Speculation: Bears asking after WR John Ross

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Yeah, he's not worth a 3rd. He's worth a conditional pick.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

No matter what you give for him in a trade, you're still going to have to pick up his first round salary. That's $2M this year and $2.7M in 2020. I don't think his production to date warrants that investment, and obviously the Bengals don't either.

If they cut him and we can get him on the cheap, sure. But not at that price.
dplank
Hall of Famer

2M is nothing for a WR, about as close to a minimum salary as you can find for a player with any upside potential at all, let alone a former high 1st round pick.

I don't know if he can turn it around or not, but he's interesting at that price.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

dplank wrote:2M is nothing for a WR, about as close to a minimum salary as you can find for a player with any upside potential at all, let alone a former high 1st round pick.

I don't know if he can turn it around or not, but he's interesting at that price.
The fact that the Bengals are willing to take a $4M cap hit for him NOT to be on their team may say something about his upside potential.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Sure, but your point about the contract cost was just a bad take IMO.

Josh Bellamy made 2M last year. That's bottom barrel salary cap cost for a WR. That doesn't mean I want Ross, I know very little about him. And I wouldn't trade any picks for him, so that kills it right there. But 2M salary shouldn't scare anyone away, that part is a non factor.
Funkster
MVP

dplank wrote:Sure, but your point about the contract cost was just a bad take IMO.

Josh Bellamy made 2M last year. That's bottom barrel salary cap cost for a WR. That doesn't mean I want Ross, I know very little about him. And I wouldn't trade any picks for him, so that kills it right there. But 2M salary shouldn't scare anyone away, that part is a non factor.

I feel contract cost is a very valid point. The bears already have 66 million wrapped up through 2020 in AR, Gabriel and Miller. Add in the cost and the trade value and this isn’t close to a necessity for the bears right now. Safety, nickel, edge depth and guard are positions of need. Again, every dime and draft pick should be spent filing holes, they’re in win now mode.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Bad Flanders
MVP

I think the point was that no matter what they are going to have a receiver on the roster making $2 million. What does it matter if it's Ross or someone else? So the 2 million is a wash.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The dude has 4.22 speed. Something that cannot be taught. Everything else can. They can take a flyer on him, pay very little, and have a ton of upside.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:The dude has 4.22 speed. Something that cannot be taught. Everything else can. They can take a flyer on him, pay very little, and have a ton of upside.
4.22 track speed. Of the top 10 - 40 times in combine history, 8 are complete busts, he would be the 9th.

40 time is the most overblown, overhyped, stupid metric they have. Now if they ran a 40 in full gear it might mean a little bit more.

And, I will go back once again to it doesn't really matter how freaking fast you can run if you are bad at football. He is bad at football at the nfl level. Him being on the market is akin to us having White on the market last season trying to recoup something from a blown pick.
Bearfacts
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:Guy is super fast, just not a real good receiver.
Kevin White "Lite" and just what we don't need another of at WR unless our prime reason for looking is as a KR in which case we may offer a 7th round conditional pick and no more. That would be my approach.
IotaNet
MVP

4 pages of discussion about ... John Ross?

We really are starved/bored this offseason! :lol:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
EricTighe
MVP

He is fast. That is all he brings to the table and we now know Nagy puts a premium on speed over everything else. That's why Mizzell got so much playing time.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Well...speed receiver bigger than Gabriel is on my Bears shopping list.

But Ross is kind of uninspiring and not that big.

Kick returner and/or replacement for Mizzell sounds a little more promising.

But can't see more than a 7th for this.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:4 pages of discussion about ... John Ross?

We really are starved/bored this offseason! :lol:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.