View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:57 pm 
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Since 2010, there are TWO kickers in the NFL that were drafted & stayed with their original team past year 1.

- Jason Sanders
- Greg Zuerlein

There have been 13 kickers who have not.

Meaning, even if the #Bears draft a K, there’s a (13%) chance it works...

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:07 pm 
Crafty Veteran

Great college kickers tend to not do so well in the pros for some odd reason. Latest example was Aguayo, who the Bucs traded UP for in the 2nd round. Absolute stupidity IMO to spend high draft choices on college kickers. I can't remember the last one that actually panned out. Someone pointed to Zuerlein being one of the only ones drafted to be on their original team. He was a 6th rounder back in 2012. I wouldn't spend anything more than a 7th round pick on a Kicker and that's being generous. There are far more UDFA's that have panned out than FA and the draft. You can find reliable kickers off the street or guys out of work, you just have to dig a little deeper.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:24 pm 
MVP

G08 wrote:
Quote:
Since 2010, there are TWO kickers in the NFL that were drafted & stayed with their original team past year 1.

- Jason Sanders
- Greg Zuerlein

There have been 13 kickers who have not.

Meaning, even if the #Bears draft a K, there’s a (13%) chance it works...

Interesting.
I'm really shocked at those numbers. Would have expected more like 50/50, at least.

Toub was recently quoted saying he'd never draft one, just bring in a couple UDFA and study their mental makeup.

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:33 pm 
MVP

Here is his stats, not very impressive.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/25/new-b ... ody-parkey

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:58 am 
Player of the Month

I'll just go on record as saying I'm not gonna be impressed by a guy who was 10/20/50% from 40-49 yards.

Of his 17 misses in college 11/65% came from 40 yards or beyond and his overall accuracy was just 75%.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:43 am 
MVP

Pace isn't going to solve this problem in January. Signing another kicker is good optics that at least SOMETHING is being done. Too bad that didn't happen earlier in the season. I think we had a great chance of playing in the Super Bowl had that situation been corrected. We had already beaten the Rams. The Saints didn't look that great to me. We played New England very tough and could've won the regular season game.

We need to get to the free agency period and see what the real options are. A Gould return would be great.

For me personally for the 2019 season, I'm still pissed as hell and I wish opening day was today. I don't give a shit what our schedule is and how hard it looks right now. We have the ability to get into the playoffs via winning the division at a minimum and I can't wait.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 pm 
MVP

Bearfacts wrote:
I'll just go on record as saying I'm not gonna be impressed by a guy who was 10/20/50% from 40-49 yards.

Of his 17 misses in college 11/65% came from 40 yards or beyond and his overall accuracy was just 75%.

Again, college stats mean almost nothing when it comes to kickers.

Here is a list of nfl kickers and their college %, the article I was looking at had an average gain of 7.7% over college but there are a few who dropped.

Player College % NFL %
Gould 63.9 87.7
Folk 63.8 80.3
Walsh 73.8 82.4

Adam Vinatieri had a huge leg in college, but never knew where the ball was going to go. He actually lost his job kicking job at South Dakota State to a lineman at one point during his career there before regaining it and he turned into the most clutch kicker possibly ever as an UDFA.

The only draft pick kicker I remember really working out is Janikowski and his huge leg made up for a lot of misses as he is only at 80.4% for his career and I still don't think he was worth a 1st.

Dave Toub, the greatest statistical special teams coach ever, says never ever draft a kicker.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:49 pm 
MVP

Sounds like the colts are re-signing Adam Vinatieri. Mark him off the available FA kicker board.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:40 pm 
Head Coach

Vinatieri is good sign..and Colts don't have to worry about his injuries as he is on AARP Medicare..and AFLAC..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:00 pm 
Player of the Month

southdakbearfan wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:

Again, college stats mean almost nothing when it comes to kickers.

Here is a list of nfl kickers and their college %, the article I was looking at had an average gain of 7.7% over college but there are a few who dropped.

Player College % NFL %
Gould 63.9 87.7
Folk 63.8 80.3
Walsh 73.8 82.4

Adam Vinatieri had a huge leg in college, but never knew where the ball was going to go. He actually lost his job kicking job at South Dakota State to a lineman at one point during his career there before regaining it and he turned into the most clutch kicker possibly ever as an UDFA.

The only draft pick kicker I remember really working out is Janikowski and his huge leg made up for a lot of misses as he is only at 80.4% for his career and I still don't think he was worth a 1st.

Dave Toub, the greatest statistical special teams coach ever, says never ever draft a kicker.

Nonetheless, I'm gonna remain skeptical 'til he either proves me right or proves me wrong.

I also don't expect he'll be the only leg we look at this offseason.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next