Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:57 pm

Since 2010, there are TWO kickers in the NFL that were drafted & stayed with their original team past year 1.

- Jason Sanders
- Greg Zuerlein

There have been 13 kickers who have not.

Meaning, even if the #Bears draft a K, there’s a (13%) chance it works...
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:07 pm

Great college kickers tend to not do so well in the pros for some odd reason. Latest example was Aguayo, who the Bucs traded UP for in the 2nd round. Absolute stupidity IMO to spend high draft choices on college kickers. I can't remember the last one that actually panned out. Someone pointed to Zuerlein being one of the only ones drafted to be on their original team. He was a 6th rounder back in 2012. I wouldn't spend anything more than a 7th round pick on a Kicker and that's being generous. There are far more UDFA's that have panned out than FA and the draft. You can find reliable kickers off the street or guys out of work, you just have to dig a little deeper.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
Moriarty
MVP
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:24 pm

G08 wrote:
Since 2010, there are TWO kickers in the NFL that were drafted & stayed with their original team past year 1.

- Jason Sanders
- Greg Zuerlein

There have been 13 kickers who have not.

Meaning, even if the #Bears draft a K, there’s a (13%) chance it works...
Interesting.
I'm really shocked at those numbers. Would have expected more like 50/50, at least.

Toub was recently quoted saying he'd never draft one, just bring in a couple UDFA and study their mental makeup.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
User avatar
Funkster
MVP
Posts: 1818
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:33 pm

Here is his stats, not very impressive.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/25/new-b ... ody-parkey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
User avatar
Bearfacts
Pro Bowler
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 am

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:58 am

I'll just go on record as saying I'm not gonna be impressed by a guy who was 10/20/50% from 40-49 yards.

Of his 17 misses in college 11/65% came from 40 yards or beyond and his overall accuracy was just 75%.
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
MVP
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:43 am

Pace isn't going to solve this problem in January. Signing another kicker is good optics that at least SOMETHING is being done. Too bad that didn't happen earlier in the season. I think we had a great chance of playing in the Super Bowl had that situation been corrected. We had already beaten the Rams. The Saints didn't look that great to me. We played New England very tough and could've won the regular season game.

We need to get to the free agency period and see what the real options are. A Gould return would be great.

For me personally for the 2019 season, I'm still pissed as hell and I wish opening day was today. I don't give a shit what our schedule is and how hard it looks right now. We have the ability to get into the playoffs via winning the division at a minimum and I can't wait.
Image
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2050
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 pm

Bearfacts wrote:I'll just go on record as saying I'm not gonna be impressed by a guy who was 10/20/50% from 40-49 yards.

Of his 17 misses in college 11/65% came from 40 yards or beyond and his overall accuracy was just 75%.
Again, college stats mean almost nothing when it comes to kickers.

Here is a list of nfl kickers and their college %, the article I was looking at had an average gain of 7.7% over college but there are a few who dropped.

Player College % NFL %
Gould 63.9 87.7
Folk 63.8 80.3
Walsh 73.8 82.4

Adam Vinatieri had a huge leg in college, but never knew where the ball was going to go. He actually lost his job kicking job at South Dakota State to a lineman at one point during his career there before regaining it and he turned into the most clutch kicker possibly ever as an UDFA.

The only draft pick kicker I remember really working out is Janikowski and his huge leg made up for a lot of misses as he is only at 80.4% for his career and I still don't think he was worth a 1st.

Dave Toub, the greatest statistical special teams coach ever, says never ever draft a kicker.
User avatar
Funkster
MVP
Posts: 1818
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:49 pm

Sounds like the colts are re-signing Adam Vinatieri. Mark him off the available FA kicker board.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
User avatar
docc
Head Coach
Location: Dry Heat
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:40 pm

Vinatieri is good sign..and Colts don't have to worry about his injuries as he is on AARP Medicare..and AFLAC..
User avatar
Bearfacts
Pro Bowler
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 am

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:00 pm

southdakbearfan wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:I'll just go on record as saying I'm not gonna be impressed by a guy who was 10/20/50% from 40-49 yards.

Of his 17 misses in college 11/65% came from 40 yards or beyond and his overall accuracy was just 75%.
Again, college stats mean almost nothing when it comes to kickers.

