Which Bear?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

So I saw this on multiple web sites today, talking about which player would you like to see come out of retirement for you team?

So as a bit of a twist for the Bears, lets ask this question.

Which Bear who has retired, but who is still living ( otherwise we would have 100% Walter answers ) would you like to see join the 2019 Bears?

My first thoughts were Urlacher...then it shifted to Peanut...then Hester ( but with the rule changes to kick offs and the future rule changes that will come to punts would rule that out ).
You could go Butkus but he might get fined and penalized out of the league lmao

So I thought of Mack, Goldman, and Hicks...and I thought I would go for Dent. I would love to see him wreaking havoc and going after the QB alongside of Mack.

So I have to ask, who would you like to see that would compliment THIS years Bears team?

Of course it would have to be at their prime. I dont want an old man Dent who cant hold his pee lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Erik Kramer

It was a short prime (until the broken neck), but he put up a 94 rating in 1995.
Under today's rules, it would be non-stop

Honorable mention to:
Dan Hampton at E
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

Is this like if we got them in their prime?

Dan Hampton, easily. That guy on this defense would be amazing.
Umbali
MVP

Yeah you are right, Hampton would be a beast as well.

Never even thought about Kramer , or any other QB for that matter. Maybe Doug Flutie in this offense lol
EricTighe
MVP

Easy Decision.

Sweetness.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This is so easy, it's ridiculous. What position do we really need to fill to improve our team?

First swing... Robbie Gould. Now that would be a great answer. But kicker's aren't that important.
Second swing... Jim Covert. We want our young QB to be protected, so he can develop. Just imagine us with a generational LT? But Leno's OK and we wouldn't want to make wab sad about his new jersey.... :-P

The choice is so crazy obvious that I can't believe I haven't seen it already. Could you imagine Walter Payton in this offense??? OMG. Sure, he wasn't a speed merchant. But that guy could do EVERYTHING else. Go run a pass pattern Walter. No problem! Catch the ball, Walter. Wildly good. Run it on 3rd and 1. He could squeeze thru the gaps or jump over the pile. Burton's freaked out, so can you throw it, Walter? OMG, yes.

Game, set, match. :)

Edit... Thank you ET!
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
EricTighe
MVP

Made it easy for me. He is the reason I am a Bear fan. Greatest player the game has ever seen.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It wasn't made to be easy:
Which Bear who has retired, but who is still living
Still living dudes, come on now.

Obvious ones to pick for me are Hamp, Covert, Hilgy, Bortz, but I am going way off the charts due to the O the Bears have now - Pinky, Dennis Gentry. I think he would kick ass in this O. He is Cohen like but a little bigger and i believe a little more versatile. He as my favortie "B side " Bear.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:It wasn't made to be easy:
Indeed.

Gale Sayers is still alive, though
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Obvious ones to pick for me are Hamp, Covert, Hilgy, Bortz, but I am going way off the charts due to the O the Bears have now - Pinky, Dennis Gentry. I think he would kick ass in this O. He is Cohen like but a little bigger and i believe a little more versatile. He as my favortie "B side " Bear.
I'm caught with my pants down, for not reading far enough. :ashamed:

That we have so many good defensive front 7 players who played in a 4-3 is an interesting twist.

Hamp is a great choice as a 3-4 DE. That's for sure. Really hard to argue with that one. There's no way teams could block Hamp, Hicks and Goldman.
I've always thought Urlacher would've been a fantastic pass rusher. Could you imagine replacing LFloyd with him?
Or Mike Brown at strong next to Eddie Jackson?

How 'bout this one... Doug Buffone as a 3-4 jack ILB? I'd have him drop back into coverage for us now and be happy about it. Or Otis Wilson?

I think Jim Covert is underappreciated by Bear fans. So I'll stick with him, since he's on my original list. :)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
Indeed.

Gale Sayers is still alive, though
I considered him as Nagy would have fun with that piece. At 180# tho........

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote:Made it easy for me. He is the reason I am a Bear fan. Greatest player the game has ever seen.
That's what make is funny for me as I'm usually not on the Walter Payton bandwagons. I don't think he's even the greatest RB. (IMO, that's Jim Brown.) So I was a bit overenthusiastic about picking Walter. :-P

EricTighe
MVP

Then not a Bear at all.

How about talking Calvin Johnson out of retirement.
While we're at Joe Thomas to come back as well.
Maybe Greg Olson.

Other than that all the rest are too old to play now.

Could you imaging Urlacher and Smith playing side by side in his prime.
Umbali
MVP

I love the thought of Peanut forcing turnovers in the secondary. Julius Peppers would be fun. Urlacher and Smith would be fun as well.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:

That we have so many good defensive front 7 players who played in a 4-3 is an interesting twist.

Hamp is a great choice as a 3-4 DE. That's for sure. Really hard to argue with that one. There's no way teams could block Hamp, Hicks and Goldman.
I've always thought Urlacher would've been a fantastic pass rusher. Could you imagine replacing LFloyd with him?

How 'bout this one... Doug Buffone as a 3-4 jack ILB? I'd have him drop back into coverage for us now and be happy about it. Or Otis Wilson?

