Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20372
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:21 am

The NFL announced Monday that the Bears’ road game against the Oakland Raiders in 2019 will be played in London.

The date, time and venue for the contest will be revealed in conjunction with the release of the full NFL schedule this spring.

It will be the third regular-season game in Bears history played outside the United States and the second contest in London.


https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears ... on-in-2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19627
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:24 am

Goddammit.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20372
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:28 am

Yeah. Not a fan.
Image
skamanfrank
Journeyman
Location: Royal Leamington Spa, England
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:11 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:49 am

I AM A MASSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FAN OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT!

Now, I appreciate why you guys might not be a fan, I'm not about to try and persuade you otherwise- not my place. Also, I have only been to one NFL game in America (Miami at Texans this year), so I will not attempt to compare it to a regular game, BUT I will say this:

The NFL London games are EXTREMELY well supported, by an ever growing, increasingly more football-intelligent fan base. They are supported and attended by young and old alike. As someone who has had a season ticket for about 5 years now, I can confirm that the experience is fantastic with an incredible atmosphere- if you're thinking about coming over DO IT. It will be great. I would also say that it's come a long way from the early days of the International Series

On a more personal note- I'm only a Bears fan because my Dad is a Bears fan. Neither of us have seen the Bears play before (didn't make the first London game), so I will of course be renewing my season ticket and absolutely cannot wait.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20372
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:22 am

For sure, I'm delighted for all our BFO UK peeps!
Image
User avatar
BearButtseks
Assistant Coach
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:39 pm

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 am

I'm fine with it - Hell, who know where the hell the rest of the "Oakland" home games will be played next year anyway. So long as the game is scheduled in a way that it won't be too difficult on the team (i.e. before the bye week), then it should be fine. At least it's against a team like the Raiders.
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
Player of the Month
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:48 am

I hate it, but it's good for any Bears fans across the pond and at least they're not taking away one of our home games.
Image
User avatar
beardownbilly
Journeyman
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:51 pm

This is a nice bonus for me. We had already planned to visit Chicago and take in an away game (possibly Washington depending on schedule) but this means the possibility of a third game only a few hundred miles away which makes me very happy.

Especially in our Super Bowl Winning Centenary year:)
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3224
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Yea for UK fans! And technically, I like it because it's a non-home game for one of our away game opponents, if that makes any sense. Nevermind that the Raiders will probably stink in 2019.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
britbear
Player of the Month
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:54 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:08 pm

I am another ecstatic UK fan!!! I was at the previous London game when Forte scored a great rushing TD. Can't wait to see these new Monsters strutting their stuff. I'm also a Tottenham Hotspur fan, so the prospect of the game possibly being played in the awesome new stadium is doubly exciting!
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
User avatar
IotaNet
Crafty Veteran
Location: Minneapolis (Chicago Native)
Posts: 820
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:22 pm

britbear wrote:I am another ecstatic UK fan!!! I was at the previous London game when Forte scored a great rushing TD. Can't wait to see these new Monsters strutting their stuff. I'm also a Tottenham Hotspur fan, so the prospect of the game possibly being played in the awesome new stadium is doubly exciting!
Thought about you as soon as I saw the post. Glad you'll get a chance to enjoy the Bears in person.
Have a pint for me! :toast:
User avatar
britbear
Player of the Month
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:54 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:32 pm

IotaNet wrote:
britbear wrote:I am another ecstatic UK fan!!! I was at the previous London game when Forte scored a great rushing TD. Can't wait to see these new Monsters strutting their stuff. I'm also a Tottenham Hotspur fan, so the prospect of the game possibly being played in the awesome new stadium is doubly exciting!
Thought about you as soon as I saw the post. Glad you'll get a chance to enjoy the Bears in person.
Have a pint for me! :toast:
Thanks mate. Just the tricky issue of getting a ticket now. Need to keep my ears close to the ground. These NFL International Series tickets sell out VERY quickly.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
skamanfrank
Journeyman
Location: Royal Leamington Spa, England
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:11 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:17 pm

