View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
 Post subject: Bears Cut Sam Acho
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:35 am 
Hall of Famer

Looks like Acho's run as a Bear is over. No big surprise.

They will save about $1.8M with the move.

Post subject: Re: Bears Cut Sam Acho
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:16 am 
Hall of Famer

the link for any interested :

Bears releasing LB Sam Acho after four seasons

BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Drag. I like Acho.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:11 am 
MVP

Lemming tweeted they are at 18 mill of cap space now. I wonder if they bring him back for less or move on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:42 am 
Hall of Famer

Great dude but this needed to happen.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:21 am 
Site Admin

southdakbearfan wrote:
Lemming tweeted they are at 18 mill of cap space now. I wonder if they bring him back for less or move on.

Think a few other beat writers suspected Bears will try and do just that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:44 am 
MVP

The bears have cut:
Acho
Parkey
Simms

None of these moves should surprise anyone. Acho and Simms we’re taking up too much cap for their production.

What will be harder to predict is will they continue to restructure players like Mack or Trevathan? What they do with those players might give us a look into how the team feels about next season. I’ve always thought Pace woukd work hard to retain both Callahan and Amos. I also don’t think it’s a stretch for the bears to at least explore Justin Houston, especially with Acho now gone and Lynch being a FA, it’s either ride with the young guns or fill depth with vets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:33 pm 
Mod

Funkster wrote:
The bears have cut:
Acho
Parkey
Simms

None of these moves should surprise anyone. Acho and Simms we’re taking up too much cap for their production.

What will be harder to predict is will they continue to restructure players like Mack or Trevathan? What they do with those players might give us a look into how the team feels about next season. I’ve always thought Pace woukd work hard to retain both Callahan and Amos. I also don’t think it’s a stretch for the bears to at least explore Justin Houston, especially with Acho now gone and Lynch being a FA, it’s either ride with the young guns or fill depth with vets.

My guess is that they give Trevathan a modest extension and convert some of Mack's salary into bonuses.

I'm starting to also think they are content to let Amos and Callahan walk and fill those positions with Bush/rookie CB.

The depth at OLB is a bit concerning. I do like Isaiah Irving, but Fitts didn't do much for me. I assume they would like to bring one of Lynch or Acho back (at a reduced salary).

If not one of those two, they do need a vet at that spot. Maybe a mid-tier player like Shaq Barrett or Markus Golden.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:50 pm 
MVP

I’m right there with you concerning Mack and Trevathan.

It does makes some sense to bring back Acho on the cheap but he really doesn’t bring anything to the defense. I would much rather keep Lynch but he’s going to come at a price. I’m very intrigued by Houston, I’m wondering what his price tag will be?

I don’t know about letting both Amos and Callahan walk, it’s not that easy to replicate their performance, especially Callahan. A top nickel is a must in today’s game and I think the bears could wrap up Callahan for a reasonable price. Maybe adding in another very effective pass rusher may allow the bears to let Amos walk? A great pass rush can make average DB’s look elite.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:58 pm 
Pro Bowler

My opinion on this is going to be followed up by a question.

I think they will restructure Mack and maybe Danny, however it will not be to keep Amos if they bidding goes too high. The safety market is so deep you can afford to wait and see and maybe even get him for less than you could any other year. My hope would be someone like Trey Flowers could be worked in if we didnt overspend trying to keep Amos and Callahan. Personally I think a slot cover guy is harder to find then a safety and even tho McMannis did good filling in I would still prefer Callahan.

Now my question is, when you look at a guy like Acho ( great guy , solid ST, etc but hardly a factor on defense, ) and honestly you look at someone like McMannis who is a good ST leader etc, do you think that with the way the NFL is changing the ST games , does that devalue the need to have these good gunners and cover guys and even return guys on ST? That in turn could make having good depth on offense and defense much more important.

What do you guys think