I think Jim Covert is underappreciated by Bear fans. So I'll stick with him, since he's on my original list. :)
i always kind of thought that in those rare moments urlacher blitzed he kind of sucked at it. would get caught up on blocks too easy.

i'd be tempted to say mike brown back there with eddie jackson just because i love him. i've also thought more than a few times that matt forte deserved better and would have really thrived in this offense.
EricTighe
MVP

Urlacher by design ran into lineman to free up other players. Heard Lance Briggs talking about it on the radio one day. Briggs said Urlacher would take out lead blockers and force a runner back inside to give Briggs the tackle.
Umbali
MVP

I am not sure about Urlacher as a blitzer, but I never really thought of him as a blitzer or a hard hitter. He was just every where. Which also it is odd we havent mentioned Mike Singeltary. He hit so hard and was so smart he would be where he needed to be along with everyone else. However he doesnt seem to have the speed required now? Yet back then he was always had everyone in the right spot at the right time
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:

Sorry to tell you, Uncle Fuzzy (Buffone) died about 4 yrs ago. He is one of my top 5 all time Bears. Very underrated guy.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote:So I saw this on multiple web sites today, talking about which player would you like to see come out of retirement for you team?

So as a bit of a twist for the Bears, lets ask this question.

Which Bear who has retired, but who is still living ( otherwise we would have 100% Walter answers ) would you like to see join the 2019 Bears?

My first thoughts were Urlacher...then it shifted to Peanut...then Hester ( but with the rule changes to kick offs and the future rule changes that will come to punts would rule that out ).
You could go Butkus but he might get fined and penalized out of the league lmao

So I thought of Mack, Goldman, and Hicks...and I thought I would go for Dent. I would love to see him wreaking havoc and going after the QB alongside of Mack.

So I have to ask, who would you like to see that would compliment THIS years Bears team?

Of course it would have to be at their prime. I dont want an old man Dent who cant hold his pee lol
How would Dent fit in with a 3-4? Sub packages yeah sure I see it.

To me this is easy, Samurai Mike. Pair him up with Mack, Roquan and Trevathan and you could have the best LB group in the history of the NFL. Keep Samurai and Trevathan back from the line of scrimmage, send in Mack and rotate Roquan around from blitzing and coverage and offenses wouldn't know what the fuck to do.

The sadist in me says Wilber Marshall, but nowadays wouldn't he be a 15 yard personal foul just waiting to happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po0DKZBS7DI

There's also an appeal to saying The Fridge just because Nagy would have to integrate him into the offense somehow. Him and Hicks on the d-line at the same time would be something to behold.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Gale Sayers for sure.

Imagine what he'd do in today's wide open game, he'd have his 18 inches of daylight on every play. In fact, I'd pick Sayers over Walter even if Peyton was eligible for this little hypothetical, just because of Sayers' elusiveness and speed in the open field.

Our biggest need today is a RB who can threaten the defense inside, outside, and down the field. Sayers would fit that bill and more.
wab
Mod

Sayers would have to outrun everyone, because he'd die if he got hit by a modern day safety or LB.

I like Neal Anderson in this offense a lot.
wab
Mod

Also - and I know he's not retired - but if the Bears could get Greg Olsen in his prime back for this offense, that'd be great.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

wab wrote:Sayers would have to outrun everyone, because he'd die if he got hit by a modern day safety or LB.

Sayers played at 6'0" and 200 pounds, in a day when the offensive lineman weighed in at 230. I'm sure a modern day training plan could get him up to 210 without losing his speed or elusiveness.

And even if he stayed the same, many of the RB's folks on this forum are most high on in this upcoming draft are about the same size. (Trayveon Williams, Darrell Henderson, Devin Singletary, Bryce Love)

Anderson was strong and fast, but I never thought of him as particularly elusive.

P.S. - There's a quote by Butkus where he says that Sayers' main strength was that you could never get a solid hit on him.
sturf
Journeyman

wab wrote:Sayers would have to outrun everyone, because he'd die if he got hit by a modern day safety or LB.

Anderson would be ideal. Looking at the receiving numbers he put up with the Bears has often made me wonder what he would have put in a modern offense instead of sharing carries with a FB with the Bears QB's. He was a better player than Forte in my opinion, but he's not though of that way anymore.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Is this like if we got them in their prime?

Dan Hampton, easily. That guy on this defense would be amazing.

I was initially leaning towards a prime Dick Butkus, but I can see a prime Danimal doing the trick
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

Jay Cutler

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Obviously Sweetness. But if we can't pick him...

I'll go with Payton.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

What would forte look like in this offense?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:Obviously Sweetness. But if we can't pick him...

I'll go with Payton.

???

Walter Payton is "Sweetness" ....
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Umbali
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
46Blitz wrote:Obviously Sweetness. But if we can't pick him...

I'll go with Payton.

???

Walter Payton is "Sweetness" ....
Pretty sure ( i hope ) that was sarcasm.

I am not old enough to have seen anything of Sayers other than highlights. Of course we dont have speed measurable of him like we do on players now. Also the linebackers and defensive players I am sure were not the speed then like they are now. I just dont think he is a lock.