Here is a list of nfl kickers and their college %, the article I was looking at had an average gain of 7.7% over college but there are a few who dropped.

Player College % NFL %
Gould 63.9 87.7
Folk 63.8 80.3
Walsh 73.8 82.4

Adam Vinatieri had a huge leg in college, but never knew where the ball was going to go. He actually lost his job kicking job at South Dakota State to a lineman at one point during his career there before regaining it and he turned into the most clutch kicker possibly ever as an UDFA.

The only draft pick kicker I remember really working out is Janikowski and his huge leg made up for a lot of misses as he is only at 80.4% for his career and I still don't think he was worth a 1st.

Dave Toub, the greatest statistical special teams coach ever, says never ever draft a kicker.
Nonetheless, I'm gonna remain skeptical 'til he either proves me right or proves me wrong.

I also don't expect he'll be the only leg we look at this offseason.
User avatar
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:23 pm

I'm with Dakota, I think this kid COULD wind-up being our guy. I certainly can't rule it out.

Gould at Penn State: 39 for 61 (63.9%) on FG's - 115 for 121 on PAT's (95%)

Jones at Tulsa: 50 for 67 (74.6%) on FG's - 169 for 172 on PAT's (98.3%)

A little work with Jones and pulling those hashes closer to the middle? I don't think it's anywhere near out of the realm to say that the kid has hope for a good career. No? 
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2050
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:26 pm

Richie wrote:I'm with Dakota, I think this kid COULD wind-up being our guy. I certainly can't rule it out.

Gould at Penn State: 39 for 61 (63.9%) on FG's - 115 for 121 on PAT's (95%)

Jones at Tulsa: 50 for 67 (74.6%) on FG's - 169 for 172 on PAT's (98.3%)

A little work with Jones and pulling those hashes closer to the middle? I don't think it's anywhere near out of the realm to say that the kid has hope for a good career. No? 
It definitely is not out of the realm of possibility. Who knows with kickers.

Keep running UDFA's through until one sticks. I would never draft one.
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Richie wrote:I'm with Dakota, I think this kid COULD wind-up being our guy. I certainly can't rule it out.

Gould at Penn State: 39 for 61 (63.9%) on FG's - 115 for 121 on PAT's (95%)

Jones at Tulsa: 50 for 67 (74.6%) on FG's - 169 for 172 on PAT's (98.3%)

A little work with Jones and pulling those hashes closer to the middle? I don't think it's anywhere near out of the realm to say that the kid has hope for a good career. No? 
It’s possible. Who knows with kickers? I just hope they bring a few more in and let them battle it out. We need nice competition.
User avatar
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:24 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Richie wrote:I'm with Dakota, I think this kid COULD wind-up being our guy. I certainly can't rule it out.

Gould at Penn State: 39 for 61 (63.9%) on FG's - 115 for 121 on PAT's (95%)

Jones at Tulsa: 50 for 67 (74.6%) on FG's - 169 for 172 on PAT's (98.3%)

A little work with Jones and pulling those hashes closer to the middle? I don't think it's anywhere near out of the realm to say that the kid has hope for a good career. No? 
It’s possible. Who knows with kickers? I just hope they bring a few more in and let them battle it out. We need nice competition.
Agreed 100% my man
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:14 pm

So apparently this dude has put on 15 lbs of "position-related muscle", changed his mechanics and I guess altered his footwear to give him what they've determined to be his optimal performance as a kicker. He's been working with John Carney:

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... l-history/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
Journeyman
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:38 pm

Gould kicked at Penn State which I would imagine can mess up your accuracy % kicking in those conditions. I remember reading that Belicheat was attempting to stash him for a year working construction with his dad and was pissed when the Bears signed him. I think they had an agreement of sorts, but the Bears showed him the money. I'm hoping this Jones kid works out. You can't have a better guy in your corner than Carney.
Image
User avatar
BearButtseks
Assistant Coach
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:39 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:47 pm

Matt Bryant just got released. Even if they can't come to a deal with Gould, you have to think they'll have an upgrade at this position going into the next year.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2050
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:00 pm

I wouldn’t t be against it except you are probably looking for a kicker again in a season or two due to his age being 43+
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:51 pm

