Bears Presser - Ryan and Matt

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
sturf wrote:Vick came to Philadelphia as the backup QB and had to spend a year sitting on the bench. Vick had never played for Reid. Reid had been in Philadelphia for a decade and consistently won going to the Super Bowl and multiple NFC championship games.

1. If you bring Hunt in he is not going to be a backup. The Bears are then kicking Howard out who has done everything right and been productive overall to the curb.
2. Nagy bringing Hunt in could lead to feelings of favoritism within the locker room. Different rules for his guys.

Everyone says you can find RB's even late in the draft so why take risks for a RB? Hunt himself was a mid 3rd round pick.
I don't necessarily agree with #1. If you bring in Hunt, you DO NOT hand him the job no matter what. You let him earn his reps and if Jordan Howard is balling out -- hey, good for us! If Hunt starts outperforming Howard, then you let Hunt take over. The best player should play regardless.

2. I don't necessarily agree with this either. Bringing in a kid who led the league in rushing, in this very scheme, as a rookie is impressive. You bring talent into the locker room and the players will -- for the most part -- respect that.

I don't get the impression Kareem Hunt is a kid who is going to come in and puff out his chest and rub players the wrong way.
You only bring in Hunt of you keep Howard. Sure, let them compete, and then you decide who to keep (if you decide to keep either of them) at the end of the season.

That's the only way to save any face in this. If you trade Howard and bring in Hunt, that's a problem for me and could be a problem for the guys in the locker room who try to do things the right way.
For sure, it would be a completely stupid play by Nagy. You bring him in and beat the drum that you want to give him a second chance to revive his career and his life, but make it CRYSTAL CLEAR he's in a competition once he's cleared to play.

I just kind of already know this kid is a better runner and all-around back than JH.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS