View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Search for:
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:00 am 
Offline
MVP
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:15 pm
Posts: 1926
wab wrote:
Rumors abound that he has an anxiety disorder and that was what was affecting him. Sounds like horseshit internet talk but whatever. It’s out there.


I'm not saying I believe it, but its not impossible. The "Philly special" play we ran vs the Giants was going to feature him, but it actually gave him so much anxiety during the week that they changed it to Cohen throwing the ball. If one play reminding him of his last season freaked him out that much, I could see it being slightly possible that going against his old team in the playoffs would get to him that much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 am 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm
Posts: 2978
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
KOP_Snake wrote:
wab wrote:
Rumors abound that he has an anxiety disorder and that was what was affecting him. Sounds like horseshit internet talk but whatever. It’s out there.


I'm not saying I believe it, but its not impossible. The "Philly special" play we ran vs the Giants was going to feature him, but it actually gave him so much anxiety during the week that they changed it to Cohen throwing the ball. If one play reminding him of his last season freaked him out that much, I could see it being slightly possible that going against his old team in the playoffs would get to him that much.
I heard the same. Anything's possible, I guess.

It really hurt us not to have him. By them taking Cohen and the short stuff away, he would've really helped.

_________________
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:49 pm 
Offline
MVP
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:15 pm
Posts: 1926
"My history of my body, that's what it does. It locks up when it feels any threat. That's kind of what happened to me."

-Trey Burton

I don't know what gave his body so much courage last year over this year in the playoffs? Maybe because he was like the 3rd tight end on the Eagles?


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:55 pm 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm
Posts: 2036
Location: South Dakota
KOP_Snake wrote:
"My history of my body, that's what it does. It locks up when it feels any threat. That's kind of what happened to me."

-Trey Burton

I don't know what gave his body so much courage last year over this year in the playoffs? Maybe because he was like the 3rd tight end on the Eagles?


That's not all the quotes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/trey-burton-explains-injury-happened-194006701.html

He says it wasn't anything mental, and he has been very open on those issues.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:12 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am
Posts: 14454
Location: The Bear Nebula
whatever the reason he was out, I think Burton not being on the field weakened the offense considerably

_________________
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:26 am 
Offline
Mod
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm
Posts: 19443
Boris13c wrote:
whatever the reason he was out, I think Burton not being on the field weakened the offense considerably

Collinsworth mentioned in passing that it really threw Nagy's gameplan off. I was hoping they'd expand on it, but it never came back up.

I think Burton being out was a reason the first half seemed so weird. Nagy really relies on 15-20 scripted plays and then adjusts based on how the opposing defense reacts to those plays. If Burton was a big part of the script, then it would explain why the flow seemed off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:46 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 7453
Location: Berwyn, IL
I just don't get it. He's getting paid millions of dollars a year. I understand the mental stress and anxiety that probably goes along with being a professional football player. But manage that shit however you have to. Drugs, yoga, huge bag of weed. Whatever it takes. FFS. His team needed him, and he wasn't there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:00 pm 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:36 pm
Posts: 3278
Location: New Orleans LA
I took the quote to mean that he had a minor groin injury on Friday, and his body "locked up" to protect the muscle from tearing. If we didn't have all this weird conversation around it, I think it's just a bad luck soft tissue injury that occurred during walkthroughs. It's certainly on him for not getting it treated right away but I don't think this should become another Jay Cutler Is Soft conversation that bleeds into next season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:13 pm 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm
Posts: 4983
Location: Armpit of IL.
Think about it. Gameplan in, complete by Friday afternoon. Nagy informed Saturday morning that there is a groin situation with Burton, may not be able to go. He has to attempt to change up his gameplan with one day to spare. That had to fuck things up pretty royally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:36 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am
Posts: 14454
Location: The Bear Nebula
Otis Day wrote:
Think about it. Gameplan in, complete by Friday afternoon. Nagy informed Saturday morning that there is a groin situation with Burton, may not be able to go. He has to attempt to change up his gameplan with one day to spare. That had to fuck things up pretty royally.



yep

and regardless of what you may think of Burton, none of the other TE's on the roster can capably fill his role for anything other than a down or 2 to give him a breather

_________________
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula


Top
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group