2019 Free Agency open discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote:
wab wrote:The more I look at Mike Davis...the more I think he's the Bears 1a back going into next season. I was hasty in saying he was likely the 3rd back. I think they have more planned for him than I initially expected.
Man I wish you would post those vids cause not that I don't like him I think he has the potential but I'm like you earlier and see him as a 3rd back. I'm in the boat that they will move up in second to get Sanders (God I hope so he just has that it factor) and Davis will be a short yardage type guy or see which RB coming off an injury drops and throw them in the 3rd spot for as long as Davis can hold them off and they're completely healthy. The money they threw at Davis is on the low end starter level but when Pace has said in the past he's going to fix a position he usually goes all out. I just have not seen video on Davis that screams starter at this point I firmly believe that's his biggest concern next to kicker...

I've been wrong in the past though lol...
https://youtu.be/3bu7eSermkU?t=65" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's probably the best summary of his style as a runner... has some quickness, sharp jump cut to make a defender miss, decent burst and power behind his pads when he lowers his head.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Knuckles
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:
Knuckles wrote:
wab wrote:The more I look at Mike Davis...the more I think he's the Bears 1a back going into next season. I was hasty in saying he was likely the 3rd back. I think they have more planned for him than I initially expected.
Man I wish you would post those vids cause not that I don't like him I think he has the potential but I'm like you earlier and see him as a 3rd back. I'm in the boat that they will move up in second to get Sanders (God I hope so he just has that it factor) and Davis will be a short yardage type guy or see which RB coming off an injury drops and throw them in the 3rd spot for as long as Davis can hold them off and they're completely healthy. The money they threw at Davis is on the low end starter level but when Pace has said in the past he's going to fix a position he usually goes all out. I just have not seen video on Davis that screams starter at this point I firmly believe that's his biggest concern next to kicker...

I've been wrong in the past though lol...
https://youtu.be/3bu7eSermkU?t=65" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's probably the best summary of his style as a runner... has some quickness, sharp jump cut to make a defender miss, decent burst and power behind his pads when he lowers his head.
Was a good vid. Seen some of those plays in other vids but there were some that were new and yeah he definitely has potential. You can't say he doesn't like contact because he definitely will lower a shoulder and I like that. He's a little quicker than Howard and has more lateral movement. I still want Sanders badly but we could do a lot worse than Davis.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
GSH
MVP

SUH is still a free agent I hear....
BR0D1E86
MVP

Some names to keep an eye on, as we still need depth at edge....

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/stat ... 18145?s=20
BR0D1E86
MVP

Since we’re nothing if not thorough. I’m assuming a minimum deal.

https://twitter.com/MattEurich/status/1 ... 45792?s=20
Knuckles
Player of the Month

You guys read THIS?

Honestly, I don't think I've seen this in my lifetime other than maybe a year or two under Lovie. It's amazing what a great coaching staff can do to a franchise. All the years wasted with mediocre guys where all us fans always knew what it would take but it never registered with the team until now.

All the years of being the guy at the bar that everyone consoles starting week 6... "There's always next year" LOL. Man it's great we have a coaching staff and head coach that makes players want to play here. We can become the next Patriots with that type of magnetism they've had for what a decade now. Add in the fun factor of Nagy and the new training facility this team will be a destination for players for a while!

It's a good time to be a Bear fan!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

:toast:
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Looks like Bryce Callahan is visiting the Broncos today. Really curious if Callahan's medicals scared off Pace much like Cam Meredith did last year.
Never Die Easy
BR0D1E86
MVP

The Bears are currently getting a 4th round comp pick next year (subject to change)

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/stat ... 77697?s=20
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I'm looking at our cap situation in 2020 and 2021 and thinking that the Bears need to extend guys this year and/or look at 1 year rentals only. As it is the bears are gonna need some restructuring or notable cuts to even participate in 2020 free agency
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

Chris Emma

Verified account

@CEmma670
14h14 hours ago
More
Daniel Brown is signing a one-year deal with the Jets, a source said. The now-former Bears tight end is off to New York.
I liked Brown. I thought he was sort of a poor man's Greg Olsen that never really got a chance to shine.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Witzman to the Browns. I believe if he signs above 4.5 aav the Bears get a 7th round comp pick. Or regardless I know he goes into the comp pick formula. I have no idea how it’s all figured out.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I mean, I guess. I’d rather he mostly stayed at his position though and we used some of our league average remaining cap space to bring in a guy that can play the position.

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/11 ... 38624?s=20
wab
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote:I mean, I guess. I’d rather he mostly stayed at his position though and we used some of our league average remaining cap space to bring in a guy that can play the position.

He was drafted as an OLB tho...
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:I mean, I guess. I’d rather he mostly stayed at his position though and we used some of our league average remaining cap space to bring in a guy that can play the position.

Yeah but he bulked up quite a bit IIRC.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

Yeah but he bulked up quite a bit IIRC.
Yeah like 40 lbs of muscle. He is a big bodied dude. Her could be used like pernell McPhee in Baltimore.
Pagan
MVP

I still think it would be wise to try & lock RoyRob into a long term contract before this guy fully blooms.
LacertineForest
MVP

This could be an interesting twist to the kicker saga:

Report: 49ers showing interest in Stephen Gostkowski

Obviously if they signed Gostowski, they would rescind the tag on Gould and he would become a free agent, and hopefully then a Chicago Bear.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BearButtseks wrote:This could be an interesting twist to the kicker saga:

Report: 49ers showing interest in Stephen Gostkowski

Obviously if they signed Gostowski, they would rescind the tag on Gould and he would become a free agent, and hopefully then a Chicago Bear.
I think they would have to go after him immediately if they rescind the tag. For a championship caliber team we all saw what kicking woes ended in. Gould at his worst is still better than what we have had since then.

But that depends on what Gould wants too. He may want a longer and more expensive deal than possible.
LacertineForest
MVP

Well, scratch that idea - Gost re-upped with the Pats. The thing with the 49ers might have just been thrown out by the agent to drive up the price. Oh well - maybe Gould will simply not sign the franchise tender, and they'll rescind it.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

http://sportsmockery.com/2019/04/why-an ... ter-draft/

Danny Shelton is out there apparently. I wonder how much it would take to sign him.

I could go for a front with Hicks, Shelton and Goldman. Then rotate in Nichols.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

there should be a handful of former AAF players, other than kickers, who will get their shot

the Vikings just signed Karter Schult , the DE/OLB from Salt Lake who was playing at a level above the competition ... this was the guy I wanted the Bears to take a look at ... now I guess they'll have to find a way to block him as I think he will make an impact for them
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin