Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
And the Bears’ attempts to replace kicker Cody Parkey officially are underway: Chicago is scheduled to work out former Jets kicker Nick Folk today, per source.

Nick Folk is hardly the only kicker the Bears are working out. There is a fairly wide net they are casting. There are likely to around 6-7 kickers working out, including Folk, per source. Early workout date for kickers.

@RapSheet
There are other kickers in this workout, including veteran Blair Walsh and Austin MacGinnis, who was in #Bears minicamp last year.
Richie
MVP

At least it's something in the way of attacking the issue.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2584 ... ce-kickers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ursamagnus
Practice Squad

UOK wrote:Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
And the Bears’ attempts to replace kicker Cody Parkey officially are underway: Chicago is scheduled to work out former Jets kicker Nick Folk today, per source.

Nick Folk is hardly the only kicker the Bears are working out. There is a fairly wide net they are casting. There are likely to around 6-7 kickers working out, including Folk, per source. Early workout date for kickers.

@RapSheet
There are other kickers in this workout, including veteran Blair Walsh and Austin MacGinnis, who was in #Bears minicamp last year.
Ryan pace is addressing the problem.
UOK
Site Admin

@FourStarChi
Per source, the #Bears are also working out Blair Walsh, Redford Jones, Ernesto Lacayo, Austin MacGinnis, and Josh Gable.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Gotta love a GM that doesn't screw around.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@FourStarChi
Per source, the #Bears are also working out Blair Walsh, Redford Jones, Ernesto Lacayo, Austin MacGinnis, and Josh Gable.
Blair Walsh was a baller once upon a time... I hope he gets his shit together and wins this thing.

I have no idea who the rest of these dudes are.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:@FourStarChi
Blair Walsh was a baller once upon a time... I hope he gets his shit together and wins this thing.

I have no idea who the rest of these dudes are.
Lacayo is a JAG who seems mildly interesting but hasn't proven to be a fit anywhere. He's jacked as fuck, for whatever that's worth.

Reford Jones is a guy out of Alabama who hasn't done anything.

MacGinnis is a JAG who had a cup of coffee with the Bears last year.

Josh Gable is interesting, in that he put together a lot of highlights to show his accuracy and kicking strength. I think the Pats had him in for a tryout before. Not sure if he's been on an NFL roster.

Lacayo: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jones: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MacGinnis: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gable: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dplank
Hall of Famer

I just don't know how much better any of these retreads will be vs the year Parkey just had. Yea, he was awful, but these guys were so bad they weren't even employed.

I want Robbie Gould and I don't care about the cap implications of that. We're a super bowl contender next year, and odds are a big kick will be required along that path to glory.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote:I just don't know how much better any of these retreads will be vs the year Parkey just had. Yea, he was awful, but these guys were so bad they weren't even employed.

I want Robbie Gould and I don't care about the cap implications of that. We're a super bowl contender next year, and odds are a big kick will be required along that path to glory.
Relevant:

CEmma670
56s
Teams can only work out players who were not rostered at season's end, so the Bears are getting a look at kickers presently eligible. Their kicking options aren't at all limited to this group.
wab
Mod

Walsh is interesting. He broke my heart more than once as a Viking and he was basically the best kicker in the NFL for three years. Then he straight up Parkey'd the Vikings in the playoffs in 2016 and did the same to the Seahawks at the end of the regular season the next year.

I love a good comeback story, and the dude used to be a legit star, but I think he's just sort of lost it.

Gable is a cool story being a soccer dude who REALLY wants to be a NFL kicker. And Lacayo looks more like an instagram fitness model than a football player.
G08
Hall of Famer

Gable seems interesting as fuck... Last time we signed someone the Patriots gave a tryout to but let walk was Robbie Gould... Just saying!

wab
Mod

dplank wrote:I just don't know how much better any of these retreads will be vs the year Parkey just had. Yea, he was awful, but these guys were so bad they weren't even employed.

Robbie Gould was also unemployed and working construction when the Bears signed him. I wouldn't say he was unemployed because he was bad.

There's only one roster spot for a kicker so teams rarely ever keep an extra one around or stash one on the practice squad. It's not a position that you invest in and develop a guy, so a lot of guys who might be otherwise successful on a team just don't get an opportunity. That's why some of the better kickers are ones who had previously never been on a roster and have bounced around various camps and preseasons.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Give me a hungry guy vs a Blair Walsh head case. We already have him on the roster.
Funkster
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:Give me a hungry guy vs a Blair Walsh head case. We already have him on the roster.

Exactly, we know who Walsh and Folk are, no thanks. If it’s not Gould then I would much rather see a young buck get a shot rather than some old retread that’s going to fall apart when the heat is on.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

I'm for drafting somebody. It keeps the $$ low while we eat the Parkey contract. Right now I'm rooting for Matt Gay out of Utah.
Bearfacts
MVP

As much as many value bringing Robbie Gould back news out of SF is they badly want to re-sign him.

I don't believe Pace wants or can afford a bidding war that could make Robbie one of the highest paid PKs in the NFL not that he doesn't deserve it. But the net impact of eating the balance of Parkey's cap hit added to what Gould may cost is probably more than we can afford given other UFAs of our own we need to corral. JMHO
UOK
Site Admin

Per multiple sources, K Redford Jones signs with the Bears. First of many Ks Pace signs this offseason I'm sure.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BR0D1E86
MVP

Meh. 3 years at Tulsa:

17/25 - 68%
21/26 - 81%
12/16 - 75%

Total is 75%. Small sample size that last year. I’ll settle for being happy that we’re bringing in competition. I’ll assume he answered that he doesn’t mind dealing with a little traffic to practice kicks at Soldier Field. Stupid friggin Cody Parkey.