As a West Ham fan, the prospect of having to go to White Hart Lane is the worst bit ;) :D :-P
User avatar
Buffaloaf
Rookie
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:37 pm

Mikefive wrote:Yea for UK fans! And technically, I like it because it's a non-home game for one of our away game opponents, if that makes any sense. Nevermind that the Raiders will probably stink in 2019.
This was my initial reaction as well. There's a good chance the Bears have a larger international following than the Raiders, so this is an away game that could have a home game feel for the players. At worst, the Raiders lost home field advantage in this matchup (which probably didn't matter in this matchup anyway).
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
MVP
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:09 am

The price of success. We'll probably have more 7pm and Buck and Aikman games too.
Image
User avatar
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 7723
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 am

The Marshall Plan wrote:The price of success. We'll probably have more 7pm and Buck and Aikman games too.
Yep. It looks like Tony Romo might be the new golden boy though. And I can stomach him and Jim Nantz a lot better than Buck and Aikman.
User avatar
britbear
Player of the Month
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:54 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 am

skamanfrank wrote:As a West Ham fan, the prospect of having to go to White Hart Lane is the worst bit ;) :D :-P
Haha!
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
User avatar
Funkster
MVP
Posts: 1833
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Not going to lie, I’m a little pissed about the bears playing the raiders in London. Being a west coast (Seattle) bears fan I was pumped when I saw the rams and raiders as next years away games. I was planning on going to both, now they lay this crap on me.... :flick:
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
MVP
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:The price of success. We'll probably have more 7pm and Buck and Aikman games too.
Yep. It looks like Tony Romo might be the new golden boy though. And I can stomach him and Jim Nantz a lot better than Buck and Aikman.
Total agreement. Romo calls a great game. Works for me to have him broadcast a few of ours.
Image
User avatar
Bearfacts
Pro Bowler
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:52 am

skamanfrank wrote:I AM A MASSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FAN OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT!

Now, I appreciate why you guys might not be a fan, I'm not about to try and persuade you otherwise- not my place. Also, I have only been to one NFL game in America (Miami at Texans this year), so I will not attempt to compare it to a regular game, BUT I will say this:

The NFL London games are EXTREMELY well supported, by an ever growing, increasingly more football-intelligent fan base. They are supported and attended by young and old alike. As someone who has had a season ticket for about 5 years now, I can confirm that the experience is fantastic with an incredible atmosphere- if you're thinking about coming over DO IT. It will be great. I would also say that it's come a long way from the early days of the International Series

On a more personal note- I'm only a Bears fan because my Dad is a Bears fan. Neither of us have seen the Bears play before (didn't make the first London game), so I will of course be renewing my season ticket and absolutely cannot wait.
Good you chimed in on this. As much of a nuisance as travel can be from experience I do know the Bears have a lot of Brit fans and I get tired of people thinking only the Packers or Cowboys have international appeal.

Long distance travel is one price some teams pay for success.
User avatar
Knuckles
Player of the Month
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:20 pm

I went to the last London game against the Bucs and had a hell of a time. If you have the means to go it's so worth it there's so much to do and they really go all out there for the games. One of the best times I've had...

At least it's against OAK and not a div rival with all the time change and losing home field for a team.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
User avatar
ursamagnus
Practice Squad
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:34 pm

The Marshall Plan wrote:The price of success. We'll probably have more 7pm and Buck and Aikman games too.
Image
User avatar
malk
Head Coach
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:20 pm

Goddamnit, the first season after I move out of London!

Still, easier for me to travel down there on the train than it is to fly to Chicago...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.
User avatar
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Bears @ Raiders to be played in London

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:29 pm

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:The price of success. We'll probably have more 7pm and Buck and Aikman games too.
Yep. It looks like Tony Romo might be the new golden boy though. And I can stomach him and Jim Nantz a lot better than Buck and Aikman.
Total agreement. Romo calls a great game. Works for me to have him broadcast a few of ours.
He's become very good.

When he started, I was not initially a fan. He's polished now, however.

Return to “Halas Hall”