Bears as SB favorites? Anybody buying that?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

I just viewed a playoff preview vid where Teddy Bruschi referred to the Bears as a team that “many think are the Super Bowl favorite.”

I saw another story on SI (or ESPN - can’t remember) where a couple of writers picked the Bears to win it all. Is anybody here buying that or is it merely hot-take/clickbait?

Link: http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_ ... yoff-games" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

Louis Riddick has been saying it for a little while now, he's the only genuine one in my book who has said such a thing.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I don't know if I can go that far yet. I think they have a chance, but favorite, not buying it today.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

One thing that has proven out over the last several years. A good defense can win a championship. The Bears have a generational level defense. If Trubisky can take care of the ball, Howard can run for 100+ a game, and our defense plays the way they have been. I would certainly consider it feasible that we would be a favorite.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Realistic contender? Hell yes.

Favorite? I’d have to say no.
wab
Mod

Favorites? Hmmm. I don't know about that, but I believe they have as good a shot as any NFC team.

The Rams have some chinks in the armor
The Cowboys have issues all over
The Eagles barely made it and needed the Bears help to do so
The Seahawks have issues on defense, but that running game is no joke

To me, the Saints are still the favorites, but I think the Bears can play with any team that made it to the postseason.

Although I have to admit, a Chiefs/Bears SB would be fun.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

don't know about favorite or not, but I firmly believe the Bears are the only defense in the NFC that would be able to go into New Orleans and take care of business ... and if they do that, it means Mitch and the offense won't have to match up with Brees and pals in a shootout ... the offense would simply need to execute proficiently when they have their opportunities

and since I am an old fart, I prize defense over offense

and this Bears defense gives the Bears a better than average chance to be in SB 53

wab wrote:Although I have to admit, a Chiefs/Bears SB would be fun.

that would be an ideal matchup -

* teacher (Reid) vs student (Nagy)
* Mahomes and a high flying Chiefs offense vs a Bears defense that is a nightmare for opponents

I'm sure we would see some interesting plays from both sides
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Favorites? Hmmm. I don't know about that, but I believe they have as good a shot as any NFC team.

The Rams have some chinks in the armor
The Cowboys have issues all over
The Eagles barely made it and needed the Bears help to do so
The Seahawks have issues on defense, but that running game is no joke

To me, the Saints are still the favorites, but I think the Bears can play with any team that made it to the postseason.

Although I have to admit, a Chiefs/Bears SB would be fun.
Holy crap. The story lines that would come out of that SB. Man oh man. The national media would wet themselves over all of the articles they could write.
Z Bear
MVP

If the Bears make it to the Super Bowl I am going. Was going to pay off my car, but would rather blow the money on a Super Bowl trip.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Favorite? Absolutley not.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Like many here, I don't see us as favorites. But I think we can play with anyone. Having the best defense in the tournament is huge.

I agree that Bears-Chiefs would be an uber-compelling matchup.

But I really want Bears-Patriots. I work with this 40-ish gal who is in an office about 30' from me and a huge Pats fan. She actually outranks me at my company. She is like 5'1" maybe 115#, is really smart, thoughtful and under control. But over the years, we have talked a good bit of football and she revealed that she gets rather... let's say... bombastic during Pats games. She tells me that she can't sit down during games. And she has pillows handy if she needs to throw things. And often does, so she says. Her husband and daughter have to go away because she yells. A lot.

Mrs. Five OK'd a plan for her to come over to our place so we could watch the earlier Bears-Pats game. She did say that "this may forever change your perception of me." LOL But that didn't work out because at the last minute, her husband wanted her to help him paint their living room that day. *sigh* (C'mon man! Priorities!)

So anyways, I'm now talking to her about getting together with us if we make it to the big dance. I'm dying to see this woman going nuts over a football game, when she's so cool and collected at work. I'm amused just by the thought of that. :clap:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Richie
MVP

IotaNet wrote:I just viewed a playoff preview vid where Teddy Bruschi referred to the Bears as a team that “many think are the Super Bowl favorite.”

I saw another story on SI (or ESPN - can’t remember) where a couple of writers picked the Bears to win it all. Is anybody here buying that or is it merely hot-take/clickbait?

Link: http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_ ... yoff-games" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Bears are the "sexy" Super Bowl pick. That's all.

Feels weird to even write that...
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I can see it.

Elite defense.
Above average offense that is capable of lighting it up.
Running game emerging.
The weakness is the kicking game.

We have what it takes to win it all.
BearsGuy
Rookie

Boris13c wrote:don't know about favorite or not, but I firmly believe the Bears are the only defense in the NFC that would be able to go into New Orleans and take care of business ... and if they do that, it means Mitch and the offense won't have to match up with Brees and pals in a shootout ... the offense would simply need to execute proficiently when they have their opportunities

and since I am an old fart, I prize defense over offense

and this Bears defense gives the Bears a better than average chance to be in SB 53

wab wrote:Although I have to admit, a Chiefs/Bears SB would be fun.

that would be an ideal matchup -

* teacher (Reid) vs student (Nagy)
* Mahomes and a high flying Chiefs offense vs a Bears defense that is a nightmare for opponents

I'm sure we would see some interesting plays from both sides
No question that the Bears are the only defense that has a chance to go into NO and hold the Saints in check. I don't know that CHI can be the favorite for the Super Bowl, but they have a chance. A better one than DAL or PHI has IMO. Maybe better than LAR.
Umbali
MVP

Z Bear wrote:If the Bears make it to the Super Bowl I am going. Was going to pay off my car, but would rather blow the money on a Super Bowl trip.
I live in Atlanta, if Bears go to SB we can tailgate. I would tailgate at Bears superbowl even with no tickets!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bearfacts
MVP

Favorites? No.....possible contenders yeah.
docc
Head Coach

I do not do predictions..nor could I know how to..
But Vegas Does ..!
Ahead of the game, Vegas odds aggregate OddsShark revealed the predicted score for the Bears-Eagles game.
OddsShark has the Bears winning the game by a score of approximately 26.1-15.2.

The prediction is understandable given the level of dominance the Bears showed defensively en route to a 12-4 record, their best since 2006.

The Bears finished the 2018 season with the No. 1 scoring defense, allowing only 283 points all year (less than 18 points per game). The offense was equally impressive, as second-year quarterback Mitch Trubisky led the team to 421 points, which was the No. 9 scoring offense.

Philadelphia, on the other hand, will be without starting quarterback Carson Wentz and will instead deploy reigning Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles.