Bears sign RB Mike Davis to 2yr, $6M deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote:It's still zone running, but it's primarily between the tackles (inside zone) instead of outside with sweeps and such.

The key is that the RB should be able to pick lanes (Howard does this well) and get yards after contact (in 2018, Howard did this less well). Some of the latter had to do with Kyle Long being injured and running behind the likes of Eric Kush and Bryan Witzmann instead. Also, running a power scheme with this line would be counterproductive, in my view, as it's not really their calling card.

The biggest issues with Howard in this offense are that he doesn't have that extra gear in the open field and that he doesn't really threaten the defense when he goes out to receive. But trading Howard is as much about his rookie contract expiring in 2020 as it is his meh receiving skills.
Howard's biggest struggles are with the RPO. He's not great with not knowing if he's getting the handoff or if Mitch is going to pull it back it. You can see it...he freezes...and then when he does get the ball he's stood up in the backfield because of his hesitation.

They scaled back the RPO stuff towards the end of the year when Howard was in the game, and he had better results.
wab
Mod

Long but great read on Hiestand's scheme.

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/teams ... -hiestand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Excellent read, wab, thanks.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:Excellent read, wab, thanks.
Agreed.

Blocking schemes are something I need to understand better. To me it looks like in order for this to be successful you really need a faster RB. Like I've said before, I would never be negative on Jordan Howard because he is a great player, but for that scheme I don't see him being a fit.