Edit: then again I just looked and Gould only made 64% of his college kicks. So who knows.
Last edited by BR0D1E86 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:Meh. 3 years at Tulsa:

17/25 - 68%
21/26 - 81%
12/16 - 75%

Total is 75%. Small sample size that last year. I’ll settle for being happy that we’re bringing in competition. I’ll assume he answered that he doesn’t mind dealing with a little traffic to practice kicks at Soldier Field. Stupid friggin Cody Parkey.
College stats really mean very little in predicting kickers. Vinatieri got benched in college for a lineman to kick he was so inconsistent. Robbie Gould was 63% in college.
UOK
Site Admin

UOK wrote:

Relevant:

CEmma670
56s
Teams can only work out players who were not rostered at season's end, so the Bears are getting a look at kickers presently eligible. Their kicking options aren't at all limited to this group.
Bumping for posterity
G08
Hall of Famer

Since 2010, there are TWO kickers in the NFL that were drafted & stayed with their original team past year 1.

- Jason Sanders
- Greg Zuerlein

There have been 13 kickers who have not.

Meaning, even if the #Bears draft a K, there’s a (13%) chance it works...

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Great college kickers tend to not do so well in the pros for some odd reason. Latest example was Aguayo, who the Bucs traded UP for in the 2nd round. Absolute stupidity IMO to spend high draft choices on college kickers. I can't remember the last one that actually panned out. Someone pointed to Zuerlein being one of the only ones drafted to be on their original team. He was a 6th rounder back in 2012. I wouldn't spend anything more than a 7th round pick on a Kicker and that's being generous. There are far more UDFA's that have panned out than FA and the draft. You can find reliable kickers off the street or guys out of work, you just have to dig a little deeper.
Never Die Easy
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Since 2010, there are TWO kickers in the NFL that were drafted & stayed with their original team past year 1.

- Jason Sanders
- Greg Zuerlein

There have been 13 kickers who have not.

Meaning, even if the #Bears draft a K, there’s a (13%) chance it works...
Interesting.
I'm really shocked at those numbers. Would have expected more like 50/50, at least.

Toub was recently quoted saying he'd never draft one, just bring in a couple UDFA and study their mental makeup.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Funkster
MVP

Here is his stats, not very impressive.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/25/new-b ... ody-parkey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Bearfacts
MVP

I'll just go on record as saying I'm not gonna be impressed by a guy who was 10/20/50% from 40-49 yards.

Of his 17 misses in college 11/65% came from 40 yards or beyond and his overall accuracy was just 75%.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Pace isn't going to solve this problem in January. Signing another kicker is good optics that at least SOMETHING is being done. Too bad that didn't happen earlier in the season. I think we had a great chance of playing in the Super Bowl had that situation been corrected. We had already beaten the Rams. The Saints didn't look that great to me. We played New England very tough and could've won the regular season game.

We need to get to the free agency period and see what the real options are. A Gould return would be great.

For me personally for the 2019 season, I'm still pissed as hell and I wish opening day was today. I don't give a shit what our schedule is and how hard it looks right now. We have the ability to get into the playoffs via winning the division at a minimum and I can't wait.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote:I'll just go on record as saying I'm not gonna be impressed by a guy who was 10/20/50% from 40-49 yards.

Of his 17 misses in college 11/65% came from 40 yards or beyond and his overall accuracy was just 75%.
Again, college stats mean almost nothing when it comes to kickers.

Here is a list of nfl kickers and their college %, the article I was looking at had an average gain of 7.7% over college but there are a few who dropped.

Player College % NFL %
Gould 63.9 87.7
Folk 63.8 80.3
Walsh 73.8 82.4

Adam Vinatieri had a huge leg in college, but never knew where the ball was going to go. He actually lost his job kicking job at South Dakota State to a lineman at one point during his career there before regaining it and he turned into the most clutch kicker possibly ever as an UDFA.

The only draft pick kicker I remember really working out is Janikowski and his huge leg made up for a lot of misses as he is only at 80.4% for his career and I still don't think he was worth a 1st.

Dave Toub, the greatest statistical special teams coach ever, says never ever draft a kicker.
Funkster
MVP

Sounds like the colts are re-signing Adam Vinatieri. Mark him off the available FA kicker board.
docc
Head Coach

Vinatieri is good sign..and Colts don't have to worry about his injuries as he is on AARP Medicare..and AFLAC..
Bearfacts
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:I'll just go on record as saying I'm not gonna be impressed by a guy who was 10/20/50% from 40-49 yards.

Again, college stats mean almost nothing when it comes to kickers.

Here is a list of nfl kickers and their college %, the article I was looking at had an average gain of 7.7% over college but there are a few who dropped.

Player College % NFL %
Gould 63.9 87.7
Folk 63.8 80.3
Walsh 73.8 82.4

Adam Vinatieri had a huge leg in college, but never knew where the ball was going to go. He actually lost his job kicking job at South Dakota State to a lineman at one point during his career there before regaining it and he turned into the most clutch kicker possibly ever as an UDFA.

The only draft pick kicker I remember really working out is Janikowski and his huge leg made up for a lot of misses as he is only at 80.4% for his career and I still don't think he was worth a 1st.

Dave Toub, the greatest statistical special teams coach ever, says never ever draft a kicker.
Nonetheless, I'm gonna remain skeptical 'til he either proves me right or proves me wrong.

I also don't expect he'll be the only leg we look at this offseason.