Crunching The Numbers-Cap Space

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

We start with $5,918,000.
Cut Sims and we add 6 mil = $11,918,601
Extend Trevathan 2 years, convert 2019 salary and roster bonus to signing bonus gives him a $2,820,000 cap
we're up to $16,748,601
Cutting Chase Daniel adds $3,000,000
Cutting Parkey subtracts $1,125,000
Cutting Sam Acho adds $2,125,000
Cutting Kwiatkowski adds $2,025,000

Potential cap = $22,773,601

I personally don't see an easy contract to extend other than these after looking the last few days. That likely leaves us with a late round rookie as our primary backup QB.
Jordan Howard adds too much value now that Hunt is out of the picture, though trading him gives us another $2,045,000 if we think the draft pick value is greater than can be turned down.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

With 20+ mil, I place the transition tag on Amos to see if that scares people away from trying to sign him away unless he agrees to a contract before that.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Daniel isn't getting cut. Neither is Kawasaki.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:With 20+ mil, I place the transition tag on Amos to see if that scares people away from trying to sign him away unless he agrees to a contract before that.
That's probably a good call. If you use the TT you can keep him another year on a prove it deal, before you try to sign him longer term, or see what you have in younger talent.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

I saw an article recently, I think by Brad Biggs, which suggested we could add up to $11M to our available cap by converting some of Mack's salary into a signing bonus.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:Daniel isn't getting cut. Neither is Kawasaki.
If there's talent on a rookie deal contract that can replace them...they gone. Not even a question.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
If there's talent on a rookie deal contract that can replace them...they gone. Not even a question.
One thought...if you want to suggest that we keep Kwiatkowski and cut Trevathan, that would be an interesting debate topic to start the off season.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:I saw an article recently, I think by Brad Biggs, which suggested we could add up to $11M to our available cap by converting some of Mack's salary into a signing bonus.
win win if true.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Mr.Irrelevant wrote:I saw an article recently, I think by Brad Biggs, which suggested we could add up to $11M to our available cap by converting some of Mack's salary into a signing bonus.
win win if true.
It all comes due sometime. If you do that then you are chasing the cap again when guys like Trubisky, whitehair, Cohen and others come due.

It’s a tool if needed to do something this season but it could bite you in the rear later.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
win win if true.
It all comes due sometime. If you do that then you are chasing the cap again when guys like Trubisky, whitehair, Cohen and others come due.

It’s a tool if needed to do something this season but it could bite you in the rear later.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Not with Daniel. He was signed for the express purpose of helping Mitch learn the Nagy offense. Daniel learned it in KC while he was there. For Daniel it has nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with Mitch.
Buffaloaf
Rookie

I hope you are right on Daniel - he's worth his 6M in my opinion. He's still a mentor for Mitch and he went 1-1 as the starter. He didn't play a good game against the Giants, but hell, it was still nearly enough to win the game (which is much more than what we can say about our backup QBs in the past). Both games he played in were away games, too.

Plus, you aren't going to get anything much better and/or cheaper than him in FA. There are some intriguing names out there (Fitzpatrick, Bridgewater, or Taylor), but they'll all likely want to be paid as much or better than him. I don't think we're quite ready to draft a QB to be the backup for Mitch. Hopefully by the end of Daniel's contract, Mitch will be ready to be the mentor.

This team is too good to not have a decent backup at QB.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Buffaloaf wrote:
I hope you are right on Daniel - he's worth his 6M in my opinion. He's still a mentor for Mitch and he went 1-1 as the starter. He didn't play a good game against the Giants, but hell, it was still nearly enough to win the game (which is much more than what we can say about our backup QBs in the past). Both games he played in were away games, too.

Plus, you aren't going to get anything much better and/or cheaper than him in FA. There are some intriguing names out there (Fitzpatrick, Bridgewater, or Taylor), but they'll all likely want to be paid as much or better than him. I don't think we're quite ready to draft a QB to be the backup for Mitch. Hopefully by the end of Daniel's contract, Mitch will be ready to be the mentor.

This team is too good to not have a decent backup at QB.
Agreed.

No way a rookie late round pick is better nor can handle the offense if biscuits were to go down.

While daniels has tons of time experience and experience with the offense it's not like he had a lot of game time experience so he was learning a bit as well. I think he is extremely valuable for at least one more season, if not a couple more after that at a cheaper amount.
sturf
Journeyman

Since the CBA limits time spent with coaches Daniel is still necessary next season. I also saw that when Daniel is standing on the sidelines during the game he is in constant communication with Nagy giving feedback. He's still the person on that team that knows the offense the best outside of Nagy. Maybe after 2019 the Bears can start thinking about drafting a backup QB.
Bearfacts
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
One thought...if you want to suggest that we keep Kwiatkowski and cut Trevathan, that would be an interesting debate topic to start the off season.
OK, I start that debate by saying Trevathan is more likely to get a short extension than be released.

As far as Kwiatkoski goes I also doubt he'll be released prior to FA or the draft. He's currently our #3 ILB. None of his 2019 salary is guaranteed so if by chance we do find a rookie replacement he can always be released or traded this summer. But since we aren't prioritizing ILBs in FA or the draft odds of that happening aren't that great.

IMHO Kwiatkoski and Iggy will still be our backup ILBs in 2019.
cblaz11
MVP

Daniels is here to stay through 2019, after that I can see him being gone.

I think we’re overreacting a bit with our cap...the only starters we don’t have returning as of now is FB, SS, and slot corner...Also, we don’t have a first or 2nd rd pick to pay.

Let’s just assume Callahan and Amos are gone, I’m confident in Bush and McManus.

Let’s use the draft and cap money to deepen this team at WR, Oline, and all areas of the defense.