2019 Free Agency open discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

Bye bye Bellamy. I’d have let him walk at that price as well.

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/stat ... 35393?s=20
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:Bye bye Bellamy. I’d have let him walk at that price as well.

Hands like feet at the worst times, ran really good routes, made a few catches too but for that money, no way in hell.

At 29 I think he has shown all he will be, which is very replaceable.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Thank God... Don't understand how he stuck around this long after he messed around with another teammates girl. Never liked him and the Bears are better off without him. FN guy catches 1 out of 5 passes thrown at him and he celebrates like he's Michael Irving LOL.

The RB they picked up Davis... If they think he can replace Howard they should keep looking. Maybe Cunningham but a starter? Watched all the vids I could find on him and he looks like a little quicker Howard who can catch but not bulldoze like Howard could do. I was expecting a flashier type of RB that could become the face of the franchise (as much as a RB can be these days) as a replacement over Howrd not a downgrade. My guess is they go after one of the RBs in the draft that's stock dropped because of injury like Love or Hill... That makes the most sense right now IMHO.

Or they go after Sanders if they can get him at a reasonable price for trading up in the second... Pace does a good job of giving himself options... Davis could give Pace the confidence to move Howard to get the ammo he needs to move up without sacrificing any of this year's other draft picks...
Last edited by Knuckles on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
wab
Mod

Bellamy was an underrated depth guy and I think the Bears will miss him at first. But there will be another guy (Gentry?) that can do what he did.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

wab wrote:Bellamy was an underrated depth guy and I think the Bears will miss him at first. But there will be another guy (Gentry?) that can do what he did.
He sure got a lot of playing time though... He was very quick and was a good gunner but a horrible WR and from everything I've seen on him a complete douche LOL.

Honestly, when he did catch a ball I had a hard time cheering.. I would cheer for the Bears but hated that it was him. I like everyone on this team right now and that's a good feeling.

EDIT:

Just saw they picked up CB Buster Skrine... Looks like Callahan isn't coming back.

Buster Skrine, who will sign a three-year, $16.5 million deal with the Bears, NFL Network reports.

Seems like from fans perspective he's not that good reading the comments on BleacherReport. I have no clue I've never heard of him. It looks like the best thing that might come of that pickup is they might get a pick next year for Calahan leaving.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
wab
Mod

Its been a pretty underwhelming start to FA. But I’m cool with that. I’m not a Skrine fan, but whatever. The Davis signing is decent as he replaced Cunningham/Mizzel.

The Bears don’t need to make splash moves. They need some depth and a slot corner.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

wab wrote:Its been a pretty underwhelming start to FA. But I’m cool with that. I’m not a Skrine fan, but whatever. The Davis signing is decent as he replaced Cunningham/Mizzel.

The Bears don’t need to make splash moves. They need some depth and a slot corner.
Yeah I wasn't expecting much this year although you never know with Pace, he might grab a big name guy later on... We have a really solid team and pretty good depth overall. Upgrade a couple depth positions, create some competition at a few spots and start relying on the draft to build the team further.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Its been a pretty underwhelming start to FA. But I’m cool with that. I’m not a Skrine fan, but whatever. The Davis signing is decent as he replaced Cunningham/Mizzel.

I've got a feeling we're gonna sign Bell. This will be unreal.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Good for him. He's a good guy. I mean, he's probably not worth that much, but it's the Jets.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Amos signed with the Packers.

Fucker. I hope that Robinson and Howard run over his ass.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

That's some BS... The Packers just got a gold mine of info and a decent player. Of all teams it had to be the Packers >.<
UOK
Site Admin

Knuckles wrote:That's some BS... The Packers just got a gold mine of info and a decent player. Of all teams it had to be the Packers >.<

Eh. I don't know about that. Chuck Pagano will have his own terminology and systems in place, so anything of use would be marginal and anecdotal.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

The Marshall Plan wrote:

I've got a feeling we're gonna sign Bell. This will be unreal.
I really like him as a RB but not too sure on how much I trust him to not pull a Briggs every couple years and scream for more cash. Nagy likes 'we' guys and staying out a year for cash doesn't scream cumbia. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

EDIT: Just saw the Bears cleared another 11 mil restructuring Macks deal so they now have some cash to make some moves. I feel a big name coming soon.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Even with Pace clearing that space - I really can't see Bell signing with the Bears. I think Pace opened up space to sign more than one player.
Never Die Easy
Funkster
MVP

Knuckles wrote:That's some BS... The Packers just got a gold mine of info and a decent player. Of all teams it had to be the Packers >.<

I was thinking the same thing. Amos was a good player for the bears and deserves to be paid, but he didn’t have to do this.

