Sign Leonard Floyd to 5th year option?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Middleguard
MVP

I would like the Bears to hang on to Floyd, but if possible I'd like him to come as cheap as possible because there are a lot of D guys who need to get paid. In the past half-dozen years, how do OLB salaries correlate with sacks? If highly, then he won't get a top-10 offer in free agency because he won't be top-10 in sacks (unless Fangio picks him up). And will the new DC be able to use him as effectively as Fangio did?

I'd like to hear from some of our accountants on this matter. And what about repeating the Fuller scenario?
malk
Head Coach

Wow, mad that a 5th year option would put him as the 16th highest paid edge rusher in football! It's not as bad as the old first round contracts but it seems like something the league should address (or the players union, with a hardish cap this is just taking money away from non elite vets...).

I do like Floyd, more than his sack totals as others have pointed to. The best option is to get him signed to a long term deal though, who knows if that's doable though.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

At that money, no way in hell. He is good but unless he really breaks out next season he isn't worth more than about 7 million.
cblaz11
MVP

Lol...7 million?

When is the deadline? Floyd was a man possessed the 2nd half of the year. I think having the ability to learn from Mack is showing when it comes to playing with leverage.

I say pick up the option and put pressure on him to have a big year and earn the extension similar to Fuller.

Long term, I say he’s a 10-12 mill a year guy.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 0/gamelog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He needs to be more consistent to get any money. He has a few nice games a year, but generally gets hurt or disapears in too many games. I'd extend him but I'd want a modest deal with performance escalators
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Keeping Eddie Jackson and to a lesser extent Amos is more important to me than Floyd. With Mack on the other side, a lot of other OLBs would feast on the opportunity. If there's a way to extend Amos and Jackson first I'd rather do that then see what's left over for Floyd.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

He showed up in the second half of the season. He seems to be figuring it out and he's playing faster now. Hard to build through the draft, if you don't resign your draft picks.
EricTighe
MVP

I would prefer to re-sign Callahan.

Floyd is great at chasing down a play but when someone locks on to him he has shown a tendency to stop. I am kinda torn on this one. The better question might be if one of our two rookies from last year could replace him they both looked good at times.

Not to mention our front 7 is in this order.
Mack, Hicks, Smith, Trevethan, Goldman then Floyd, Nichols. (this is no knock on anyone of these guys and where I rank them. They would be in top three on 90% of the teams in the league.)

So is he worth the money?
Last edited by EricTighe on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I was still defending him mid-season and saying "wait till he's fully healthy".

He played better when that finally happened and I was about to say "you absolutely pick up his option".

Then I saw the figures.
WAY higher than what I thought they were.
He's not at all that good or irreplaceable.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
EricTighe
MVP

I am more and more inclined to let Floyd walk.

Look at the FA's available.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents ... inebacker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We are so close right now and the thought of getting Clay Mathews to play on the opposite side of Mack could allow Mathews to regain his old form and play at that high levle for 3 or 4 more seasons. The thought of having Mathews and Mack together on the outside makes me start to drool. Not to mention at his age we could probably get him for about 4 to 6 million year.
EricTighe
MVP

We don't need to think about this yet. Like Howard they still on rookie deal. Keep them all and see what happens. Still love the idea of getting Mathews to piss off the Pucker fans.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I’d rather resign him to a more reasonable longer term deal. I’d have a number though. He’s good, but certainly not great. And you have to factor in that he’s had trouble staying healthy.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote:Lol...7 million?

When is the deadline? Floyd was a man possessed the 2nd half of the year. I think having the ability to learn from Mack is showing when it comes to playing with leverage.

I say pick up the option and put pressure on him to have a big year and earn the extension similar to Fuller.

3 years in and he averages 5 sacks and 30 or so tackles a year. If you want to give that 10-12 mill a season you better go be GM of the Lions. He has one more year left and I would let it play out offering a cheaper extension.

He tied for 98th in the league in sacks this year, has never eclipsed 7 sacks and is dinged up a lot.

Unless he goes crazy this next season nobody is giving him big money so there is no need to use the 5th year option. If they like him give him a reasonable extension. If he thinks he is worth more then you roll with Irving, Fitts, resign lynch or someone else.

His stats are very pedestrian considering the D line talent around him and the fact that he is always the guy not being double teamed.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

I think it's pretty clear that the 5th year option is too expensive based on his level of play. Yes, he's gotten better this year, but he hasn't shown the sustained success to warrant a $15M deal.

Instead, we should go the Kyle Fuller route. Let him play out his rookie deal and then tag him appropriately after next season.
WagonForce
MVP

I'm inclined to extend Floyd. He hasn't made the impact we hoped for based on where he was selected, but the latter half of this season saw him consistently contributing.

The fear is that he regresses, or his production was a consequence of playing with players like Hicks and Mack drawing major attention from the opposing offense.

