Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20263
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:32 pm

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... positions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune tweets that the Chicago Bears aren’t ruling out a position swap that would move center Cody Whitehair to guard and James Daniels (currently listed as the team’s top left guard) over to center.
Image
MoFugger
Head Coach
Posts: 2377
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 am

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Makes sense to try something new. I liked Whitehair at center at the time, because the writing was on the wall that slauson was going to be cut, and Cody was the best guy to take over at center at that time.
But that was then, and he has not exactly been lights out.
He needs to play, but it doesn't necessarily need to play the center
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2092
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:29 pm

Wanted it last year, but it was too tough for a rookie to be expected to take over and make the calls.
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3156
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:31 pm

Something new. lol... That half of us in this forum were calling for last year.
Image
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14803
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:30 pm

I'm so tired of seeing our linemen getting dicked around. Put them at one fucking spot and let them develop and hone their craft!
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
GSH
Assistant Coach
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:50 am

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:55 am

G08 wrote:I'm so tired of seeing our linemen getting dicked around. Put them at one fucking spot and let them develop and hone their craft!
this
Image
User avatar
VA_Mountain_Bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 am

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:02 am

It would make some sense to let these two go to their natural positions. I agree in general with not moving guys all around, but if HH thinks they should swap back to their natural positions, it makes sense.
User avatar
Bad Flanders
MVP
Posts: 1858
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:26 am

GSH wrote:
G08 wrote:I'm so tired of seeing our linemen getting dicked around. Put them at one fucking spot and let them develop and hone their craft!
this
Exactly. Put them in a spot and leave it. If you don't make this switch last year when it was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year, why make it this year when the the window is as big as it's been in more than a decade?!?!?
User avatar
malk
Head Coach
Posts: 2400
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:12 pm

Bad Flanders wrote:
GSH wrote:
G08 wrote:I'm so tired of seeing our linemen getting dicked around. Put them at one fucking spot and let them develop and hone their craft!
this
Exactly. Put them in a spot and leave it. If you don't make this switch last year when it was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year, why make it this year when the the window is as big as it's been in more than a decade?!?!?
This... except put them in the right spots to begin with please thank you.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2092
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:20 pm

Whitehair is more prototypical Guard, was a guard and tackle in college and was drafted as a guard, he was stuck at center due to severe need at the time due to injuries and backups sucking hind tit. He has done OK, but his shotgun snaps are very inconsistent.

Daniels is more prototypical center and was a center in college but was put at guard and did well as a rookie eventually when he was put in.

I can understand not wanting a rookie at center when you are putting in a new offense, grooming a young QB and want your line calls correct.

If HH says it is the way to go I would call it close to Gospel.
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3156
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:21 pm

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:It would make some sense to let these two go to their natural positions. I agree in general with not moving guys all around, but if HH thinks they should swap back to their natural positions, it makes sense.
I'm with you.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
Teddy KGB
Practice Squad
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:26 pm

If the Bears are floating this, then this is what is going to happen.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19535
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:32 am

I think with his movement skills, Daniels could be the best center in the NFL.
sturf
Journeyman
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:52 am

Actually listening to Nagy I don't think anything is being floated. A reporter had a pre-determined he wanted to write. They may very will switch. It is worth trying, but I'll believe it when they actually swap with the 1st team in training camp. Having watched these guys up close in training camp I remain unconvinced that Whithair would actually be better in the NFL as an undersized guard than he is at center. And I have seen nothing in NFL games that shows that either.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19535
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:23 am

sturf wrote:Actually listening to Nagy I don't think anything is being floated. A reporter had a pre-determined he wanted to write. They may very will switch. It is worth trying, but I'll believe it when they actually swap with the 1st team in training camp. Having watched these guys up close in training camp I remain unconvinced that Whithair would actually be better in the NFL as an undersized guard than he is at center. And I have seen nothing in NFL games that shows that either.
Undersized? He's the same size as Daniels. He's the same size as Zack Martin. He's bigger than the Bears' left tackle.
User avatar
Bad Flanders
MVP
Posts: 1858
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:36 am

southdakbearfan wrote:I can understand not wanting a rookie at center when you are putting in a new offense, grooming a young QB and want your line calls correct.

If HH says it is the way to go I would call it close to Gospel.
Solid points, I get it.

Just hope they don't get too fancy and fix something that we all thought would be a problem and then turned out not to be broken at all.
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14567
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:02 pm

I don't get what the discussion is even about ... a talking head is who "floated the idea", not Nagy or Hiestand

so maybe we should wait until training camp and see what the team is actually up to?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2092
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Boris13c wrote:I don't get what the discussion is even about ... a talking head is who "floated the idea", not Nagy or Hiestand

so maybe we should wait until training camp and see what the team is actually up to?
Don’t be so boring. We have to debate something.
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14567
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:10 pm

southdakbearfan wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I don't get what the discussion is even about ... a talking head is who "floated the idea", not Nagy or Hiestand

so maybe we should wait until training camp and see what the team is actually up to?
Don’t be so boring. We have to debate something.

Image

I say Right Twix

who's with me?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
User avatar
thunderspirit
Crafty Veteran
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 841
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:19 pm

wab wrote:
sturf wrote:Actually listening to Nagy I don't think anything is being floated. A reporter had a pre-determined he wanted to write. They may very will switch. It is worth trying, but I'll believe it when they actually swap with the 1st team in training camp. Having watched these guys up close in training camp I remain unconvinced that Whithair would actually be better in the NFL as an undersized guard than he is at center. And I have seen nothing in NFL games that shows that either.
Undersized? He's the same size as Daniels. He's the same size as Zack Martin. He's bigger than the Bears' left tackle.
Whitehair is two pounds lighter than Leno, wab, LOL

But more to the point: he and Leno and Daniels and Long are all within ten pounds of each other. There's every indication that's the size the Bears want on the OL.
KFFL refugee.

This space for rent.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2092
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:20 pm

Boris13c wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I don't get what the discussion is even about ... a talking head is who "floated the idea", not Nagy or Hiestand

so maybe we should wait until training camp and see what the team is actually up to?
Don’t be so boring. We have to debate something.

Image

I say Right Twix

who's with me?
I say left Twix, but he was drafted as a right Twix so we might be agreeing
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19535
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:25 pm

thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote:
sturf wrote:Actually listening to Nagy I don't think anything is being floated. A reporter had a pre-determined he wanted to write. They may very will switch. It is worth trying, but I'll believe it when they actually swap with the 1st team in training camp. Having watched these guys up close in training camp I remain unconvinced that Whithair would actually be better in the NFL as an undersized guard than he is at center. And I have seen nothing in NFL games that shows that either.
Undersized? He's the same size as Daniels. He's the same size as Zack Martin. He's bigger than the Bears' left tackle.
Whitehair is two pounds lighter than Leno, wab, LOL

But more to the point: he and Leno and Daniels and Long are all within ten pounds of each other. There's every indication that's the size the Bears want on the OL.
Cody Whitehair - 6'4 310
http://www.nfl.com/player/codywhitehair/2555132/profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles Leno - 6'3 306
http://www.nfl.com/player/charleslenojr ... 69/profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sturf
Journeyman
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Whitehair, Daniels, and Leno may be roughly the same height, but the size differences are apparent when you see them standing next to each other like I have regularly at training camp.

Daniels was 20 years old and already a few pounds heavier at the combine than Whitehair was only at 301 at the combine. Daniels has arms a full inch and change longer than Whitehair. Daniels is only likely to get heavier in the NFL given how young he is. When you see these two stand next to each other it is obvious Daniels is the bigger bodied guy with obvious room to gain weight, while Whitehair looks maxed out as far as weight and he hasn't looked any bigger since his rookie season.

Leno has two inches in arm length on Whitehair and has obviously added weight since he was drafted, which is why Leno has the size to still play left tackle and Whitehair isn't. Again Leno and Whitehair may be a similar height, but they don't look the same size. Wab saying Whitehair is bigger than Leno is completely off base. Zach Martin who he also brought up is also taller, heavier, and longer than Whitehair.

