Biggs: Kyle Long restructures contract

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@BradBiggs
2m
#Bears RG Kyle Long has agreed to a restructured contract that will create some cap room and ensure he's with the team in 2019. He was due to count $8.5M vs. cap this year. Team player will be back.
wab
Mod

This is good news.
ursamagnus
Practice Squad

Great news. One of those necessary moves we needed to make before Free Agency to give some more room to maneuver.
Umbali
MVP

Glad to hear. Kyle is a stud who keeps getting freaky injuries. Hope he can stay healthy and be a longtime Bear! :))
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Glad to hear.

If he could just stay healthy, he would be a perennial All Pro. His attitude, spirit and effort are always there. And then some freaky shit happens to his body to derail his season.

Everyone needs to take some time this off season to burn some incense and pray to whoever you deem necessary on his behalf that his physical distress is behind him.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:This is good news.
This is good news...and we're all really smart.

I think a lot of us said that he would probably do this.
Z Bear
MVP

After all the crap years he has been through with us he damned sure deserves to be here for the good years. Well done Bears!
WagonForce
MVP

I really didn't think he would restructure.

Long's level of loyalty to the franchise that drafted him is something that doesn't really happen anymore in the modern NFL, and it's one of the many reasons I'm a fan of his. This last point isn't meant to be taken as a criticism of players that want to maximize their earnings which is something I support, it just sets #75 apart from most of the league in my eyes.

I'm thrilled he's on the Bears and hopes he is with the team for a long time (and the rest of his career).
Funkster
MVP

Another move we all saw coming. Long has been a bear to the core, great teammate! I’m hoping he’s available for the entire season, he truly deserves to partake in a winning team for all he’s done over the years.

Potential next moves:
Acho-released
Trevathan-restructured
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote:Glad to hear. Kyle is a stud who keeps getting freaky injuries. Hope he can stay healthy and be a longtime Bear! :))
See above.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Long = team player. Says a lot about the guy. Thanks Long.
Bad Flanders
MVP

I always thought the guy was a reach in the first round, but if you find someone THIS loyal to a town and a team... there's just no doubt he was worth it over and over again.
G08
Hall of Famer

Awesome news, curious to see the numbers.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Good move for the team and for Long. I love his loyalty to the Bears, that is important for team morale to have some guys show that. Allows us to focus on some other areas of need in draft, opens up a bit of cap space too. I like everything about this news. The next player I'd like to see do a restructure with a couple years added in Trevathan.
Funkster
MVP

He is a team player but it also seems like he understand his situation as well, he’s made a lot of money (26M plus) in years he hasn’t played very much. I’m more so hoping for his sake he can stay healthy. From a production stand point, there wasn’t much of a drop off last season and that’s not saying anyone is better than him but more so speaks for the bears system and depth.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:He is a team player but it also seems like he understand his situation as well, he’s made a lot of money (26M plus) in years he hasn’t played very much. I’m more so hoping for his sake he can stay healthy. From a production stand point, there wasn’t much of a drop off last season and that’s not saying anyone is better than him but more so speaks for the bears system and depth.
As far as pass blocking goes, I think our very agile and mobile QB makes up for some of the backups having to play at times. As far as the running game goes, there was a significant drop off on successful inside runs to the right side when he was out.

Glad to have him and hope he stays healthy this coming season.
Bearfacts
MVP

WagonForce wrote:I really didn't think he would restructure.

Long's level of loyalty to the franchise that drafted him is something that doesn't really happen anymore in the modern NFL, and it's one of the many reasons I'm a fan of his. This last point isn't meant to be taken as a criticism of players that want to maximize their earnings which is something I support, it just sets #75 apart from most of the league in my eyes.

I'm thrilled he's on the Bears and hopes he is with the team for a long time (and the rest of his career).
I believe his attitude, his leadership, and his loyalty are why he'd still be around.

I keep reading "he's not the player he once was" but who knows if that's true or not. He spent two offseasons recovering from injuries and surgery which had to have impacted his conditioning and preparation.

