RB Possibility - Duke Johnson

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bad Flanders
MVP

doubt they are looking to spend that kind of money at that position right now...
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:I'd love for him to be a part of the Bears. But with Cohen and Davis on board, I think the Bears turn to the draft. Now...if they can get him for the pick that they got for Howard, I'd be all for it.
Agreed, this dude would be good in this offense. If I were Pace, I would see what it would take and if it’s anything reasonable 5/6th rounder, I would pull the trigger. This kid can simply create yards and runs to green.

Mike Davis cap hit is only 2M this season and the bears have an out next season and would only have a 1 million dead cap charge. Johnson cap hits are 1.8M, $3.6M, $4.65M. I’m not sure the bears are sold on any back in this draft. I would feel much more confident going into this season with Johnson/Cohen/Davis instead of Davis/Cohen/rookie.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:I'd love for him to be a part of the Bears. But with Cohen and Davis on board, I think the Bears turn to the draft. Now...if they can get him for the pick that they got for Howard, I'd be all for it.
Agreed, this dude would be good in this offense. If I were Pace, I would see what it would take and if it’s anything reasonable 5/6th rounder, I would pull the trigger. This kid can simply create yards and runs to green.

Mike Davis cap hit is only 2M this season and the bears have an out next season and would only have a 1 million dead cap charge. Johnson cap hits are 1.8M, $3.6M, $4.65M. I’m not sure the bears are sold on any back in this draft. I would feel much more confident going into this season with Johnson/Cohen/Davis instead of Davis/Cohen/rookie.
I think the only thing standing in the way of Johnson is Davis. I was dead wrong when I assumed he was a replacement for Cunningham/Mizzell. I think they want to feature the guy. Having said that, I like Johnson a whole hell of a lot better in this offense than almost any RB in the NFL right now (as I've been saying for months).
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:

I think the only thing standing in the way of Johnson is Davis. I was dead wrong when I assumed he was a replacement for Cunningham/Mizzell. I think they want to feature the guy. Having said that, I like Johnson a whole hell of a lot better in this offense than almost any RB in the NFL right now (as I've been saying for months).

Also agree on Davis is probably standing in the way. Pace has been known for his patience maybe he jumped the gun on this one? Or possibly I’m wrong and the bears have a back they’re dead set on in the draft and willing to move up to get him and Davis is just insurance? I know I’ve said it before but I’m not sold with Davis as RB1. Johnson seems to be the more prototypical Nagy back. I watched a little film on Johnson, from what I’m seeing he looks like he can create yards after contact, can make people miss, is a very good receiving back, is very good at creating yards after the catch(something I feel is lacking in this offense). However, I can’t find anything with him blocking, this is one aspect I feel was under appreciated in Howard. IMO, a dynamic all purpose back would make all the difference in the world in a Nagy offense.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Howard is an elite pass blocking RB. That will be hard to replace.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

If Jordan Howard was worth a R5 or R6 pick in 2020, what's Duke Johnson worth?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote:If Jordan Howard was worth a R5 or R6 pick in 2020, what's Duke Johnson worth?
I’d say less. He makes more and I wouldn’t argue he’s been more productive. Just different.
G08
Hall of Famer

I like the idea of Duke but he's getting more $$$ than I think we want to commit to the position right meow.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"