View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Search for:
 Post subject: Re: Amos or Callahan?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 am 
Journeyman

Callahan was arguably our best cover guy, Fuller included. This is a no brainer for me, keep Callahan. SS is an easy replacement, and we already have Bush ready to go.

To whoever thinks NB is an easy replace, just listing guys who ran the nickle before doesn't mean they were any good at it. Callahan was one of the best in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:45 am 
MVP

I would rather have Callahan than Kyle Long. Not saying Callahan should be paid $8M / year or so, but my point is that solidifying the defensive side of the ball should be the priority. We can draft an OG. We're also gonna need to figure out how to pay Eddie Jackson coming up in a couple years. That's the Dion Sims money right there. Eddie Jackson should not even be allowed to go near free agency. Our defense is such a team effort which says a lot given that we have individual stars like Mack and Hicks, but Jackson is the key to that whole secondary.

If I can only keep one I keep Callahan. Playing alongside Eddie Jackson will make the other safety better.

I'm not too concerned about Amos. We can move Bush up and draft a guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:53 am 
Mod

dplank wrote:
Callahan was arguably our best cover guy, Fuller included. This is a no brainer for me, keep Callahan. SS is an easy replacement, and we already have Bush ready to go.

To whoever thinks NB is an easy replace, just listing guys who ran the nickle before doesn't mean they were any good at it. Callahan was one of the best in the league.

4 picks in 4 years and injured every year. Callahan is a nice player, but those other guys were successful.

Hardly ANY of those safeties were back there for more than a year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:22 pm 
Player of the Month

Another indication Callahan's bargaining position may be strengthened. PFF ranks him as the 2nd best UFA CB.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/ ... all-focus/

As for McManis I would consider him as a potential fallback solution for 2019 if Callahan can't be re-signed or replaced by a younger player but McManis is 31 years old, not quite as good, and surely not a long term solution.

So without Callahan we're either gonna be drafting for a Slot CB or looking for a cheaper vet UFA. I'm gonna rule Tolliver out because I see him strictly as an edge guy without the physical tools or savvy to play Slot CB. JMHO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:59 pm 
Journeyman

I like McManis, he's a good guy to have on your team. He's kinda like Bellamy to me, good ST player, can plug in if needed and do a decent job, and has a high motor/excellent work ethic.

That said, McManis is a backup calibre player. We should not settle for him in a starting role (NB is a starting role in the modern NFL).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:06 pm 
Mod

Except he proved he could hold down the nickle job just fine...

Granted, he's not a long term solution at 31 years old. But if he can hold down the job for a year while John Franklin or Micheal Joseph or Jonathan Mincy or Marcus Williams or a rookie develops... then I'd rather pay him the 1.6 million he's due next year to do it over paying him that plus the 3-4 million for Callahan to do it for maybe 9 games before getting hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:08 pm 
MVP

wab wrote:
dplank wrote:

4 picks in 4 years and injured every year. Callahan is a nice player, but those other guys were successful.

Interceptions are not a tell all for DB’s. Callahan can simple lock down slot receivers. This is huge for how much the bears were in the nickel. You do have a point about how frequent he is injured. I see that as a bargaining point for Pace. If you watch film on McManis he is the weakest link (without a doubt) when he’s on the field, his hips are stiff and he is beat more times than not. He did fill in nicely but I don’t think he is a week in and week out starter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:20 pm 
MVP

Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:
dplank wrote:

Interceptions are not a tell all for DB’s. Callahan can simple lock down slot receivers. This is huge for how much the bears were in the nickel. You do have a point about how frequent he is injured. I see that as a bargaining point for Pace. If you watch film on McManis he is the weakest link (without a doubt) when he’s on the field, his hips are stiff and he is beat more times than not. He did fill in nicely but I don’t think he is a week in and week out starter.

But they actually allowed a lower success rate on passes with Callahan out vs him being in?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:42 am 
Player of the Month

Just a little more data as food for thought.

FWIW Spotrac pegs the overall value of a Callahan deal @ $28 mil over 4 years/$7 mil apy.

Despite his injuries he's highly rated as an effective playmaker and this isn't far off what I estimated either.

I've looked over some of the vet UFA CBs and to be honest I don't see anyone even near Callahan's skill level as a Slot CB who'll be getting any less so Pace may have a tough decision to make here. $7 mil may well be his market value just as $14 mil was Fullers.

In this case what I'd offer is a smaller signing bonus with a significant amount of guaranteed money based on per game roster bonuses and incentive bonuses like a Pro Bowl. The per game bonuses help two ways. The first is a hedge against Callahan's lost starts and the second is a portion will need to be earned and not charged to his 2019 cap lowering that.

On top of all of this we're probably looking at Amos looking for similar kind of money.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:59 am 
Pro Bowler

we gota keep Smash... He makes plays. He breaks people. And he's never missed a game right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next