View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:55 pm 
Hall of Famer

Gable seems interesting as fuck... Last time we signed someone the Patriots gave a tryout to but let walk was Robbie Gould... Just saying!

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:08 pm 
Mod

dplank wrote:
I just don't know how much better any of these retreads will be vs the year Parkey just had. Yea, he was awful, but these guys were so bad they weren't even employed.

I want Robbie Gould and I don't care about the cap implications of that. We're a super bowl contender next year, and odds are a big kick will be required along that path to glory.

Robbie Gould was also unemployed and working construction when the Bears signed him. I wouldn't say he was unemployed because he was bad.

There's only one roster spot for a kicker so teams rarely ever keep an extra one around or stash one on the practice squad. It's not a position that you invest in and develop a guy, so a lot of guys who might be otherwise successful on a team just don't get an opportunity. That's why some of the better kickers are ones who had previously never been on a roster and have bounced around various camps and preseasons.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:23 pm 
MVP

Give me a hungry guy vs a Blair Walsh head case. We already have him on the roster.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:41 pm 
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:
Give me a hungry guy vs a Blair Walsh head case. We already have him on the roster.

Exactly, we know who Walsh and Folk are, no thanks. If it’s not Gould then I would much rather see a young buck get a shot rather than some old retread that’s going to fall apart when the heat is on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:56 pm 
Journeyman

I'm for drafting somebody. It keeps the $$ low while we eat the Parkey contract. Right now I'm rooting for Matt Gay out of Utah.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:03 pm 
Player of the Month

As much as many value bringing Robbie Gould back news out of SF is they badly want to re-sign him.

I don't believe Pace wants or can afford a bidding war that could make Robbie one of the highest paid PKs in the NFL not that he doesn't deserve it. But the net impact of eating the balance of Parkey's cap hit added to what Gould may cost is probably more than we can afford given other UFAs of our own we need to corral. JMHO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Per multiple sources, K Redford Jones signs with the Bears. First of many Ks Pace signs this offseason I'm sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhsrC9W_Ots

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:26 pm 
MVP

Meh. 3 years at Tulsa:

17/25 - 68%
21/26 - 81%
12/16 - 75%

Total is 75%. Small sample size that last year. I’ll settle for being happy that we’re bringing in competition. I’ll assume he answered that he doesn’t mind dealing with a little traffic to practice kicks at Soldier Field. Stupid friggin Cody Parkey.

Edit: then again I just looked and Gould only made 64% of his college kicks. So who knows.

Last edited by BR0D1E86 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:35 pm 
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Meh. 3 years at Tulsa:

17/25 - 68%
21/26 - 81%
12/16 - 75%

Total is 75%. Small sample size that last year. I’ll settle for being happy that we’re bringing in competition. I’ll assume he answered that he doesn’t mind dealing with a little traffic to practice kicks at Soldier Field. Stupid friggin Cody Parkey.

College stats really mean very little in predicting kickers. Vinatieri got benched in college for a lineman to kick he was so inconsistent. Robbie Gould was 63% in college.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

UOK wrote:
dplank wrote:
I just don't know how much better any of these retreads will be vs the year Parkey just had. Yea, he was awful, but these guys were so bad they weren't even employed.

I want Robbie Gould and I don't care about the cap implications of that. We're a super bowl contender next year, and odds are a big kick will be required along that path to glory.

Relevant:

CEmma670
56s
Teams can only work out players who were not rostered at season's end, so the Bears are getting a look at kickers presently eligible. Their kicking options aren't at all limited to this group.

Bumping for posterity

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next