Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2051
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:20 pm

Boris13c wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I don't get what the discussion is even about ... a talking head is who "floated the idea", not Nagy or Hiestand

so maybe we should wait until training camp and see what the team is actually up to?
Don’t be so boring. We have to debate something.

Image

I say Right Twix

who's with me?
I say left Twix, but he was drafted as a right Twix so we might be agreeing
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19514
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:25 pm

thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote:
sturf wrote:Actually listening to Nagy I don't think anything is being floated. A reporter had a pre-determined he wanted to write. They may very will switch. It is worth trying, but I'll believe it when they actually swap with the 1st team in training camp. Having watched these guys up close in training camp I remain unconvinced that Whithair would actually be better in the NFL as an undersized guard than he is at center. And I have seen nothing in NFL games that shows that either.
Undersized? He's the same size as Daniels. He's the same size as Zack Martin. He's bigger than the Bears' left tackle.
Whitehair is two pounds lighter than Leno, wab, LOL

But more to the point: he and Leno and Daniels and Long are all within ten pounds of each other. There's every indication that's the size the Bears want on the OL.
Cody Whitehair - 6'4 310
http://www.nfl.com/player/codywhitehair/2555132/profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles Leno - 6'3 306
http://www.nfl.com/player/charleslenojr ... 69/profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sturf
Journeyman
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Whitehair, Daniels, and Leno may be roughly the same height, but the size differences are apparent when you see them standing next to each other like I have regularly at training camp.

Daniels was 20 years old and already a few pounds heavier at the combine than Whitehair was only at 301 at the combine. Daniels has arms a full inch and change longer than Whitehair. Daniels is only likely to get heavier in the NFL given how young he is. When you see these two stand next to each other it is obvious Daniels is the bigger bodied guy with obvious room to gain weight, while Whitehair looks maxed out as far as weight and he hasn't looked any bigger since his rookie season.

Leno has two inches in arm length on Whitehair and has obviously added weight since he was drafted, which is why Leno has the size to still play left tackle and Whitehair isn't. Again Leno and Whitehair may be a similar height, but they don't look the same size. Wab saying Whitehair is bigger than Leno is completely off base. Zach Martin who he also brought up is also taller, heavier, and longer than Whitehair.

Getting back to my original point. Generally if you have two guys and one weighs less and has shorter arms than the other. You play the heavier and longer player at guard, and the lighter and shorter armed player at center. Harry may make a different decision. My point is that it is not as obvious a switch as some people in this thread were making it as someone that has seen them up close.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19514
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:01 pm

sturf wrote:Whitehair, Daniels, and Leno may be roughly the same height, but the size differences are apparent when you see them standing next to each other like I have regularly at training camp.

Daniels was 20 years old and already a few pounds heavier at the combine than Whitehair was only at 301 at the combine. Daniels has arms a full inch and change longer than Whitehair. Daniels is only likely to get heavier in the NFL given how young he is. When you see these two stand next to each other it is obvious Daniels is the bigger bodied guy with obvious room to gain weight, while Whitehair looks maxed out as far as weight and he hasn't looked any bigger since his rookie season.

Leno has two inches in arm length on Whitehair and has obviously added weight since he was drafted, which is why Leno has the size to still play left tackle and Whitehair isn't. Again Leno and Whitehair may be a similar height, but they don't look the same size. Wab saying Whitehair is bigger than Leno is completely off base. Zach Martin who he also brought up is also taller, heavier, and longer than Whitehair.

Getting back to my original point. Generally if you have two guys and one weighs less and has shorter arms than the other. You play the heavier and longer player at guard, and the lighter and shorter armed player at center. Harry may make a different decision. My point is that it is not as obvious a switch as some people in this thread were making it as someone that has seen them up close.
Saying Whitehair is "undersized" is what is off base.

But I'll leave it at that.
Umbali
Assistant Coach
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:44 pm

First of all : Left Twix. Lefties are always harder to defend, and even tho I am mostly right handed I can throw either and my left it way better, and my daughter and wife are full left handed and God help me if they ever find an internet post where I picked the Right. Other than politics lol.

Now as far as Whitehair and Daniels, um the experts who's jobs, career paychecks etc are on the line are not going to do the stupid thing compared to us internet hacks who may or may not have seen them standing around at TC or playing in a game. I would have to guess they will make their decisions off of a 100 different things that we never have access to.

Resume your off season speculations!

:)
Via UOK
Ive got a lot of anger to ration out over the next 4-5 months, and I'm sure as hell not going to dump it out recklessly here in freakin' August.
User avatar
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 7498
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:42 pm

It’s about goddamn time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2051
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:11 pm

RRH is going to place kick as well.
User avatar
crueltyabc
Head Coach
Location: New Orleans LA
Posts: 3281
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:36 pm

Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:34 am

This is the move we all wanted last year and now almost everyone Is annoyed by it. Tbh I feel it too but I think this’ll be best in the long run


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EricTighe
Pro Bowler
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:55 am

crueltyabc wrote:This is the move we all wanted last year and now almost everyone Is annoyed by it. Tbh I feel it too but I think this’ll be best in the long run


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not everyone. I didn't want it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... er-week-17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bears finished the season with the league’s second-best pass blocking efficiency of any offensive line, and this was yet another team without a real weak link. Rookie James Daniels ended up earning their lowest grade at 62.3 overall, but Charles Leno Jr., Bobby Massie, and Cody Whitehair were all over 70.0.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus Daniels held up great against Donald so he may be in his Natural position.
User avatar
malk
Head Coach
Posts: 2375
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:08 pm

