View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:38 pm 
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
I figure anyone Nagy signs off on as someone he can work with and can get the job done is good enough for me

Love the simplicity of this post!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:05 am 
MVP

I still don't know what to think of hiring Pagano. The Baltimore connection is great, but did he only have one year as DC? I don't get too worked up about the Indy thing because I don't think he had the players.

My mind was focused on Mike Nolan and Rex Ryan so Pagano came from left field at me. Hopefully he does even better than Fangio and there's a chance of it because the longer this unit sticks together and gels the better they'll be. We've also got some VERY PROMISING young guys (Jackson, Amos, Nichols, Roquan, RRH, and I'm sure I left out a few) that will only continue to get better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:15 am 
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
I still don't know what to think of hiring Pagano. The Baltimore connection is great, but did he only have one year as DC? I don't get too worked up about the Indy thing because I don't think he had the players.

My mind was focused on Mike Nolan and Rex Ryan so Pagano came from left field at me. Hopefully he does even better than Fangio and there's a chance of it because the longer this unit sticks together and gels the better they'll be. We've also got some VERY PROMISING young guys (Jackson, Amos, Nichols, Roquan, RRH, and I'm sure I left out a few) that will only continue to get better.

I do wish he had a greater sample size as being a defensive coordinator. In Indy, his defensive talent was awful and it showed on the field.

Still, his players LOVE him and play hard for him, so I can't hate on that. Selfishly, I hope he's a better game planner and play caller than he is a good human being.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:49 pm 
MVP

G08 wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

I do wish he had a greater sample size as being a defensive coordinator. In Indy, his defensive talent was awful and it showed on the field.

Still, his players LOVE him and play hard for him, so I can't hate on that. Selfishly, I hope he's a better game planner and play caller than he is a good human being.

Pagano supposedly likes to blitz a lot and that plays to a strength of ours. Imagine being a QB and genuinely not knowing if either Mack, Floyd, Roquan, Trevathan or a DB is coming and then using the others as decoys. We have the personnel for his blitzing schemes to be very successful.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:27 am 
Practice Squad

I didn't want to team to go anywhere near either of the Ryan brothers. Rex is a blowhard failure and while I did like Rob in his Oakland days his later career stops left a real bad taste in my mouth.

Nolan would have been interesting but in all honesty I have no idea what he's been doing the past 5 years or so.

Can't say I'm displeased with Pags. He didn't do great as a HC but he was saddled with a lot of hurdles; plus his own health battle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 am 
Mod

I'm lukewarm on Pagano. His defenses were terrible in Indy, but Grigson didn't do him any favors...the defensive players he drafted were terrible.

All of his draft picks were pretty terrible. Which I suppose is why he's no longer the GM.

But once Arians left, the Colts went from a perennial 11-5 team to an 8-8 and 4-12 team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:17 am 
Head Coach

I'm fine with Pagano. Right now anyway. There were a lot of downward trending things happening in Indy that make it really hard for a 1st time HC guy. With the speed of our LBs and our DB's ability to match up man-to-man, this could be a really fun defense.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:22 pm 
Journeyman

I think Pagano is probably a great hire from a 2019 perspective.

My concerns are about going forward, as he is well thought of in the league and is already being interviewed for head coaching spots. I expect our defense will do well again this year and Pagano will be a top candidate for the 6 or 8 spots that come available in 2020. So I expect to be having this same conversation next year. After listening to the players talk about how great it was to be in the same system for the 4th year in a row and how they were finally really getting it, to be potentially changing systems again next year seems a big risk to take. Especially as that will be right in the middle of our Super Bowl window.

That's why I liked the idea of Donatell. I doubt'd he'd be going anywhere anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:24 am 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
I'm lukewarm on Pagano. His defenses were terrible in Indy, but Grigson didn't do him any favors...the defensive players he drafted were terrible.

All of his draft picks were pretty terrible. Which I suppose is why he's no longer the GM.

But once Arians left, the Colts went from a perennial 11-5 team to an 8-8 and 4-12 team.

To be fair. Luck has been injured for the last two years. He's finally just coming back into form. Their OL was a train wreck for three years, and they lost some important starters on defense. I'm not sure it was Pagano's fault.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:13 pm 
Pro Bowler

I have been warming to the hire as time has gone by. Not sure if it the sport's fans version of Stockholm Syndrome (start to like them as a hostage fan) or because I keep reading positive articles about him. I wish I saw a longer track record of success in one spot, but as many have said the talent in Indy during his time was weak. I really do like the idea of both sides of the ball shared the attacking mentality. My ONLY gripe in the Fangio years was the tendency to go into soft prevent mode with every lead in the 4th and let the other team eat clock and move slowly down the field, often to score some points in tight games. Our talent is well suited to a style that blitzes a bit more, or could have a variety of different players capable of blitzing from different positions and formations. I also worry about him jetting after the season to be an HC again. Perhaps hiring Ted Monachino as "senior defensive assistant", as well as OLB coach, is meant to be someone to groom up for that possibility?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next