Getting back to my original point. Generally if you have two guys and one weighs less and has shorter arms than the other. You play the heavier and longer player at guard, and the lighter and shorter armed player at center. Harry may make a different decision. My point is that it is not as obvious a switch as some people in this thread were making it as someone that has seen them up close.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19535
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:01 pm

sturf wrote:Whitehair, Daniels, and Leno may be roughly the same height, but the size differences are apparent when you see them standing next to each other like I have regularly at training camp.

Daniels was 20 years old and already a few pounds heavier at the combine than Whitehair was only at 301 at the combine. Daniels has arms a full inch and change longer than Whitehair. Daniels is only likely to get heavier in the NFL given how young he is. When you see these two stand next to each other it is obvious Daniels is the bigger bodied guy with obvious room to gain weight, while Whitehair looks maxed out as far as weight and he hasn't looked any bigger since his rookie season.

Leno has two inches in arm length on Whitehair and has obviously added weight since he was drafted, which is why Leno has the size to still play left tackle and Whitehair isn't. Again Leno and Whitehair may be a similar height, but they don't look the same size. Wab saying Whitehair is bigger than Leno is completely off base. Zach Martin who he also brought up is also taller, heavier, and longer than Whitehair.

Getting back to my original point. Generally if you have two guys and one weighs less and has shorter arms than the other. You play the heavier and longer player at guard, and the lighter and shorter armed player at center. Harry may make a different decision. My point is that it is not as obvious a switch as some people in this thread were making it as someone that has seen them up close.
Saying Whitehair is "undersized" is what is off base.

But I'll leave it at that.
Umbali
Assistant Coach
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:44 pm

First of all : Left Twix. Lefties are always harder to defend, and even tho I am mostly right handed I can throw either and my left it way better, and my daughter and wife are full left handed and God help me if they ever find an internet post where I picked the Right. Other than politics lol.

Now as far as Whitehair and Daniels, um the experts who's jobs, career paychecks etc are on the line are not going to do the stupid thing compared to us internet hacks who may or may not have seen them standing around at TC or playing in a game. I would have to guess they will make their decisions off of a 100 different things that we never have access to.

Resume your off season speculations!

:)
Via UOK
Ive got a lot of anger to ration out over the next 4-5 months, and I'm sure as hell not going to dump it out recklessly here in freakin' August.
User avatar
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 7610
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:42 pm

It’s about goddamn time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2092
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:11 pm

RRH is going to place kick as well.
User avatar
crueltyabc
Head Coach
Location: New Orleans LA
Posts: 3282
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:36 pm

Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:34 am

This is the move we all wanted last year and now almost everyone Is annoyed by it. Tbh I feel it too but I think this’ll be best in the long run


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EricTighe
Pro Bowler
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:55 am

crueltyabc wrote:This is the move we all wanted last year and now almost everyone Is annoyed by it. Tbh I feel it too but I think this’ll be best in the long run


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not everyone. I didn't want it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... er-week-17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bears finished the season with the league’s second-best pass blocking efficiency of any offensive line, and this was yet another team without a real weak link. Rookie James Daniels ended up earning their lowest grade at 62.3 overall, but Charles Leno Jr., Bobby Massie, and Cody Whitehair were all over 70.0.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus Daniels held up great against Donald so he may be in his Natural position.
User avatar
malk
Head Coach
Posts: 2400
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:08 pm

I think moving players gets a bad press down to attempts to shoehorn guys into, typically, tackle spots out of desperation. It's seems fairly obvious to me that both Whitehair and Daniels are Good Players who can play both guard and centre. I happen to be of the opinion that Whitehair will never be an elite centre buy could be an elite guard and suspect the opposite for Daniels (he's only had one year so I wouldn't make a strong assertion) but the bottom line for me is that it's incredibly unlikely that everything would go to hell if we, ulp, "moved" them.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

Return to “Halas Hall”