this team screams "special" and "unique". It feels like we are just at the beginning of all this. Where as before? There was always a feeling inside of me that we had to win immediately. In whatever season it was. 05, 06, 10, 11... Things just always felt fragile. I never totally trusted Angelo, I liked Lovie... but we all realize he was imperfect. There was never stability with the offensive design/play calling. We somehow functioned, despite of dysfunction.

With this team - everything just clicks. Everyone is on the same page and buys in like I've never seen.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Turn the frown upside down because Swag Time Sunday is only a couple days away. Bear Down.

We're gonna beat the Eagles and we're gonna go into LA and beat them too.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

They lost in the NFC Title Game at San Fran after winning at Washington in the Divisional Round. Sorry, I'm the asshole that sometimes feel the need to correct these things when it's totally unnecessary. lol

However, no doubt... this feels like our set-up year. I've maintained that the whole time. However, the way we dominated in Minnesota. On the road in that atmosphere, against a team with those kind of implications versus us having zero? I'm starting to believe this MIGHT... MIGHT just be a dominant football team that could do it right now. If only we pulled out a couple of those close losses and gave ourselves home-field. I'd be hollering "Super Bowl".

Regardless, this all feels different. Everything about this team screams "special" and "unique". It feels like we are just at the beginning of all this. Where as before? There was always a feeling inside of me that we had to win immediately. In whatever season it was. 05, 06, 10, 11... Things just always felt fragile. I never totally trusted Angelo, I liked Lovie... but we all realize he was imperfect. There was never stability with the offensive design/play calling. We somehow functioned, despite of dysfunction.

With this team - everything just clicks. Everyone is on the same page and buys in like I've never seen.
Fragile is a great way of putting it. That's exactly what our success was in prior seasons. Lovie's teams beat shitty opponents and lost to good ones - pretty darn consistently. I was one who wanted him gone because I didn't think we'd ever have a chance to be elite with his middling approach. I admit I regretted it when Trestman/Fox came in, but I didn't forget that bland Lovie style that could eek you in to the playoffs with no actual chance of sustained elite winning aka New England/Pittsburgh. So Trestman/Fox were just anal warts that ultimately made us stronger. Nagy is the man, Pace is the man, and we have our time to shine right in front of us. All of us Bears fans who stuck with this franchise deserves this success.