Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Time for its own thread.

Who you got and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wab
Mod

Assuming Donatell is indeed out of the picture...

I don't want:
Rex Ryan
Gregg Williams
Dom Capers

I would be interested in, in no particular order:
Jay Rodgers
Mike Caldwell (Jets)
Mike Macdonald (Ravens)
Kris Richard (Cowboys)

Who I guess I could live with:
Mike Nolan
Chick Pagano
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Wouldn't mind Nagy talking to Dick Lebeau
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I don't want to hear any of the "the bears were in sub package 60% of the time" shit, I want a 3-4 coach. That's currently my only requirement.

Also, I don't want it to be Rex Ryan because I don't think he's a culture fit and I don't want the culture to change.
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

my dark horse is brady hoke.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Rex Ryan
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Off the radar, thinking young, Nagy's age - Chris Hewitt, secondary coach Baltimore Raven's

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/co ... ris-hewitt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I posted this on the Fangio thread and it belongs here in this separate thread.

Since it's not going to be Bowles, it makes sense to look for other Saints (Pace) or Eagles/Chiefs connections. Gregg Williams fits that mold, though the whole BountyGate thing with the Saints might be enough to quash that. He's a little overrated, in my view, but could conceivably fill the Vic Fangio role of curmudgeon who knows how to whip the D into shape.

Mike Caldwell (Todd Bowles' asst head coach/ILB coach with the Jets) is probably in limbo right now, but appears to still be under contract. He'd need permission to make a lateral move (the NFL typically considers all asst coach positions to be at the same level). Importantly, you'd be projecting — he's not been in a coordinator role before.

One guy who has both Saints and Chiefs connections? Gary Gibbs. He's older (66), but has DC experience, knows people with the Bears, and isn't currently under NFL contract (is a "defensive analyst" with Okla St).
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:I don't want to hear any of the "the bears were in sub package 60% of the time" shit, I want a 3-4 coach. That's currently my only requirement.

Also, I don't want it to be Rex Ryan because I don't think he's a culture fit and I don't want the culture to change.
This is me.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Wouldn't mind Nagy talking to Dick Lebeau
Isn't Lebeau like 106 years old?

I am going to assume at this point that Donatell is off the board, and he is going to Denver.

I like the idea of Jay Rodgers or Mike Caldwell. Mike MacDonald seems to have some good chops, and has worked with a top defense in Baltimore. Clint Hurtt would be a great choice, and a Bears coaching alum.

Left field candidates could be Jerry Gray, the DB coach for the Vikings. He's been a DC before, and has helped put together a stout defense in Minnesota.

I don't want Williams or Ryan anywhere near Halas Hall. Just no.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:I don't want to hear any of the "the bears were in sub package 60% of the time" shit, I want a 3-4 coach. That's currently my only requirement.

They did a good segment on the SCORE regarding this. WHY IN HOLY HELL would you try and change schemes away from an already proven commodity. Any candidate that says that they are going to run THEIR defense come hell or highwater should be automatically eliminated. I want a DC that is willing to be flexible with the pieces that he is given, and not try and make Leonard Floyd play DE in a 4-3 defense.
sturf
Journeyman

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:They did a good segment on the SCORE regarding this. WHY IN HOLY HELL would you try and change schemes away from an already proven commodity. Any candidate that says that they are going to run THEIR defense come hell or highwater should be automatically eliminated. I want a DC that is willing to be flexible with the pieces that he is given, and not try and make Leonard Floyd play DE in a 4-3 defense.
Going to a 4-3 defense wouldn't mean Leonard Floyd playing DE. It would mean Floyd playing SAM LB. I would agree that bringing in a Tampa-2 style 4-3 makes no sense, but any 4-3 like the Pete Carroll version that basically lines up in a 5-2 front would be fine. When playing the Rams Fangio was actually using a 4-3 at times with Floyd lined up at SAM LB outside of Mack at LDE.

That's the good news. The Bears can find the best candidate because the players are good enough to fit multiple schemes.
G08
Hall of Famer

Yeah, whoever we bring in had better stick with a 3-4 scheme, for fucks sake we were #1 in points allowed last season!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

BuddyRyans46
Practice Squad

I don't want Williams or Ryan anywhere near Halas Hall. Just no.