This team is light on draft capital. If the Bears can find a way to extend him early to keep the cost down, I think it would be to the their advantage.
cblaz11
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:

3 years in and he averages 5 sacks and 30 or so tackles a year. If you want to give that 10-12 mill a season you better go be GM of the Lions. He has one more year left and I would let it play out offering a cheaper extension.

He tied for 98th in the league in sacks this year, has never eclipsed 7 sacks and is dinged up a lot.

Unless he goes crazy this next season nobody is giving him big money so there is no need to use the 5th year option. If they like him give him a reasonable extension. If he thinks he is worth more then you roll with Irving, Fitts, resign lynch or someone else.

His stats are very pedestrian considering the D line talent around him and the fact that he is always the guy not being double teamed.
You get yourself into trouble when you pay for past past performance...Or in this case, don’t pay because of past performance. We didn’t pick up the option for Fuller and it bit us in the butt. Many, wanted him cut before the start of the 2017 season. You have to look beyond stats and factor in things like health, age, makeup of the surroundings, and year to year improvement

Floyd has not had the numbers after 3 seasons in the NFL...That said, I saw a difference maker on the field this year after he recovered from the injury.

That said, he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. So, I pick up the option and force him to do what he did this year again next year. If he does, then I absolutely think he will be a 12 million dollar man. There will be a line of teams willing to give it to him if we don’t:
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:

You get yourself into trouble when you pay for past past performance...Or in this case, don’t pay because of past performance. We didn’t pick up the option for Fuller and it bit us in the butt. Many, wanted him cut before the start of the 2017 season. You have to look beyond stats and factor in things like health, age, makeup of the surroundings, and year to year improvement

Floyd has not had the numbers after 3 seasons in the NFL...That said, I saw a difference maker on the field this year after he recovered from the injury.

That said, he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. So, I pick up the option and force him to do what he did this year again next year. If he does, then I absolutely think he will be a 12 million dollar man. There will be a line of teams willing to give it to him if we don’t:
He is already locked in for next year. He was on the field more than two times as much as lynch and got 1 more sack than him.

He is an ok player but easily replaceable.

And I would disagree that fuller bit anyone in the but. They made him earn a paycheck and he did.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Sounds like they are picking it up so he is outrs for 2 more seasons.
BR0D1E86
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:Sounds like they are picking it up so he is outrs for 2 more seasons.
Yep, multiple reports. Hopefully working on an extension in the interim.

https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/statu ... 37024?s=20
Pagan
MVP

I agree... the broken hand set him back.. but he was coming on big time at the end of the 2017 season.
After healing.... he's back to form & still with a high ceiling!

All that said... I say dont take the 5th year option on Floyd.

Extend him to a 4 year contract!
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Pagan wrote:I agree... the broken hand set him back.. but he was coming on big time at the end of the 2017 season.
After healing.... he's back to form & still with a high ceiling!

All that said... I say dont take the 5th year option on Floyd.

Extend him to a 4 year contract!
I can't help but think that the extension is already in the works. Really hard for me to see Floyd as a $13M player at this point. I know Pace said they were picking up the option, but I bet the extension comes before 2020
WagonForce
MVP

Mayer is reporting that the Bears are planning on picking up Floyd's 5th year option.

https://twitter.com/LarryMayer/status/1084891024760156161
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Are the Bears allowed to sign the option and extend him? It seems smart to extend him this year while there's leverage.
xyt in the discord chats
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote:Are the Bears allowed to sign the option and extend him? It seems smart to extend him this year while there's leverage.
Yes
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Hell with signing the option. Just look at his numbers and tell him... You're a 6-8 sack a year starting NFL 3-4 OLB who has missed significant injury time every single year. That's worth what, $8M/year? Here's $15M guaranteed and $36M over 4 years. Be happy.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:Are the Bears allowed to sign the option and extend him? It seems smart to extend him this year while there's leverage.
Yes

I sure hope so, because no way in hell is he worth that figure, and they can't afford more crazy overpayments at this point.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

If they couldn’t get an extension done at a price they like they can also release him after next season.
wab
Mod

southdakbearfan wrote:If they couldn’t get an extension done at a price they like they can also release him after next season.
This is where football politics come into play. I don't think Pace wants his first two top 10 picks to both move on from the team. White is understandable...he was hurt and then struggled picking up the new offense - an offense that he wasn't drafted to play in.

Floyd however has been good enough to justify extending. He's a 7-8 sack a year guy that is used in a variety of different ways. That's worth something.
G08
Hall of Famer

This is still a year away, right? We don't have to implement this until the 2020-2021 season if I'm not mistaken.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

G08 wrote:This is still a year away, right? We don't have to implement this until the 2020-2021 season if I'm not mistaken.
Correct