I think moving players gets a bad press down to attempts to shoehorn guys into, typically, tackle spots out of desperation. It's seems fairly obvious to me that both Whitehair and Daniels are Good Players who can play both guard and centre. I happen to be of the opinion that Whitehair will never be an elite centre buy could be an elite guard and suspect the opposite for Daniels (he's only had one year so I wouldn't make a strong assertion) but the bottom line for me is that it's incredibly unlikely that everything would go to hell if we, ulp, "moved" them.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
MVP
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:59 pm

EricTighe wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:This is the move we all wanted last year and now almost everyone Is annoyed by it. Tbh I feel it too but I think this’ll be best in the long run


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not everyone. I didn't want it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... er-week-17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bears finished the season with the league’s second-best pass blocking efficiency of any offensive line, and this was yet another team without a real weak link. Rookie James Daniels ended up earning their lowest grade at 62.3 overall, but Charles Leno Jr., Bobby Massie, and Cody Whitehair were all over 70.0.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus Daniels held up great against Donald so he may be in his Natural position.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/pl ... iels/45576

I can't believe Daniels graded average. I know it was one game but he shut Donald down.
Image
User avatar
thunderspirit
Crafty Veteran
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 827
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:26 am

wab wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote:
sturf wrote:Actually listening to Nagy I don't think anything is being floated. A reporter had a pre-determined he wanted to write. They may very will switch. It is worth trying, but I'll believe it when they actually swap with the 1st team in training camp. Having watched these guys up close in training camp I remain unconvinced that Whithair would actually be better in the NFL as an undersized guard than he is at center. And I have seen nothing in NFL games that shows that either.
Undersized? He's the same size as Daniels. He's the same size as Zack Martin. He's bigger than the Bears' left tackle.
Whitehair is two pounds lighter than Leno, wab, LOL

But more to the point: he and Leno and Daniels and Long are all within ten pounds of each other. There's every indication that's the size the Bears want on the OL.
Cody Whitehair - 6'4 310
http://www.nfl.com/player/codywhitehair/2555132/profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles Leno - 6'3 306
http://www.nfl.com/player/charleslenojr ... 69/profile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, I'll eat crow on that, I was still looking at draft profiles.

Your larger point — that Whitehair is not at all undersized — stands.
KFFL refugee.

This space for rent.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20154
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Wed May 22, 2019 1:50 pm

@patrickfinley
James Daniels is going to play center, #Bears coach Matt Nagy said. That puts Cody Whitehair at left guard
Image
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19514
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Wed May 22, 2019 2:43 pm

Image
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Wed May 22, 2019 4:01 pm

wab wrote:Image
Amen.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 7498
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

Re: Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Thu May 23, 2019 7:56 am

wab wrote:Image
The Bears OL is going to take another big step forward this year.
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Thu May 23, 2019 10:06 am

Happy with it, I think they’re both in their more natural positions.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14718
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Thu May 23, 2019 10:34 pm

Sounds like he's been snapping the ball cleanly, so that's a +
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
malk
Head Coach
Posts: 2375
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am

Re: Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Fri May 24, 2019 5:55 pm

I know this isn't hugely surprising but I think it will have a pretty big difference. From Trubisky getting the ball a little cleaner to Whitehair being able to concentrate on just being a beast to Daniels utilising every last bit of his mobility.

Very happy to hear this.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.
User avatar
docc
Head Coach
Location: Dry Heat
Posts: 2360
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Fri May 24, 2019 9:06 pm

Where they should be...
User avatar
dplank
Journeyman
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Re: Bears may move Whitehair to LG, Daniels to C

Sat May 25, 2019 10:24 am

southdakbearfan wrote:Whitehair is more prototypical Guard, was a guard and tackle in college and was drafted as a guard, he was stuck at center due to severe need at the time due to injuries and backups sucking hind tit. He has done OK, but his shotgun snaps are very inconsistent.

Daniels is more prototypical center and was a center in college but was put at guard and did well as a rookie eventually when he was put in.

I can understand not wanting a rookie at center when you are putting in a new offense, grooming a young QB and want your line calls correct.

If HH says it is the way to go I would call it close to Gospel.
Agree 100%. They weren't throwing a 20 year old rookie in at C, they eased him in getting him NFL reps at an easier position mentally. Now that he's got a little seasoning in the NFL and in this offense, he'll move to his natural position. Makes sense to me.
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Tue May 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Has anyone seen Daniels this offseason, dude looks like a monster. I think the NFL offseason strength and conditioning program has really benefited him. I look forward to seeing him and Whitehair playing at their more natural positions.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 7498
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

Re: Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Tue May 28, 2019 6:33 pm

DaSuperfan wrote:Has anyone seen Daniels this offseason, dude looks like a monster. I think the NFL offseason strength and conditioning program has really benefited him. I look forward to seeing him and Whitehair playing at their more natural positions.
If, and it's a BIG if, Long can stay healthy this year. We should have one of the best interior OL in the league. I think Whitehair is going to stop thinking about playing C, and just start mauling defensive linemen. Much like Long on the other side. I also think Daniels is going to kill it at Center.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14718
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 am

DaSuperfan wrote:Has anyone seen Daniels this offseason, dude looks like a monster. I think the NFL offseason strength and conditioning program has really benefited him. I look forward to seeing him and Whitehair playing at their more natural positions.
Can't say that I have... Pics?
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19514
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Update: Daniels to move to C, Whitehair to G

Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 am

G08 wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:Has anyone seen Daniels this offseason, dude looks like a monster. I think the NFL offseason strength and conditioning program has really benefited him. I look forward to seeing him and Whitehair playing at their more natural positions.
Can't say that I have... Pics?
I haven't either other than the pick of him with his diploma at Iowa's graduation day.

Return to “Halas Hall”