Bears hire Chuck Pagano to be Defensive Coordinator

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

MoFugger
Head Coach

That being said. If Kyle Fuller stays healthy you will totally love that the Bears didn't give up on him a couple years ago! And a healthy Eddie Jackson is going to break records. Floyd and Smith will be another great Bears linebacker tandem, Hicks will prove why he is my favorite Chicago Bear(to the rest of the world).
Mack would be a great player regardless, but she won't be dropping into coverage as much and he just gets to be Khalil Mack.
I just wanted to make it clear that I am optimistic about this move.
EricTighe
MVP

Mo I must disagree with you.

It is more than possible we have everyone back next year.

1. I do not believe Amos will garner the money we think he may cost because we love the guy. Too rich of a Free Agent class and as much as we all love the guy he is not a top ten safety. Jackson is the man and Amos is consistent and steady which usually doesn't equate to big contracts. Plus we still have Bush who in no way in hell is Amos but he is cheap.
2. Callahan getting hurt may have hurt us this year but may have gotten us to keep him at a lower contract for next. That is of course if the new staff doesn't fall in love with Tolliver the way Vic did at the beginning of the year.

So other than those two guys who else may we lose?

I understand we will probably have to ante up for Massie, the FA class for O-lineman sucks. Let us be honest no early draft pick means we can't depend on the draft for a good O-lineman. (well not this year anyway)

One more question? Why in the hell does anyone think we will get rid of Howard when he is costing us next to nothing to have? I would love to see him go if we aren't going to use but that is only because of my man crush on the guy. Other than that he is costing us peanuts on the dollar.

Pagano was and is a D-coordinator not a GM and not the Head Coach. So he will get what Pace and Nagy gives him.

Remember Buddy Ryan in all his glory with the 85 Bears never wanted Perry but got him anyway.
EricTighe
MVP

One more thing I think we brought Pagano in for a completely different reason.

I believe we brought him in for his experience to go with Nagy still learning on the job. Kinda the way the Rams brought some old one foot in the grave DC in Wade Phillips to run there D. As good as these young coaches are they need to have some grey haired old dudes around to help through the process.
MoFugger
Head Coach

EricTighe wrote:One more thing I think we brought Pagano in for a completely different reason.

I believe we brought him in for his experience to go with Nagy still learning on the job. Kinda the way the Rams brought some old one foot in the grave DC in Wade Phillips to run there D. As good as these young coaches are they need to have some grey haired old dudes around to help through the process.
Two quick points to everything you just said.
First, I believe Howard is going to be traded as a courtesy to Jordan Howard. I really believe the Bears want someone else in his spot on the depth chart, and a trade is almost a guarantee that he's going to get a contract extension that he would not get from the Bears.
Amos is going to get a pretty good payday. It's not going to be some Blockbuster deal, but I don't think the Bears will be interested in competing for him. Pagano did not take this job to be a babysitter oh, and the one thing this roster does not match is what he likes to do in the secondary.

This is just my prediction. I could be wrong. two weeks ago I predicted the Bears to beat the Rams this weekend. I was even going to travel out to the game since it was only a 5-hour drive.
So if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If I'm right, I still have the Bears defense being extremely nasty. and we may have a tough schedule next year, but every single one of our opponents has at least one really badass team to face.
Funkster
MVP

EricTighe wrote:One more thing I think we brought Pagano in for a completely different reason.

I believe they brought him in so Nagy can focus on the offense and just say here is a star studded defense, don’t mess it up. They went out and got a coach that has worked with Fangio so the transition won’t be major. Adding a rumored Rob Ryan will just add to the experience in that room. This should be exciting. These coaches will be a bit more aggressive mixing up blitz packages. Something that could’ve help the bears this season.

As far as Howard, I totally agree with mofugger, I don’t think he will be a Bear next season. They might as well get some value why they can. Nagy really likes flashy things, that’s just not Howard. I really wouldn’t be surprised if he has Pace turning over ever rock on Karem Hunt as we speak. That is the type of player Nagy prefers skill wise over a player like Howard.

