View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:17 am 
Hall of Famer

Sounds like he will be introduced at Halas Hall tomorrow (Thursday).

I look at it like he knew how to keep a good thing going his one year as DC in Baltimore. Hopefully he can do the same here.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:01 am 
Journeyman

Heads up- Chuck Pagano will apparently be on the Pat McAfee show (podcast) Thursday/Friday.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:27 am 
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Chicago Bears
@ChicagoBears

Chuck Pagano's first press conference as #DaBears DC will begin approx. one hour from now at 10am CT.

You can catch it live on http://ChicagoBears.com , in our app, on Facebook and right here on Twitter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:45 am 
Hall of Famer

Rich Campbell

Verified account

@Rich_Campbell
3m3 minutes ago
More
New Bears DC Chuck Pagano just finished his intro presser.

He said he'll put the onus on himself in meshing his terminology with what Bears used under Vic Fangio.

He described an aggressive defense that'll "wreak havoc" by rushing 4, simulating pressure & calculated blitzes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:07 pm 
Head Coach

Quote:
He will continue to run the Bears’ 3-4 scheme under a teaching philosophy he called “K.I.L.L. — Keep It Likable & Learnable.”

:toast:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:49 pm 
Mod

Bears DC Chuck Pagano not interested in again being head coach
12:19 PM CT
Jeff Dickerson
ESPN Staff Writer

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Former Indianapolis Colts head coach and current Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano said Thursday that he's not interested in any future NFL head-coaching jobs.

"I'm not. I've done it," Pagano at his introductory news conference.

"I'm motivated to just help coach Matt Nagy be successful. Help this organization be successful. Help these kids grow and develop. That's my motivation is to be the best I can be for this organization, for the McCaskey family, for Coach Nagy and for these players and for these coaches and help develop these guys. That's the only thing I want to do."

Pagano, 58, coached the Colts for six seasons (2012-17), winning two AFC South titles (2013, 2014) while making three consecutive playoff appearances (2012-14). He was fired with a 53-43 regular-season record and a 3-3 mark in the postseason.

Indianapolis rebounded to reach the playoffs last year under first-time head coach Frank Reich. Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, who missed the entire 2017 season and battled injuries throughout Pagano's final three years, started all 16 regular-season games and passed for 4,593 yards, 39 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Luck led the Colts to an opening-round playoff victory over Houston before Indianapolis lost to Kansas City in the AFC divisional round.

"I am better, not bitter," Pagano said. "We had a great run, great experiences together. I was a lot better coach when No. 12 [Luck] was under center than I was when he wasn't, you know, and that's well documented. He probably got me a few more years than I may have deserved. I always say that. My wife is going to kill me for saying that, 'just don't say that.' I just keep it real. But it was great to see Andrew back.

"There was a time there that he thought he was never going to play again and we had a lot of tough, critical conversations, you know, because he is such a great teammate and such a great competitor. The NFL is better when he is on the field, and I think we all saw that. It's great for the game, it's great for him, it's great for that organization."

Pagano worked as an NFL consultant last season. He said that a year away from coaching allowed him to "reset, recharge and reflect."

The coaching veteran takes over one of the league's best defensive units. Chicago's defense led the league last year in yards per play (4.78), points per game (17.7), takeaways (36) and interceptions (27).

"Our vision for this defense is to be the best," Pagano said. "Can we be the best in the history of the game? The pieces are there, and they will continue to add pieces. Can we continue to be better than we were last year? Absolutely. It's going to be very, very difficult and a huge challenge, but one we will be up for."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:54 pm 
Hall of Famer

God if he can be a stud DC for Nagy and our Bears for the next 10+ years....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:22 pm 
Head Coach

wab wrote:
Bears DC Chuck Pagano not interested in again being head coach
12:19 PM CT
Jeff Dickerson
ESPN Staff Writer

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Former Indianapolis Colts head coach and current Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano said Thursday that he's not interested in any future NFL head-coaching jobs.

"I'm not. I've done it," Pagano at his introductory news conference.

"I'm motivated to just help coach Matt Nagy be successful. Help this organization be successful. Help these kids grow and develop. That's my motivation is to be the best I can be for this organization, for the McCaskey family, for Coach Nagy and for these players and for these coaches and help develop these guys. That's the only thing I want to do."

Pagano, 58, coached the Colts for six seasons (2012-17), winning two AFC South titles (2013, 2014) while making three consecutive playoff appearances (2012-14). He was fired with a 53-43 regular-season record and a 3-3 mark in the postseason.

Indianapolis rebounded to reach the playoffs last year under first-time head coach Frank Reich. Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, who missed the entire 2017 season and battled injuries throughout Pagano's final three years, started all 16 regular-season games and passed for 4,593 yards, 39 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Luck led the Colts to an opening-round playoff victory over Houston before Indianapolis lost to Kansas City in the AFC divisional round.

"I am better, not bitter," Pagano said. "We had a great run, great experiences together. I was a lot better coach when No. 12 [Luck] was under center than I was when he wasn't, you know, and that's well documented. He probably got me a few more years than I may have deserved. I always say that. My wife is going to kill me for saying that, 'just don't say that.' I just keep it real. But it was great to see Andrew back.

"There was a time there that he thought he was never going to play again and we had a lot of tough, critical conversations, you know, because he is such a great teammate and such a great competitor. The NFL is better when he is on the field, and I think we all saw that. It's great for the game, it's great for him, it's great for that organization."

Pagano worked as an NFL consultant last season. He said that a year away from coaching allowed him to "reset, recharge and reflect."

The coaching veteran takes over one of the league's best defensive units. Chicago's defense led the league last year in yards per play (4.78), points per game (17.7), takeaways (36) and interceptions (27).

"Our vision for this defense is to be the best," Pagano said. "Can we be the best in the history of the game? The pieces are there, and they will continue to add pieces. Can we continue to be better than we were last year? Absolutely. It's going to be very, very difficult and a huge challenge, but one we will be up for."
That's some big stuff right there. If he's in the ballpark with Fangio as a DC, we could be talking some incredible serendipity there.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:27 am 
Practice Squad

I'll believe Pagano isn't interested in being a head coach again when he is declining interviews, but I appreciate him killing the storyline in that way for now. Awesome if it is true.

I will admit Pagano's saying he would learn the language actually gave me pause because it reminded me too much of Trestman getting jobs in part because he would agree to learn the offense language instead of the players. Or Mel Tucker getting the job because he would supposedly keep Lovie's language. At least Pagano was talking about playing his style of defense instead of trying to mimic Fangio.

I did learn Todd Bowles was Pagano's assistant DB coach with the Browns. So that's at least one person that Nagy could talk to get some insight on Pagano. Overall I think I trust Pagano to at least be a leader and motivator of the defense. How good he actually is at defensive strategy and play calling we will see.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:11 pm 
MVP

I’m excited to see a similar scheme with the aggressiveness turned up a notch...

https://twitter.com/djdurkin/status/1089203980109074432?s=20

Granted, Vic is a wizard at disguising coverages. It wouldn’t surprise me if Pagano isn’t quite as strong there. But hopefully some more pressure will make that a wash.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next