Jordan Howard traded to PHI for 2020 6th rd pick

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Any udfa can get 3.7 a carry. Pace got a 6th for that.
docc
Head Coach

New Orleans Saints
Recent history shows how Jordan Howard trade could benefit Bears

Recent history shows how Jordan Howard trade could benefit Bears originally appeared on nbcsportschicago.com

Ryan Pace decided to part with a piece of the Bears' offense, a seemingly-important piece to have around quarterback Mitch Trubisky who led the team in an offensive category in the past.

That could've been the lede to a story a year ago about the Bears not matching the New Orleans Saints' offer sheet for then-restricted free agent wide receiver Cameron Meredith. It applies now, too, in the aftermath of last week's trade to ship running back Jordan Howard to the Philadelphia Eagles for a 2020 draft pick.

Broadly, the situation is similar to that of Howard: The Bears let go of a player they felt didn't fit their plans.

Of course, the specifics are different. The Bears knew Meredith's medicals after he tore his ACL in a preseason game in 2017 and weren't willing to guarantee over $5 million to him, as the Saints did. Meredith appeared in only six games for New Orleans in 2018 and had his knee scoped after landing on injured reserve. Keeping him would've meant not drafting Anthony Miller, who led the Bears in receiving touchdowns as a rookie in 2018.

Howard, however, doesn't have a history of injuries. He simply didn't fit what the Bears hoped to accomplish out of a running back unit that added Mike Davis in free agency and seems likely to add another player in the draft, just as Pace did in letting go of Meredith and drafting Miller.

Granted, Pace doesn't have a second-round pick - or, too, three picks in the first two rounds, as he did after trading back into last year's second round to take Miller - with which to draft a running back. The Bears aren't necessarily going to take a running back when they go on the clock with the 87th pick in April's draft.

"It's going to be a unique year where we're picking and it's still going to be best player available," Pace said.

The good news for the Bears' running back depth chart is players at that position usually fall a round or two below their grade, given teams (that don't play at MetLife Stadium) usually don't prioritize that position. The Bears could have a second-round grade on someone like Penn State's Miles Sanders or Memphis' Darrell Henderson and get them in the third round, or even the fourth round (the lack of a clear-cut top running back in this year's draft class, though, could lead a few to go off the board after the first round). Or the Bears could see a good prospect to target with a fourth- or fifth-round pick, perhaps like Ohio State's Mike Weber or Notre Dame's Dexter Williams. Either way, the Bears will have options.

But for those concerned/annoyed/frustrated with the Bears' trade of Howard, perhaps consider what happened a year ago. The Bears didn't appear to be a better team when they let Meredith go to New Orleans, then wound up a better team because they replaced him with Miller.

With Pace and Matt Nagy working closely to identify the right guy to add to their running back group with Howard out of the picture, perhaps they deserve some benefit of the doubt.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Late to this party, but here is my take. Howard was good for us while we ran a John Fox offense, since he about the only thing to give any excitement, or first downs, in that time it is was easy to be attached to him. He clearly was not the right fit for the new offense, and with only a single year left on his rookie contract it was nice to get anything back for him. Depending on how well he plays we will get a 6th or as high as a 5th I believe. Of course I'd be happier with a 4th rounder, but it isn't realistic.

Now ask yourself this: If Pace could draft 5th rounders that would play significantly for 3 years and then turn into a 6th every year, would you not be elated for that sort of success in drafting and trading? GM'ing like that would be dynasty building.

We didn't lose on this one guys.
wab
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote:I’d like to make my position clear. I don’t think this trade was horrible, and I don’t think Jordan Howard is irreplaceable. I just think if his value is a future 6th, we were better off keeping him around for another year.
Not at the expense of the offense as a whole.
EricTighe
MVP

G08 wrote:
EricTighe wrote:I have a few.
34 two of them one signed one not.
50 both home and away.
54 both home and away.
33, 46

And recently a
17 Jeffery with damn Beagles
24 now with the damn Beagles.

Crap I need a beer or two or maybe 12.
Ya know... I could take one of those signed 34 jerseys off ya :D
Only one is signed and it is actually in a safety deposit box. The man is why I am a Bears fan and my hero.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Here's what makes me crazy about this... The best RB on our team is a career backup, without even the logic in play that suggests he's ready for a bigger role, kinda like the Duke Johnson talk. Here's a question... How many NFL teams have a worse situation than we do at RB right now?

Instead, everyone seems to be hanging their hat on... "We drafted Howard in R5. I have faith in Pace to draft our next guy." I think Pace has done some good drafting. However, since when is the draft in R3 or R4 any kind of a sure thing? What if we snag a RB and he's a complete dud? Then where does that leave our team, which should be a contender?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:Here's what makes me crazy about this... The best RB on our team is a career backup, without even the logic in play that suggests he's ready for a bigger role, kinda like the Duke Johnson talk. Here's a question... How many NFL teams have a worse situation than we do at RB right now?

Instead, everyone seems to be hanging their hat on... "We drafted Howard in R5. I have faith in Pace to draft our next guy." I think Pace has done some good drafting. However, since when is the draft in R3 or R4 any kind of a sure thing? What if we snag a RB and he's a complete dud? Then where does that leave our team, which should be a contender?
Last year the Eagles had a much worse RB situation than we do right now. Prior to last year, NE consistently had a committee approach to their RB stable with guys that probably wouldn't start for most teams. GB for a few years had very little in the way of RB and still managed to do alright.

I believe that overall, 20-30% of what used to be running plays are simply going to be short passes to the RB after the WR's clear out. With Davis, Cohen and Patterson all able to run and catch very well out of the backfield, Nagy can run any play he wants with any of those guys in the game. And if any of them get hot, he just leaves them in...
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:Here's what makes me crazy about this... The best RB on our team is a career backup, without even the logic in play that suggests he's ready for a bigger role, kinda like the Duke Johnson talk. Here's a question... How many NFL teams have a worse situation than we do at RB right now?

We have 10 picks in the 2020 draft. It wouldn't make sense to keep them all. With that amount of picks and Pace's history of making trades for players he wants, we would be able to trade up in this year's draft for "that guy" if there is somebody Pace has identified. With how discounted RBs are getting traded for, and with the cap space we have after restructuring Mack's deal, whose to say Pace doesn't trade for a Duke Johnson type player.

RB is no longer a position where teams need to commit a lot of cap space towards. In the same way that a developmental QB should be drafted every couple of years I think RB is in the same situation now.
wab
Mod

The Bears went 12-4 last season and basically didn't get to the super bowl because of a kicker (you'll never convince me the Bears couldn't have beaten the Rams or the Pats). And they did it with Jordan Howard having a career worst year. If you don't think the Bears can replicate or improve upon Howard's production with - at worst - creative playcalling and a committee approach, then I don't know what to really say to you.

Everyone loves Jordan Howard, I get it. I love Jordan Howard. However his statistics last season are very replaceable.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:

We have 10 picks in the 2020 draft. It wouldn't make sense to keep them all. With that amount of picks and Pace's history of making trades for players he wants, we would be able to trade up in this year's draft for "that guy" if there is somebody Pace has identified. With how discounted RBs are getting traded for, and with the cap space we have after restructuring Mack's deal, whose to say Pace doesn't trade for a Duke Johnson type player.

RB is no longer a position where teams need to commit a lot of cap space towards. In the same way that a developmental QB should be drafted every couple of years I think RB is in the same situation now.
So you basically ignored the questions I laid out. You're saying that if Pace has "that guy", he's a sure thing? What if Pace doesn't have "that guy" or he gets selected too high for us to be in play to trade up? The solution to our bad RB situation as playoff contenders is... guesses on hopes on non-R1 (more likely R3 or R4) picks? We are talking about draft picks here.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

The Bears went 12-4 last season and basically didn't get to the super bowl because of a kicker (you'll never convince me the Bears couldn't have beaten the Rams or the Pats). And they did it with Jordan Howard having a career worst year. If you don't think the Bears can replicate or improve upon Howard's production with - at worst - creative playcalling and a committee approach, then I don't know what to really say to you.

Everyone loves Jordan Howard, I get it. I love Jordan Howard. However his statistics last season are very replaceable.
So as a contender, you're fine with getting just what Howard did last year? That's the expectation we should all have?

wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:

So as a contender, you're fine with getting just what Howard did last year? That's the expectation we should all have?
I'm saying the Bears were a contender even getting somewhat pedestrian numbers from Howard. They should still be a contender if they replicate that production.

Also, have you ever considered that the offense might in fact be better without Howard because they may actually be able to expand the playbook with a more well-rounded back? That the RPO might actually work better, and as designed, than it did with Howard in on those plays?

Tarik Cohen is going to get a LOT of touches this season. Howard's role was only going to decrease.

All I'm saying is that Jordan Howard is not the difference between the Bears being a contender and them not being a contender.

Also - by saying "So as a contender, you're fine with getting just what Howard did last year? That's the expectation we should all have?" you are actually arguing against Howard.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:

I'm saying the Bears were a contender even getting somewhat pedestrian numbers from Howard. They should still be a contender if they replicate that production.

Also, have you ever considered that the offense might in fact be better without Howard because they may actually be able to expand the playbook with a more well-rounded back? That the RPO might actually work better, and as designed, than it did with Howard in on those plays?

Tarik Cohen is going to get a LOT of touches this season. Howard's role was only going to decrease.

All I'm saying is that Jordan Howard is not the difference between the Bears being a contender and them not being a contender.

Also - by saying "So as a contender, you're fine with getting just what Howard did last year? That's the expectation we should all have?" you are actually arguing against Howard.
What I'm saying only argues against Howard if he's inherently limited to the production we got out of him, which doesn't seem to be the case if you look at how the coaching staff changed the blocking scheme late and he suddenly got more effective. A whole year of Jordan Howard December 2018s is what I'd like to see replicated. Also, indications are that Howard worked on his receiving game and looked better in that phase in preseason. And yet, we almost never used him in that way.

I agree that Howard wasn't good at the RPO thing and we should improve in that area with other guys back there. But that's a relatively small percentage of our offense.

I also agree that expanding the playbook could help with a more well rounded back. (I can see the logic behind your pointing to Duke Johnson and I think I could get behind that.) But who is that guy? A career backup in Davis? A mystery draft pick that could end up being the next Jeremy Langford? A street FA to be named later?

And if 180# Cohen gets significantly more touches, I'll bet he's out or significantly negatively impacted for at least 25% of the season due to injuries. Isn't that a reasonable expectation?

I see what you're saying. I do. But good ideas don't make your team better if you don't have good players. We effectively traded Howard and Cunningham for Davis and Patterson and presumably a guy we're going to draft in R3 or beyond. I'm having a difficult time seeing that as a plus for us. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so because right now, this talk about how we're going to be better without Jordan Howard seems like fantasyland to me.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

So you basically ignored the questions I laid out. You're saying that if Pace has "that guy", he's a sure thing? What if Pace doesn't have "that guy" or he gets selected too high for us to be in play to trade up? The solution to our bad RB situation as playoff contenders is... guesses on hopes on non-R1 (more likely R3 or R4) picks? We are talking about draft picks here.
Pace has earned the benefit of the doubt with me and then some although I will admit some of his moves initially have frustrated me. I freaked out about the Biscuit trade and semi-freaked out about the Mack deal. I won't deny that he's had his share of draft busts which I would say Kevin White and Floyd fit that description.

However, go back and look at his complete body of work over the past several years. He's drafted extremely well. If we take a RB this year I think there's a really good chance he'll be good.

There's always a risk in the draft going against you. If that happens, we have 10 picks next year and Pace can work out a trade. When Howard goes for a 6th or conditional 5th, someone like a Duke Johnson can be had for a similar cost. I'd trade a 5th for Duke Johnson right now and you could make the argument that Howard is better.

There is no way I can see the Bears holding onto those 10 picks for next year. Whether some of those are used to trade up this year, trade up next year, or traded for a player, but I can't see why we'd need 10 picks.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

This Twitter thread has a really good summation of the reasons for the trade.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mike you've lost your damn mind
docc
Head Coach

Philly papers and interviews with coaches expect Howard to get 10-12 touches a game...

