View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:17 pm 
Hall of Famer

Thought I'd get this going... I've been looking at RBs lately and I think TJ Yeldon could be a sneaky signing. 25 years old (going on 26) and he was drafted high in the second round to the Jaguars. Very good player in the passing game but I don't care much for how upright he runs the ball (coachable?).

Taller/heavier/faster than Kareem Hunt, but does he have the same vision and power? I don't necessarily think so.

What do you think this kid will garner on the open market? I can't imagine too much...

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:06 am 
MVP

G08 wrote:
Thought I'd get this going... I've been looking at RBs lately and I think TJ Yeldon could be a sneaky signing. 25 years old (going on 26) and he was drafted high in the second round to the Jaguars. Very good player in the passing game but I don't care much for how upright he runs the ball (coachable?).

Taller/heavier/faster than Kareem Hunt, but does he have the same vision and power? I don't necessarily think so.

What do you think this kid will garner on the open market? I can't imagine too much...

Kind of a meh possibility IMO, but who knows as that offense has been a dumpster fire for the most part. I wouldn't mind him as a backup but definitely not a starter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:46 pm 
Pro Bowler

With only 4 days to go before FA and 2 before the legal tampering period it looks like Pace is gonna let both Amos and Callahan test the waters which also means has has a Plan A and a Plan B to replace them if necessary. Hard to believe Amos will see top dollar but I'm not as sure about Callahan.

If Pace plan to move on from Howard his best bet is to find his immediate vet replacement in FA then draft another to replace Mizzell and Cunningham. To me Tevin Coleman may be Plan A here and Spencer Ware Plan B. Coleman will be looking for a lot more than we can probably get Ware for.

I'm looking for him adding an OLB/Edge guy as well or possibly bringing Lynch back at his price.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:39 pm 
Player of the Month

At this point I’d prefer to let Howard play out his contract while drafting his replacement this year.

I’m really hoping we bring back Amos, Roy Rob, Bellamy, and O’Donnel.

Also, with most of our starters returning, I don’t see us being major players in free agency. I expect Pace to make more moves after the first waive of free agents sign.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:43 am 
MVP

Finally got a chance to watch some film on Yeldon. Here’s what I came away with.

Pros:
He’s a very one cut north/south runner. His vision is very good and makes good reeds. He runs over his toes and has good hip sink and balance. He’s also very explosive and has good top end speed to break off big yardage. He can get dirty inside or use his speed to get outside. He can work out of the gun in 10 personnel or with the QB undercenter in 22. He has good hands in the receiving game but appears to be used mostly on designed screens or as a check downs. He’s doesn’t seem to have a problem splitting reps, although I believe he would get more of a work load in Chicago over what he got in Jacksonville.

Cons:
Like I said above, I couldn’t find much film with him being an option lined up out wide. Seems like Nagy wants a back that has that versatility. Again, I couldn’t find much film in pass protection, so for me that’s a big question mark. For how much size he has, he doesn’t seek out contact, he will run to the sideline instead of trying to get those few more yards. Here’s my biggest con, he’s lazy with his ball control. He uses his entire body to juke and the ball regularly gets away from his body. I saw on 3 plays where he actually swam the defender with the ball hand. After I noticed this I looked up his fumble stats, which were surprisingly not that bad(I would have lost that bet). In 51 games he had 5 fumbles and lost 3. His ball control could go either way with more touches but I feel this is an area he needs work on.

Overall I think his age, size, speed and versatile talent is just what Nagy is looking for. I say sign him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:35 am 
Journeyman

Yeldon's an interesting option... Never really heard of him but watched some vids on him and he is an exciting back to watch. I like Sanders over him still but he has speed and is shifty enough he ran a 4.52 40 just a little slower than Sanders. He played for Alabama as well so he comes from a good coaching staff that produces good players for the NFL.

Ideally, I'd like the Bears to move up and get Sanders but depending on the price and other variables why not go after both? What's the price tag on Yeldon? Usually when Pace specifically says he's going to fix a position in the offseason he usually goes all out. He said RB and K are what he wants to fix this year.

Post subject: 2019 Free Agency Thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:00 pm 
MVP

Starting to see reports today that Amos might be one of the more highly valued safeties on the market.

And then there’s this...

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/status/1104762543216635904?s=20
https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/status/1104763863184994314?s=20

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:20 pm 
Pro Bowler

Ok so i " think" as we stand now we have 15 million in cap space. this is before we ask Mack to restructure if we do that at all.

So our 2 big FA are Callahan and Amos.

What do we do in FA? Try to sign them?

Maybe promote McMannis and then sign Landon? Hope for someone in the draft?

Of course we will address RB at some point because clearly as good as Howard is he doesnt meet what standard Nagy wants.

So who and where would you like to see our FA money go to?

I personally think Amos is easier to replace with the deep FA market for safetys right now.

I cant count the times that Callahan made big plays and made me do the happy dance. A lot of times big plays were a pass defended or someone covered perfectly that kept the other team from getting a first down. Not everything shows up in the box score .

I wouldnt be upset with both Callahan and Amos back.
Nor would I be upset with Landon and Callahan.

I am a tiny bit curious how a straight up swap of Howard for McCoy could play out depending how we draft, however any conversation about Howard is dependant on who we pick up. He seems as good as gone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 am 
Mod

I do t think they trade Howard until they have a replacement. But that’s a double edged sword, because having a replacement on hand could drive the price for him down.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:15 pm 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
I do t think they trade Howard until they have a replacement. But that’s a double edged sword, because having a replacement on hand could drive the price for him down.

I think this is going to take some time to play out... teams are going to have to swing and miss in FA and then consider trading a day 3 pick to us for Howard. I don't know if I can see a way he's on our roster next season.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next