My wife works with a pukers fan, this is the text I sent my wife when I found out Amos signed with GB. “Amos just signed with the damn pukers. Fuck him and your whorish friend for liking a team that wants to smell like a cows ass. You can tell her I said that.”
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not sure why it is B.S., but I do hope he gets burned for a TD or 5 and whoever the Bears RB is trucks his ass. But good for him getting paid. He is dead to me.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I recognize the mercenary nature of modern pro sports ... not like when I was a kid when I knew i could root for my favorite players on my favorite team because they would be on my favorite team for some time

I don't hold it against the modern era guys having a more selfish agenda to get what they can when they can, team allegiance be damned ... but it does usually disappoint me when it happens

I'm guessing Pace has something in the works with all the $$$ shifting he has done to free up more wiggle room ... have no idea what he may be up to, but I expect it to be a positive move of some kind
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Oh to go back to the days of "Right Of First Refusal." Those were the good ole days.

It is getting to be where high school sports is my go to anymore. I have problems watching college bball with all the 1 and dones and the coaches going here and there. High school is still pure sports for the most part.
malk
Head Coach

Do not like Amos to the Packers, I liked that dude.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Funkster wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Amos was a good player for the bears and deserves to be paid, but he didn’t have to do this.

My wife works with a pukers fan, this is the text I sent my wife when I found out Amos signed with GB. “Amos just signed with the damn pukers. Fuck him and your whorish friend for liking a team that wants to smell like a cows ass. You can tell her I said that.”

LOL sounds like something that I would've said...

Amos was a good player for us but he did have two major mistakes that cost points in the Philly game. One where he was completely confused on the play I believe that gave them the lead near the end of the game. Hopefully, he can have a couple of lapses like that when we play them. F the Pack!
GSH
MVP

have i had too much of this amazing japanese coffee grain whiskey OR does this make sense:

cap-space was moved to sign Houston and re-sign callahan.

then in typical Pace blockbuster late move, we trade jordan howard, nick kwiatkowski and a 2019 6th round pick for saquon barkley from NYG who are clearly in blow it up and tank mode.

anyone?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Don't look now. The Packers are signing a bunch of high priced FA players on defense. They can feel the tide turning in the NFCN.
wab
Mod

GSH wrote:have i had too much of this amazing japanese coffee grain whiskey OR does this make sense:

then in typical Pace blockbuster late move, we trade jordan howard, nick kwiatkowski and a 2019 6th round pick for saquon barkley from NYG who are clearly in blow it up and tank mode.

anyone?
That would be a steal for the Bears
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
GSH wrote:have i had too much of this amazing japanese coffee grain whiskey OR does this make sense:

anyone?
Ya think? :D

It sure does look like the Giants could be going full Gruden. I was wondering last night if they wouldn't be interested in trading Barkley in another OBJ-like deal. If that's the case though, they might consider Howard at the high end of the age they'd want for a RB. As if we'd have the draft capital to get involved in that.......
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Funkster
MVP

So glad AP re-signed with the skins, now I don’t have to worry about the bears signing him!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I don't think there was ever any interest from the Bears about signing him
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Interesting that Tevin Coleman signed a 2 year $10 million deal. Re-unites with Kyle Shannahan. I thought Nagy would be interested in him - especially at that modest price, instead of Mike Davis.

Seems like the plan right now for RB is:

1. Draft one in the mid rounds
2. Trade Howard
3. Use a combination of carries for Rookie/Davis/Patterson with a little bit of Cohen sprinkled in
4. Cohen to be utilized more as a receiver and pass catcher out of the backfield

Honestly, I'm totally fine with this approach. No need to spend top dollar on RB's these days.
Never Die Easy
Umbali
MVP

I wonder whats going on with Callahan. I just assumed when we signed um....Shrinks lol or whatever his name is , that we were moving on, however I havent heard a single rumor or thing regarding Callahan. Although in fairness I do drink and may have missed it lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:

anyone?
Ya think? :D

It sure does look like the Giants could be going full Gruden. I was wondering last night if they wouldn't be interested in trading Barkley in another OBJ-like deal. If that's the case though, they might consider Howard at the high end of the age they'd want for a RB. As if we'd have the draft capital to get involved in that.......
I don't think that there's any universe in which that happens. If the GM of the Giants traded away their star first-round pick from last year, he would be stoned in the streets of Brooklyn.