^^lol so many of you are so fearful of aggression, I find it amusing. If it was up to all of you, Buddy Ryan would have never been hired or retained back in the day, lol. I am sure most of you worship Ditka while ignoring the fact that Ryan was the driving force behind Chicago's only Super Bowl and the greatest team of all-time, lol. Sad, but typical.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

BuddyRyans46 wrote:I don't want Williams or Ryan anywhere near Halas Hall. Just no.

^^lol so many of you are so fearful of aggression, I find it amusing. If it was up to all of you, Buddy Ryan would have never been hired or retained back in the day, lol. I am sure most of you worship Ditka while ignoring the fact that Ryan was the driving force behind Chicago's only Super Bowl and the greatest team of all-time, lol. Sad, but typical.
I think you have this completely wrong. It's not lack of aggression we want. Aggression is fine. It's a lack of asshats who would be oil and water in our locker room culture.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Personality aside... Ryan hasn’t coached since 2016. There’s a reason for that.

Work was indeed available in 2017 and 2018.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I want a proven name.

Mike Nolan is my first choice.
If we could convince Dick Labeau somehow I'd be elated.
I would be fine with Rex Ryan.
I'm not sold on Macdonald. I respect the Ravens connection a lot and he did some good things with Buffalo, but with this talent and how close we are to going deep in the playoffs I don't want a first time DC.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

BuddyRyans46 wrote:I don't want Williams or Ryan anywhere near Halas Hall. Just no.

You’re doing a lot of laughing I see, but you provide no facts to back up your claim that we “don’t want aggression.”

BR46, you’re new here. No one is going to get into a shouting match with you, or get baited by your obvious attempt to try and start an argument, with your outlandish claims. We’ll just start ignoring you, until you eventually go away, or you decide to present a lucid argument with supporting facts.

Have a nice day.

docc
Head Coach

I heard Jack Del Rio is available..
G08
Hall of Famer

Alex Brown was just on TV and was talking about how he played for Greg Williams and likes him as our next DC. Said he's more of a 3-4 defense than a 4-3 defense, and that he would bring a level of attitude that will keep this defense rolling.

I dunno. I fucking hate this.

GSH
MVP

no one from the NFL old boys club thats floating around excites me.

can anyone who knows more about college tell me who are stand out DC's in college that run a 3-4 that you think could be good?
cblaz11
MVP

I have to say...Greg Williams kind of gets the blood flowing
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote:I have to say...Greg Williams kind of gets the blood flowing
Hilarious, I just came here to post this:

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/g ... e-19201306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a feeling he's going to be my "Josh McDaniels" knee-jerk reaction at this point. I love his aggressiveness but I do think he's bat-shit crazy. Pace spent time with him in New Orleans so he has an inside knowledge of if this dude is net positive or net negative to a franchise.

Umbali
MVP

I have no issue with Greg Williams if Pace is ok with him. I would take Atilla the Hun if it helped. Dont care about bounty gate etc...all in the past and not as isolated as they made it sound.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
wab
Mod

Gregg Williams just makes me feel icky. I was all in on Bowles when Vic left but now I’m just...meh. I guess I don’t really care. I’m just mentally preparing myself for the defense taking a step back.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

We have our man.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Gregg Williams just makes me feel icky. I was all in on Bowles when Vic left but now I’m just...meh. I guess I don’t really care. I’m just mentally preparing myself for the defense taking a step back.
I’m not a fan of Williams either. He’s smarmy.

I think Nagy gets this right, with some direction from Pace. I have faith.

Defense is not taking a step back.

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I just hope whoever it is they are more aggressive than Vic was. IDK how many times I was tired of 3rd and long and him dropping everyone back to let an underneath completion make it. I so wanted Bowles but sadly didn't happen. Now I'm not sure who steps up. Donnatel maybe?
G08
Hall of Famer

Matt Bowen

@MattBowen41
Loved playing for Gregg Williams. More than Xs/Os there...The key for the Bears, IMO, is hiring a defensive leader who allows Nagy to continue his focus on offensive game planning. And Gregg could fit that role.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Matt Bowen

@MattBowen41
Loved playing for Gregg Williams. More than Xs/Os there...The key for the Bears, IMO, is hiring a defensive leader who allows Nagy to continue his focus on offensive game planning. And Gregg could fit that role.
Does the fact that he’s a narcissistic crazy person bother anyone?