View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Search for:

At what price, do you trade Jordan Howard?
I wouldn't trade him 24%  24%  [ 9 ]
2nd round pick 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
3rd round pick 37%  37%  [ 14 ]
3rd round comp pick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4th round pick 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
4th round comp pick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5th rounder 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5th round comp pick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6th rounder 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
7th rounder 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 38
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:19 am 
Offline
MVP
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am
Posts: 1208
Howard's performance improved when we switched to a zone blocking scheme later in the season. He only got 10 carries in the one playoff game we had so its hard to evaluate that.

That being said, we need to keep that defense together as long as possible. Nagy's offense is also one where we don't need an $8 million RB. We do need more of a dual threat and we can get that through the draft.

If Howard gets dealt it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's successful at the new team.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:37 am 
Offline
Pro Bowler

Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:02 pm
Posts: 453
I’d take a high 3rd rd pick for him. If someone offers a 2, done.

I love Howard, but he’s just not elite. His numbers are going to get him more money then I feel he’s worth...Because of that, if we can move him, do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:18 am 
Offline
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 am
Posts: 505
Umbali wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
I love me some Howard. If Nagy goes more to the blocking schemes of the last 1/4 of the season over the first 3/4 he can do better. But, don't flame me for this, if Kareem Hunt can be cleared to join a team again I'd take him over Howard with no second thoughts. He would literally be the perfect back for this offense. Can you imagine him and Cohen together?


Hunt can be our kicker too! No more Parkey! 2 birds one stone!


Oohhh. Damn that was a bad/good one. I don't know if I should laugh or facepalm. :rofl: :-o


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:43 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 7458
Location: Berwyn, IL
I wouldn't trade him, and here's why. The chances of going out and drafting a RB, with Howard's vision and zone running ability, somewhere in the 5th round again are about slim and none. The best teams in the league are well balanced and keep the defense on their toes. I love Cohen, but he is a gadget. He is best utilized out of the backfield on wheel routes and screens. He can run, but not in order to soften up a defensive line. Howard is a zone running back, that runs downhill, and over defenders. In the right scheme, he eats up 4-7 yards a play without breaking a sweat. He may not be able to take one to the house, but let me ask you this;

If he breaks off a 25 yard run, and gets caught. How is that any different than Robinson catching a 25 yard pass and getting run out of bounds or tackled? Both are big chunk plays, that make the defense have to account for someone.

I don't care that when he breaks free and gets into the open field that he can't take it to the house. I care that he CAN break free, and balances out the offense. Much more so than Cohen ever could. I also believe that Nagy can rework the offense to make zone blocking the primary running scheme. Additionally he is still on his rookie deal next year, and we need the cap space.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:48 am 
Offline
Mod
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm
Posts: 19457
Even if the Bears do keep him for one more season, I just don't see any way the extend him. So if someone come calling with a 2nd round pick in a draft where the Bears don't pick until the low 80's...why shouldn't they take it? Especially if he's just going to walk later.

It's not a great FA class...but there are guys out there that fit this offense. Mike Davis, Tevin Coleman, Corey Grant. It's clear this offense is going to feature Cohen.

I guess I just really like Howard and feel he deserves to be on a team that won't waste him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:37 am 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm
Posts: 3003
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
I really agree with this...
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
... The best teams in the league are well balanced and keep the defense on their toes. I love Cohen, but he is a gadget. He is best utilized out of the backfield on wheel routes and screens. He can run, but not in order to soften up a defensive line. Howard is a zone running back, that runs downhill, and over defenders. In the right scheme, he eats up 4-7 yards a play without breaking a sweat. He may not be able to take one to the house, but let me ask you this;

If he breaks off a 25 yard run, and gets caught. How is that any different than Robinson catching a 25 yard pass and getting run out of bounds or tackled? Both are big chunk plays, that make the defense have to account for someone.

I don't care that when he breaks free and gets into the open field that he can't take it to the house. I care that he CAN break free, and balances out the offense. Much more so than Cohen ever could. I also believe that Nagy can rework the offense to make zone blocking the primary running scheme. Additionally he is still on his rookie deal next year, and we need the cap space.


But I'm also on board here...
wab wrote:
Even if the Bears do keep him for one more season, I just don't see any way the extend him. So if someone come calling with a 2nd round pick in a draft where the Bears don't pick until the low 80's...why shouldn't they take it? Especially if he's just going to walk later......

I guess I just really like Howard and feel he deserves to be on a team that won't waste him.

But I think the Bears would be more OK with drafting his replacement in 2020 when they have more draft capital.

_________________
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 pm 
Offline
MVP

Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am
Posts: 1218
I don’t know the Comp pick rules, but aren’t we probably going to get one when he leaves anyway? If so it lessens the reasoning to trade him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:01 pm 
Offline
Mod
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm
Posts: 19457
BR0D1E86 wrote:
I don’t know the Comp pick rules, but aren’t we probably going to get one when he leaves anyway? If so it lessens the reasoning to trade him.

Yes, the bears would likely get one. But it depends on a variety of factors. Essentially if the players you lose play more snaps than the players you gain, the higher your compensatory picks become. The highest pick you can gain in the system is a third-rounder, and it comes at the end of the round (after the 96th pick).

So for reference, the highest comp pick last year was the 97th overall pick that the Cardinals got for losing Calais Cambell, D.J. Swearinger and Tony Jefferson.

I'd rather not leave it up to that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:30 pm 
Offline
MVP

Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am
Posts: 1218
wab wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:
I don’t know the Comp pick rules, but aren’t we probably going to get one when he leaves anyway? If so it lessens the reasoning to trade him.

Yes, the bears would likely get one. But it depends on a variety of factors. Essentially if the players you lose play more snaps than the players you gain, the higher your compensatory picks become. The highest pick you can gain in the system is a third-rounder, and it comes at the end of the round (after the 96th pick).

So for reference, the highest comp pick last year was the 97th overall pick that the Cardinals got for losing Calais Cambell, D.J. Swearinger and Tony Jefferson.

I'd rather not leave it up to that.

So I guess with that my bargain basement price would be a third. But even then, it depends on what Nagy is going to do. If he’s going to run zone blocking, I’m keeping Howard and letting him run for 1000 yards, then waiting on the comp pick.

If that was a flash in the pan and he’s not going to do it consistently, go ahead and trade him if there’s at least a third out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:25 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 am
Posts: 208
wab wrote:
Yes, the bears would likely get one. But it depends on a variety of factors. Essentially if the players you lose play more snaps than the players you gain, the higher your compensatory picks become. The highest pick you can gain in the system is a third-rounder, and it comes at the end of the round (after the 96th pick).

So for reference, the highest comp pick last year was the 97th overall pick that the Cardinals got for losing Calais Cambell, D.J. Swearinger and Tony Jefferson.
I'd rather not leave it up to that.


The new average per year of the contract is the main determining factor in comp picks. Then you apply a factor to the money based off playing time, and then another factor for post season awards. Once you get an adjusted number per year for all free agents, they are ranked into tiers (3rd round, 4th round, etc.) If the Bears lose a 3rd round tier player to another team and we do not sign a 3rd round tier player we would get a 3rd round comp. We will not sign any tier 3 players this offseason and could possible lose Massie, Amos, Lynch, or Callahan to someone else. Any of those 4 would probably get us a 3rd rounder (was about $5M per year last year before the factors were applied). Below is a good explanation of it.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/


Top
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group