Now, if we can get our own guys to stop injuring him and with an offseason where he is 100% healthy and can stay in football condition let's see what we have in him this fall. Even at 80%-90% he's still a stud OL.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Awesome news, curious to see the numbers.
This!
WagonForce wrote:I really didn't think he would restructure.

I'm also surprised in general as it doesn't happen that often but really glad that all parties have seen sense. Kyle was down to make $6.9m this year and it would have cost us (dead cap plus new salary) between $3.5m to replace him with a minimum player, $4.8 with a Sowell level player and god knows how much for anything better. This has to be better for both sides!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
UOK
Site Admin

@FieldYates

As part of Kyle Long’s restructured, Chicago created $2.9M in cap space, per source. Long agreed to drop his base salary to $2.5M with bonuses/incentives bringing his cap hit to $5.6M for 2019.

@RapSheet

The #Bears described Kyle Long’s restructure as a win-win and there is enough for both sides to like: He took $2.9M less in ’19 (was due $8.9M), but could make $2.5M of that back in incentives. Chicago turned 2020 into a team option & chopped off 2021 (back to the market quicker)
malk
Head Coach

UOK wrote:@FieldYates

As part of Kyle Long’s restructured, Chicago created $2.9M in cap space, per source. Long agreed to drop his base salary to $2.5M with bonuses/incentives bringing his cap hit to $5.6M for 2019.

@RapSheet

The #Bears described Kyle Long’s restructure as a win-win and there is enough for both sides to like: He took $2.9M less in ’19 (was due $8.9M), but could make $2.5M of that back in incentives. Chicago turned 2020 into a team option & chopped off 2021 (back to the market quicker)
Seems decent to me. Still salty we couldn't have done something similar (but more extreme) with McPhee.

Just because I'm always salty.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Bearfacts
MVP

UOK wrote:@FieldYates

@RapSheet

So it was a straight salary reduction with ULTBE bonuses or incentives that if earned would be charged against the 2020 cap. No extensions or new money but dumped the final year.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Not sure how this comes out as a win-win.

Kyle takes less money for this year (even after the incentives) and has no guarantees going forward. Yes, he'll be a free agent a year earlier, but before this change he was scheduled to make $8.8M in 2021. The only way he wins is if he can sign for more than that in 2021, a big IF for a 32 year old with his injury history. And even then with Trubisky's deal coming due it's doubtful that contract would be with the bears.
malk
Head Coach

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:Not sure how this comes out as a win-win.

Kyle takes less money for this year (even after the incentives) and has no guarantees going forward. Yes, he'll be a free agent a year earlier, but before this change he was scheduled to make $8.8M in 2021. The only way he wins is if he can sign for more than that in 2021, a big IF for a 32 year old with his injury history. And even then with Trubisky's deal coming due it's doubtful that contract would be with the bears.
It's a win win as he makes more than he would have done if cut.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

malk wrote:

Exactly, if he was cut he wasn't going to sign for more than the Vet minimum. This way he makes more and gets a chance to prove he can remain healthy and return to probowl form. The team gets more cap space and keeps an important veteran.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

malk wrote:

Your boss walks into your office and says, "Malk, we're going to fire you, or if you'd prefer we can cut your pay by 33%"

If you think taking the pay cut is a win, then I concede your point.
wab
Mod

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:
malk wrote:

Your boss walks into your office and says, "Malk, we're going to fire you, or if you'd prefer we can cut your pay by 33%"

If you think taking the pay cut is a win, then I concede your point.
If he'd already made the bulk of his money while getting a significant raise and still being absent for 25% of the duration of his employment.....then yeah that's a win.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: If he'd already made the bulk of his money while getting a significant raise and still being absent for 25% of the duration of his employment.....then yeah that's a win.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
malk
Head Coach

dplank wrote:
wab wrote: If he'd already made the bulk of his money while getting a significant raise and still being absent for 25% of the duration of his employment.....then yeah that's a win.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guys, this stalking... not cool.

UOK
Site Admin

@spotrac

Kyle Long agreed to a 1 year $4.1M fully GTD restructured contract w/ the #Bears that includes an $8.1M option for 2020. The move clears $2.9M of cap space for CHI this year.