Not exactly what some would think he needs.. As a bear under Faux he came on stronger AFTER 10-12 touches..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:mike you've lost your damn mind
Not the first time I've heard that! :D

But I challenge anyone to point out which NFL teams have a worse RB situation than the Chicago Bears today. Nobody has even taken a swing at that question, other than pointing to last year. I wonder why not? :evilgrin:

thunderspirit
Head Coach

They need to replace Howard's 270 touches. There's no question about that.
Mike Davis had 146 touches last season in Seattle. Who gets the remaining 130 touches remains to be seen.

Moreover, the Bears still have Tarik Cohen, who's their most electrifying player. I think that's why I don't see the sky falling.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:

But I challenge anyone to point out which NFL teams have a worse RB situation than the Chicago Bears today. Nobody has even taken a swing at that question, other than pointing to last year. I wonder why not? :evilgrin:
These teams definitely have a worse situation than us:
Atlanta has Freeman coming off an injury then Jeremy Langford, Ito Smith, Brian Hill and Kenjon Barner
Baltimore has Ingram, and they're going to keep running Lamar Jackson, but then they have Dixon and that's it.
I wouldn't be thrilled with McCoy and Gore as the two headed monster in Buffalo...Both are low end starters at this point
Mack and Hines in Indy leave a lot to be desired in the way of durability
Fournette needs to stay healthy in Jax, and be motivated when he is healthy
KC without Hunt wasn't that great running the ball, and they've since added Hyde who only gets what's blocked.
The Raiders are leaning on Crowell as their main back
Tampa's still riding Barber and they have Ronald Jones who never got going last year
And SF has Brieda, McKinnon coming off an injury and Coleman fresh off an underwhelming season in Atlanta

You can argue that a few other teams have little to no depth behind their main guy and are not in a great situation if they get an injury.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:They need to replace Howard's 270 touches. There's no question about that.
Mike Davis had 146 touches last season in Seattle. Who gets the remaining 130 touches remains to be seen.

Moreover, the Bears still have Tarik Cohen, who's their most electrifying player. I think that's why I don't see the sky falling.

I dont know why Mike Davis cant possibly be the bell cow. He's shown some iimpressive flashes, he's got low mileage, and if there's any one position in the NFL where a rando can come in and dominate, it's RB. Jordan Howard was a freaking fifth rounder, it's not like he was a top ten pick, and we did fine.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:

I had it all typed out in an earlier post but didn't think it mattered to you since you have your mind made up about all of this. But what the heck... I'll indulge you.

Worse than the Bears:
Oakland
Tampa Bay
Detroit
Green Bay
Baltimore
Minnesota
Atlanta

Equal to the Bears (pre draft):
Buffalo (although their two backs are a combined 65 years old)
Miami
Washington (this one is close, Guice hasn't had a carry, Peterson is 34, and Chris Thompson is hurt)
Arizona (Johnson wasn't playing well before he got hurt...but they have the potential to be better than the Bears)
Tennessee (Derrick Henry didn't have more than 60 yards in a game until week 13)
Chiefs (Losing Hunt hurts...Williams played well in relief though)
San Francisco
Eagles
Denver
Jacksonville
Indianapolis
Houston
Pittsburgh (Maybe)

Better than the Bears
Seattle
Carolina
Saints (assuming Latavius Murray is an upgrade or at least equal to Ingram)
LA Rams (but Gurley has been hurt and they no longer have Anderson)
Cleveland (assuming they keep Johnson and Hunt plays at some point)
Cincinnati
New England (because the Pats have the RB by committee thing nailed)
New York Jets (with an asterisk because Bell hasn't played in a year)
San Diego
Cowboys
New York Giants (the depth behind Barkley is non-existent though)

Again, these are fairly subjective. Stats can't be used exclusively. A lot of the backs that have moved teams have shared the load, and a lot of this is based on potential. Also, a lot of the teams listed as better than the Bears, have zero depth behind their star RB.
Pagan
MVP

Yep...