BearButtseks wrote:Matt Bryant just got released. Even if they can't come to a deal with Gould, you have to think they'll have an upgrade at this position going into the next year.
83.7% career kicker outdoors
89.4% career kicker in a dome

I'm honestly good with Jones and one or two UDFAs battling it out.
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19507
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:04 pm

These current Bears are not the team that signs a 43 year old kicker.
User avatar
BearButtseks
Assistant Coach
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:39 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:07 pm

G08 wrote:
BearButtseks wrote:Matt Bryant just got released. Even if they can't come to a deal with Gould, you have to think they'll have an upgrade at this position going into the next year.
83.7% career kicker outdoors
89.4% career kicker in a dome

I'm honestly good with Jones and one or two UDFAs battling it out.
I was wondering about the indoor/outdoor split - doesn't seem like he would be a great fit between that and his age.

I didn't necessarily mean that I thought the Bears would sign him, but having more veteran options on the table is always a good thing, and I think bodes well for the Bears in terms of being able to get a quality replacement. I guess you could look at the flip side and say that you've added another team in need of a K to the list, but I bet some of them go the draft route whereas I doubt we're willing to spend draft capital to address the position considering the lack of picks we have.
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
Journeyman
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:43 pm

I want the kicker with the fewest "Most Honorable Player" awards.
Image
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14522
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 am

I don't think a kicker who had most of his success indoors is a good fit for the Bears, so I would say no to someone like Bryant

I'm still trying to figure out why Parkey was such a highly sought free agent ... you look at his stats and it doesn't jump out he was anything special when the Bears signed him ... and now of course he is even less special

so maybe someone will establish himself at the Bears kicking carousel they will likely be having in training camp
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19507
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:31 am

Boris13c wrote:I don't think a kicker who had most of his success indoors is a good fit for the Bears, so I would say no to someone like Bryant

I'm still trying to figure out why Parkey was such a highly sought free agent ... you look at his stats and it doesn't jump out he was anything special when the Bears signed him ... and now of course he is even less special

so maybe someone will establish himself at the Bears kicking carousel they will likely be having in training camp
Parkey was a pro bowl kicker as a rookie. Then he got hurt, missed a year, rehabbed in Cleveland, and was on the uptick in Miami. He was a pure potential signing, but he was a bust.
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3060
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:25 am

wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I don't think a kicker who had most of his success indoors is a good fit for the Bears, so I would say no to someone like Bryant

I'm still trying to figure out why Parkey was such a highly sought free agent ... you look at his stats and it doesn't jump out he was anything special when the Bears signed him ... and now of course he is even less special

so maybe someone will establish himself at the Bears kicking carousel they will likely be having in training camp
Parkey was a pro bowl kicker as a rookie. Then he got hurt, missed a year, rehabbed in Cleveland, and was on the uptick in Miami. He was a pure potential signing, but he was a bust.
And when Pace makes up his mind to attack a problem, he swings for the fence. In his mind, Parkey looked like an arrow pointing upward guy and he took the big swing. Sometimes, you miss.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:44 pm

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I don't think a kicker who had most of his success indoors is a good fit for the Bears, so I would say no to someone like Bryant

I'm still trying to figure out why Parkey was such a highly sought free agent ... you look at his stats and it doesn't jump out he was anything special when the Bears signed him ... and now of course he is even less special

so maybe someone will establish himself at the Bears kicking carousel they will likely be having in training camp
Parkey was a pro bowl kicker as a rookie. Then he got hurt, missed a year, rehabbed in Cleveland, and was on the uptick in Miami. He was a pure potential signing, but he was a bust.
And when Pace makes up his mind to attack a problem, he swings for the fence. In his mind, Parkey looked like an arrow pointing upward guy and he took the big swing. Sometimes, you miss.
I partially blame Tabor for this move as well, all accounts is that he vouched for Parkey having worked with him in Cleveland.

This is a big whiff by Pace, mostly for me in the $$$ department.
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
Bearfacts
Pro Bowler
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 am

Re: Update: Bears sign K Redford Jones

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:24 am

We'll see soon enough but getting lessons from a guy who made 83% of his FGs kicking in a domed stadium doesn't impress me either.

But we have to start somewhere so it might as well be with Jones. He won the tryout battle.

Return to “Halas Hall”