View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:57 pm 
Head Coach

They better have a pretty rock solid replacement plan if they trade him. And they better be darned sure that our OL can power block effectively--yet undemonstrated, IMO. Consider... We trade Howard and revert to power blocking that Nagy wants... only to find out we're not so good at it. That would look pretty bad.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:15 pm 
Pro Bowler

I hope we can get a late 3rd for him, but I expect a 4th. Best of luck to Howard if he is traded, I've liked him a lot as a Bear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:36 am 
Pro Bowler

Ideally the replacement would be in the draft, where you can then have a young player with a cheap contract for 4 or 5 years. Ive always liked Howard and I found it odd that even tho he obviously worked on his hands, they still didnt throw to him much this year. Personally I would have preferred adjusting the blocking scheme, however clearly at this stage I am willing to trust Nagy! If Nagy says go, then go you shall lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:43 am 
Hall of Famer

I am also in agreement that the Jets make the most sense for him .... get back to a more conventional offense where he gets his 25+ carries a game.

Sorry to see him go, but would be happy he goes somewhere he can be productive and happy.

BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:30 am 
Journeyman

Mikefive wrote:
They better have a pretty rock solid replacement plan if they trade him. And they better be darned sure that our OL can power block effectively--yet undemonstrated, IMO. Consider... We trade Howard and revert to power blocking that Nagy wants... only to find out we're not so good at it. That would look pretty bad.

Solid point. Our power blocking sucks. Howard usually had absolutely nowhere to run, always found it odd that people blamed Howard like he magically sucked after a few really good seasons for us. Basic eye test said we couldn't move people off the ball in a power scheme. Once we flipped the blocking scheme, Howard flourished again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:53 pm 
Crafty Veteran

Boris13c wrote:
I am also in agreement that the Jets make the most sense for him .... get back to a more conventional offense where he gets his 25+ carries a game.

Sorry to see him go, but would be happy he goes somewhere he can be productive and happy.

Jets or even the Ravens who just cut Alex Collins.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:03 pm 
Hall of Famer

Howard just didn't have the juice this offense values in running backs. I commented in the chat room nearly every game that he looked so incredibly slow, it was almost painful to watch.

Yes, he thrives in a zone blocking system but guys that's not what we're running. Why that is, schematically, I have no idea. Any offensive line buffs here that can explain why Nagy's offense prefers a man/power blocking scheme? Does it have to do with play action, etc? I do know that with zone blocking system you want to run that scheme every single play so it looks the same to the defense (think LA Rams and Shanahan's Denver Broncos). That's not what we're going for here, clearly.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:14 pm 
Player of the Month

There are videos on the NFL app where people are talking about trades with NO for Ingram or with Buffalo for McCoy. Cannot see the Bears doing either. Why would they go for a guy in the late twilight of his career? Even if he does fit Nagy's scheme better. No. Just no.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:51 am 
Pro Bowler

britbear wrote:
There are videos on the NFL app where people are talking about trades with NO for Ingram or with Buffalo for McCoy. Cannot see the Bears doing either. Why would they go for a guy in the late twilight of his career? Even if he does fit Nagy's scheme better. No. Just no.

The Shady trade makes some sense to me. He’s entering the last year of his contract. So if we like a back in this draft, we can get a young back, and get Shady for a year with no intention of resigning him. Meanwhile the draftee has a year to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:33 am 
MVP

alexwilkins wrote:
britbear wrote:

The Shady trade makes some sense to me. He’s entering the last year of his contract. So if we like a back in this draft, we can get a young back, and get Shady for a year with no intention of resigning him. Meanwhile the draftee has a year to learn.

I like that idea a lot.