Things are happening this evening to set up the new defensive staff, Biggs reported that both the safeties coach Roy Anderson and OLB coach Brandon Staley will not be retained. I’m expecting new names to be announced very soon.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
MoFugger
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:

I believe they brought him in so Nagy can focus on the offense and just say here is a star studded defense, don’t mess it up. They went out and got a coach that has worked with Fangio so the transition won’t be major. Adding a rumored Rob Ryan will just add to the experience in that room. This should be exciting. These coaches will be a bit more aggressive mixing up blitz packages. Something that could’ve help the bears this season.

As far as Howard, I totally agree with mofugger, I don’t think he will be a Bear next season. They might as well get some value why they can. Nagy really likes flashy things, that’s just not Howard. I really wouldn’t be surprised if he has Pace turning over ever rock on Karem Hunt as we speak. That is the type of player Nagy prefers skill wise over a player like Howard.

Things are happening this evening to set up the new defensive staff, Biggs reported that both the safeties coach Roy Anderson and OLB coach Brandon Staley will not be retained. I’m expecting new names to be announced very soon.
I don't want to get extremely off topic here. Yes, it's really easy to cconnect Kareem Hunt to the Chicago Bears.
except that it would be extremely uncharacteristic of the Chicago Bears organization.
I am all for giving a 23 year old kid a second chance, but I think his situation may be more complicated than that.
there is no doubt in my mind if the Bears see the risk worth the reward, that they did their due diligence, and there would be language in the contract that would protect them.
But again, it's just not a move I can see them making.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

MoFugger wrote:
Funkster wrote:

I don't want to get extremely off topic here. Yes, it's really easy to cconnect Kareem Hunt to the Chicago Bears.
except that it would be extremely uncharacteristic of the Chicago Bears organization.
I am all for giving a 23 year old kid a second chance, but I think his situation may be more complicated than that.
there is no doubt in my mind if the Bears see the risk worth the reward, that they did their due diligence, and there would be language in the contract that would protect them.
Interesting Mo. I was going to express disagreement over Howard being traded with one caveat only. That caveat would be IF (and it is a big IF) Kareem Hunt is cleared to play by the league and Pace/Nagy want to roll the PR dice to give him a chance. Then, and only then, can I see them letting Howard walk.

As far as Massie, I don't really want to resign him because I'd like to get someone better/younger. Not saying he is bad but we might not have much choice. As far as Amos and Callahan, it would be nice to retain them but it wouldn't surprise me if they walk or stay.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I find it interesting posters here are anointing Deon Bush. I wouldn't overspend for Amos, but Busch wouldn't be my plan A or B.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote: Amos is going to get a pretty good payday. It's not going to be some Blockbuster deal, but I don't think the Bears will be interested in competing for him. Pagano did not take this job to be a babysitter oh, and the one thing this roster does not match is what he likes to do in the secondary.
Let's also keep in mind that the draft is coming up, and IIRC this is a talent laden draft for safeties. I think it's possible that teams will look to the draft to find a CF rather than overpay for a good, but not great player.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
MoFugger wrote:
Funkster wrote:

Interesting Mo. I was going to express disagreement over Howard being traded with one caveat only. That caveat would be IF (and it is a big IF) Kareem Hunt is cleared to play by the league and Pace/Nagy want to roll the PR dice to give him a chance. Then, and only then, can I see them letting Howard walk.

As far as Massie, I don't really want to resign him because I'd like to get someone better/younger. Not saying he is bad but we might not have much choice. As far as Amos and Callahan, it would be nice to retain them but it wouldn't surprise me if they walk or stay.
Massie is a competent, reasonable, but certainly not exceptional RT. He'll probably get paid in the $10M range. We all would prefer "better/younger". But where are you going to find that guy and how much is he going to cost with our limited cap space? You're not going to draft a RT in R3 and pin your hopes on immediate success from that guy are you?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

MoFugger wrote:
Funkster wrote:

Reportedly Virginia was very turned off by the whole Ray McDonald thing, so I’d be surprised if they went after Hunt.
BR0D1E86
MVP