Just as can be found in the lesser social media platforms = Loving a player/team drastically effects IQ.

1) We all love Jordan Howard.
2) Pace can/has/will continue to find RB's that Bears fans love (in the mid-late rounds).
3) Change is often difficult.
4) Humans have 2 speeds; 1 self loathing & 2 God complex.

Everyone's had 2 years to prepare for this separation anxiety.

Time to suck it up & realize these facts.
Funkster
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:They need to replace Howard's 270 touches. There's no question about that.

I dont know why Mike Davis cant possibly be the bell cow. He's shown some iimpressive flashes, he's got low mileage, and if there's any one position in the NFL where a rando can come in and dominate, it's RB. Jordan Howard was a freaking fifth rounder, it's not like he was a top ten pick, and we did fine.

For two years in Seattle he was hampered by nagging injuries that limited his carries, he couldn’t win the job when the door was wide open for him to do so. I know the stats say he played in X amount of games, however, they weren’t meaniful carries. I’m hoping that’s past him because you’re 100 correct, he does show flashes of good potential but I have my doubts. I’m more leaning on Davis is insurance if Pace misses his go to back via the draft.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
MoFugger
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:

For two years in Seattle he was hampered by nagging injuries that limited his carries, he couldn’t win the job when the door was wide open for him to do so. I know the stats say he played in X amount of games, however, they weren’t meaniful carries. I’m hoping that’s past him because you’re 100 correct, he does show flashes of good potential but I have my doubts. I’m more leaning on Davis is insurance if Pace misses his go to back via the draft.
I don't think it's exactly fair to say the door was wide open. I mean, the 27th overall pick is sitting right there, and everybody knows he's going to be the guy.

No, I am not about to make any bold predictions about Mike Davis. I am going to tell you this story.
the Bears were just finishing up having prison sex with the Tampa Bay buccaneers. My neighbor, who had asked me earlier if I wanted to go to the Cardinals game, came over and asked me one more time. I had originally said no because I had just been at the stadium for the week before when the Bears were in town, and there's only so many $10 blue moons you can afford in a week.
however, I was feeling pretty good, and after the day that Mitch just had I was really wanting to wear his jersey out in public.

I watched Mike Davis have one hell of a game. And, say what you want about the 2018 Cardinals, their defense was no pushover.
again, I'm not making any bold predictions, but I don't have any problems if this guy winds up being the lead back.

I loved Jordan Howard the day we drafted him, and I will always cheer for him.
but I'm not going to call this move a mistake until it actually proves to be.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab
Mod

Good read on Howard's fit (or lack thereof) in the offense
https://twitter.com/robertkschmitz/stat ... 2591143936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

wab wrote:Good read on Howard's fit (or lack thereof) in the offense
https://twitter.com/robertkschmitz/stat ... 2591143936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Somewhere, i cannot find it, there was a comment by someone saying his son played college football as a rb and said the same thing, Howard doesn't understand how to run in an inside zone RPO.

At the end of the day, just about everyone on the O excelled under Nagy, except Howard. Is the problem Nagy, or Howard if that's the case? We will get a shot to find out this season.
G08
Hall of Famer

KhalilSackDaddy wrote:
Somewhere, i cannot find it, there was a comment by someone saying his son played college football as a rb and said the same thing, Howard doesn't understand how to run in an inside zone RPO.

At the end of the day, just about everyone on the O excelled under Nagy, except Howard. Is the problem Nagy, or Howard if that's the case? We will get a shot to find out this season.
I believe Funkster said that, wab was commenting on Howard's RPO issues during the season as well.

I liked Howard but to me the writing was on the wall as soon as Nagy got here.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

G08 wrote:
KhalilSackDaddy wrote:

I believe Funkster said that, wab was commenting on Howard's RPO issues during the season as well.

I was a big fan of Howards, and I really think moving to another team was best for him going into a contract year. Now i'm interested in who they draft to fill out this roster.
G08 wrote:
KhalilSackDaddy wrote:

G08 wrote:
KhalilSackDaddy wrote: