View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Search for:

At what price, do you trade Jordan Howard?
I wouldn't trade him 24%  24%  [ 9 ]
2nd round pick 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
3rd round pick 37%  37%  [ 14 ]
3rd round comp pick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4th round pick 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
4th round comp pick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5th rounder 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5th round comp pick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6th rounder 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
7th rounder 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 38
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:19 am 
MVP

Howard's performance improved when we switched to a zone blocking scheme later in the season. He only got 10 carries in the one playoff game we had so its hard to evaluate that.

That being said, we need to keep that defense together as long as possible. Nagy's offense is also one where we don't need an $8 million RB. We do need more of a dual threat and we can get that through the draft.

If Howard gets dealt it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's successful at the new team.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:37 am 
Pro Bowler

I’d take a high 3rd rd pick for him. If someone offers a 2, done.

I love Howard, but he’s just not elite. His numbers are going to get him more money then I feel he’s worth...Because of that, if we can move him, do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:18 am 
Assistant Coach

Umbali wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
I love me some Howard. If Nagy goes more to the blocking schemes of the last 1/4 of the season over the first 3/4 he can do better. But, don't flame me for this, if Kareem Hunt can be cleared to join a team again I'd take him over Howard with no second thoughts. He would literally be the perfect back for this offense. Can you imagine him and Cohen together?

Hunt can be our kicker too! No more Parkey! 2 birds one stone!

Oohhh. Damn that was a bad/good one. I don't know if I should laugh or facepalm. :rofl: :-o

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:43 am 
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't trade him, and here's why. The chances of going out and drafting a RB, with Howard's vision and zone running ability, somewhere in the 5th round again are about slim and none. The best teams in the league are well balanced and keep the defense on their toes. I love Cohen, but he is a gadget. He is best utilized out of the backfield on wheel routes and screens. He can run, but not in order to soften up a defensive line. Howard is a zone running back, that runs downhill, and over defenders. In the right scheme, he eats up 4-7 yards a play without breaking a sweat. He may not be able to take one to the house, but let me ask you this;

If he breaks off a 25 yard run, and gets caught. How is that any different than Robinson catching a 25 yard pass and getting run out of bounds or tackled? Both are big chunk plays, that make the defense have to account for someone.

I don't care that when he breaks free and gets into the open field that he can't take it to the house. I care that he CAN break free, and balances out the offense. Much more so than Cohen ever could. I also believe that Nagy can rework the offense to make zone blocking the primary running scheme. Additionally he is still on his rookie deal next year, and we need the cap space.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:48 am 
Mod

Even if the Bears do keep him for one more season, I just don't see any way the extend him. So if someone come calling with a 2nd round pick in a draft where the Bears don't pick until the low 80's...why shouldn't they take it? Especially if he's just going to walk later.

It's not a great FA class...but there are guys out there that fit this offense. Mike Davis, Tevin Coleman, Corey Grant. It's clear this offense is going to feature Cohen.

I guess I just really like Howard and feel he deserves to be on a team that won't waste him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:37 am 
Head Coach

I really agree with this...
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
... The best teams in the league are well balanced and keep the defense on their toes. I love Cohen, but he is a gadget. He is best utilized out of the backfield on wheel routes and screens. He can run, but not in order to soften up a defensive line. Howard is a zone running back, that runs downhill, and over defenders. In the right scheme, he eats up 4-7 yards a play without breaking a sweat. He may not be able to take one to the house, but let me ask you this;

If he breaks off a 25 yard run, and gets caught. How is that any different than Robinson catching a 25 yard pass and getting run out of bounds or tackled? Both are big chunk plays, that make the defense have to account for someone.

I don't care that when he breaks free and gets into the open field that he can't take it to the house. I care that he CAN break free, and balances out the offense. Much more so than Cohen ever could. I also believe that Nagy can rework the offense to make zone blocking the primary running scheme. Additionally he is still on his rookie deal next year, and we need the cap space.

But I'm also on board here...
wab wrote:
Even if the Bears do keep him for one more season, I just don't see any way the extend him. So if someone come calling with a 2nd round pick in a draft where the Bears don't pick until the low 80's...why shouldn't they take it? Especially if he's just going to walk later......

I guess I just really like Howard and feel he deserves to be on a team that won't waste him.

But I think the Bears would be more OK with drafting his replacement in 2020 when they have more draft capital.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 pm 
MVP

I don’t know the Comp pick rules, but aren’t we probably going to get one when he leaves anyway? If so it lessens the reasoning to trade him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:01 pm 
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote:
I don’t know the Comp pick rules, but aren’t we probably going to get one when he leaves anyway? If so it lessens the reasoning to trade him.

Yes, the bears would likely get one. But it depends on a variety of factors. Essentially if the players you lose play more snaps than the players you gain, the higher your compensatory picks become. The highest pick you can gain in the system is a third-rounder, and it comes at the end of the round (after the 96th pick).

So for reference, the highest comp pick last year was the 97th overall pick that the Cardinals got for losing Calais Cambell, D.J. Swearinger and Tony Jefferson.

I'd rather not leave it up to that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:30 pm 
MVP

wab wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

Yes, the bears would likely get one. But it depends on a variety of factors. Essentially if the players you lose play more snaps than the players you gain, the higher your compensatory picks become. The highest pick you can gain in the system is a third-rounder, and it comes at the end of the round (after the 96th pick).

So for reference, the highest comp pick last year was the 97th overall pick that the Cardinals got for losing Calais Cambell, D.J. Swearinger and Tony Jefferson.

So I guess with that my bargain basement price would be a third. But even then, it depends on what Nagy is going to do. If he’s going to run zone blocking, I’m keeping Howard and letting him run for 1000 yards, then waiting on the comp pick.

If that was a flash in the pan and he’s not going to do it consistently, go ahead and trade him if there’s at least a third out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:25 pm 
Journeyman

wab wrote:

The new average per year of the contract is the main determining factor in comp picks. Then you apply a factor to the money based off playing time, and then another factor for post season awards. Once you get an adjusted number per year for all free agents, they are ranked into tiers (3rd round, 4th round, etc.) If the Bears lose a 3rd round tier player to another team and we do not sign a 3rd round tier player we would get a 3rd round comp. We will not sign any tier 3 players this offseason and could possible lose Massie, Amos, Lynch, or Callahan to someone else. Any of those 4 would probably get us a 3rd rounder (was about $5M per year last year before the factors were applied). Below is a good explanation of it.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next