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/108 ... 63552?s=20
Can’t hurt. He’ll get an up close look at some later round talent. Apparently Ed Reed is assistant coaching with him in the game, so there may be some validity to those rumors.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:Massie is a competent, reasonable, but certainly not exceptional RT. He'll probably get paid in the $10M range. We all would prefer "better/younger". But where are you going to find that guy and how much is he going to cost with our limited cap space? You're not going to draft a RT in R3 and pin your hopes on immediate success from that guy are you?
I mean... Massie was drafted by the Cardinals in the fourth round and proceeded to start 16 games.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote:
Massie is a competent, reasonable, but certainly not exceptional RT. He'll probably get paid in the $10M range. We all would prefer "better/younger". But where are you going to find that guy and how much is he going to cost with our limited cap space? You're not going to draft a RT in R3 and pin your hopes on immediate success from that guy are you?[/quote]

That younger guy might be Rashaad Coward. We have no idea how much he might have improved, but the coaches must think highly of him or he would have gone to the practice squad. If Harry thinks he can be as good as Massie then I think we'll let Massie go - otherwise it would be foolish to create a hole in the offense. And remember - this decision will need to be made before the draft.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:Massie is a competent, reasonable, but certainly not exceptional RT. He'll probably get paid in the $10M range. We all would prefer "better/younger". But where are you going to find that guy and how much is he going to cost with our limited cap space? You're not going to draft a RT in R3 and pin your hopes on immediate success from that guy are you?
I mean... Massie was drafted by the Cardinals in the fourth round and proceeded to start 16 games.
And was he any good as a rookie? Even if he was, that's one example. Do we want to go thru the number of 3rd and 4th round examples that didn't work out? When Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy have to be expecting a Super Bowl run in 2019?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I think if you have a competent GM (Pace is) and a quality OL coach, you can draft OTs in later rds and see them work out. Whether the majority will or not, that is a good study. I just looked at Tackles from the final 4 and 2 other teams in the playoffs, 12 tackles total. Out of those 12, there are 3 1st rd guys, 3 2nd rd guys, 2 3rd rd guys, a 5th, a 7th and an UDFA. It can be done and I would expect Pace is a guy who could find that diamond in the rough.
wab
Mod

I mean, if you don't think your GM can find a starter (whether immediate or eventual) in the 3rd round, why the hell is he your GM?
BR0D1E86
MVP

I think we have to consider Coward a legitimate possibility. The fact that they kept him on the active roster rather than risk him on the practice squad seems to say something.
G08
Hall of Famer

This defense is going to be a lot of fun if they buy into coach Pagano's philosophies and master the defense quickly. Might get burned a bit here and there but it will be an attacking scheme for sure.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Funkster
MVP

Per Ed Reed’s Twitter, he’s with Pagano now coaching the NFLPA collegiate bowl. They have history and Reed does have some coaching experience. He was an assistant DB coach for the bills in 2016. That team also saw Rob Ryan as assistant HC. That team ranked 19th overall and allowed 23.6 PPG and sacked the QB 39 times.Their passing defense was ranked 6th and had 12 interceptions. The rushing defense ranked 29th averaging 133 yards per game.

Pagano will be filling his staff soon, if he were to choose Ryan and Reed, mixed in with the bears young talent and top of the league unit, I would feel very comfortable if those two were on staff.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I think if you have a competent GM (Pace is) and a quality OL coach, you can draft OTs in later rds and see them work out. Whether the majority will or not, that is a good study. I just looked at Tackles from the final 4 and 2 other teams in the playoffs, 12 tackles total. Out of those 12, there are 3 1st rd guys, 3 2nd rd guys, 2 3rd rd guys, a 5th, a 7th and an UDFA. It can be done and I would expect Pace is a guy who could find that diamond in the rough.
I think you guys are lacking in situational perspective. If you draft a guy in R3 to play RT and he sucks and one of the backup guys like Coward (who are backups for a reason) don't make a fortuitous improvement, then you're going into a season with Super Bowl aspirations with a CLEAR weakness in being able to protect your QB from the word go. That's unforgivable if you're the GM, when you had a guy who was reasonable that you could've re-signed.

It's more understandable to make the same kind of 'draft in R3 and hope' move in a development year when you don't have high expectations. But you don't do that going into 2019 coming off a 12-4 year. R3 guys have roughly a 30% chance of eventually becoming quality starters. Sure, you hope Ryan Pace is better than that. But that's nowhere close to a sure thing.

wab
Mod

You...build the team through the draft. If you don't think your front office can replace Bobby Freaking Massie in the draft, then again, I ask, why are those guys in charge.
Umbali
MVP

wab wrote:You...build the team through the draft. If you don't think your front office can replace Bobby Freaking Massie in the draft, then again, I ask, why are those guys in charge.
You dont have much draft capital this year to build through the draft. Seeing what decisions are made in FA is going to be the key to begin to predict which draft decisions are made.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
G08
Hall of Famer

I have a feeling it'll be some combo of RB/OT with our first two picks.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Funkster
MVP

Fellas, we’re getting way off topic here. This is a defensive thread :thumbsup:

Bears defensive UFA:
Adrian Amos
Bryce Callahan
Aaron Lynch
Marcus Williams
Nicholas Williams

Bears defensive RFA:
DeAndrea Houston-Carson

Bears defensive ERFA:
Roy Robertson-Harris
Isaiah Irving
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:You...build the team through the draft. If you don't think your front office can replace Bobby Freaking Massie in the draft, then again, I ask, why are those guys in charge.
There's a rather substantial difference between "build the team through the draft" and planning and expecting a draft pick selected in the 80's to be not only be a competent NFL starter, but also to be that out of the gate in his rookie year. From what you've posted here on this subject, I don't see another option unless it's Coward, a complete unknown.

Knuckles
Player of the Month

I was really worried when Fangio was hired as HC of Denver because I expected the Bears to do the good old boy thing as usual and hire someone that might not be the right guy but is a good pal to someone in power. I'm glad however that they went out and got the right guy for the job once again. I don't think this defense misses a beat next year and might be even more fun to watch. I like the idea of blitzing a little more and creating more opportunities for our LBs and Ss to get in on the action. There's just so much talent there.

They might take a little longer to gel this season just because there's going to be some new stuff they'll need to get used to but overall I think they might be a little scarier to play against.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think there's a third option we're not discussing where the Bears replace departing expensive FAs with adequate mid-priced FA and also target that position in the draft. I'll say though that I'd rather not lose two guys in a position group. If Callahan walks I want Amos to stay, if Long is waived to save money, I'd like Massie retained. Pace has put us in a good spot where these positions of need are not super crucial or expensive positions.

Bringing Pagano into it because thread topic:

I'm looking at his Ravens roster and see that his CBs were both 180lb type guys, and his SS was 225. If these are his preferred body types that helps Bryce and hurts Amos if you believe he has input into what Pace does.
xyt in the discord chats
MoFugger
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
MoFugger wrote: Amos is going to get a pretty good payday. It's not going to be some Blockbuster deal, but I don't think the Bears will be interested in competing for him. Pagano did not take this job to be a babysitter oh, and the one thing this roster does not match is what he likes to do in the secondary.

Let's also keep in mind that the draft is coming up, and IIRC this is a talent laden draft for safeties. I think it's possible that teams will look to the draft to find a CF rather than overpay for a good, but not great player.
And the Bears could be one of those teams. It's not like we suck with late round picks. we had four major playmakers in this past year that the Bears took in the fourth round or later.
In free agency, we signed a wide receiver who was an undrafted free agent in 2012, got kicked off The browns!!!
But wasn't Taylor Gabriel an important part of this team???
Akiem Hicks is my favorite bear. He was a third-round pick who is now on his third team, and I don't think anyone would argue with me when I say that this should be his last.
Leno has never been a favorite of mine, but I'll be damned if that seventh-round pick didn't hold down the left tackle job as well as any pro bowler this year.
and it is because of that kind of management, that the Bears had the opportunity to trade for a guy like Khalil Mack.
Trust in our management. outside of Kevin White, they have given you every reason to trust them.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:And the Bears could be one of those teams. It's not like we suck with late round picks. we had four major playmakers in this past year that the Bears took in the fourth round or later.
I think history shows the Bears are better with late round picks than first round picks
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin