thunderspirit
Head Coach

KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

Cool! Depth at safety and 4-phase special teams player.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

Good special teams player and spot depth at DB. Makes drafting another safety less imperative.

Nothing to dislike.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Pace filling slots so he can go BPA in draft as usual. I like it.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Meh.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Umbali
MVP

Mikefive wrote:Meh.

Sir please put your meh away and change it to a heh. Sometimes vanilla meh/heh signing are needed!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
BR0D1E86
MVP

Not impressed, but I guess it makes it a little easier to focus solely on bpa.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

That's good.
They offered less than the tender and still got him back.

Now they only need 1 S going into the draft and can do it early or late.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:Good special teams player and spot depth at DB. Makes drafting another safety less imperative.

Nothing to dislike.
Bingo.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Is he a "good" STs player? What's he done to earn that grade? Sure, he plays all the STs. That doesn't make him good at them. Good STs players generally can offer something at a regular position. Bellamy could actually run a route and make a play on offense once in a while. And McManus played some nickel after Callahan went down and did OK. You wouldn't want either of those guys starting long term. But in spot duty, they aren't killing you.

Is there any reason to think that DHC woud be productive at all as a defensive player? Not that I see.

This is a meh signing and I stand by that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:Is he a "good" STs player? What's he done to earn that grade? Sure, he plays all the STs. That doesn't make him good at them. Good STs players generally can offer something at a regular position. Bellamy could actually run a route and make a play on offense once in a while. And McManus played some nickel after Callahan went down and did OK. You wouldn't want either of those guys starting long term. But in spot duty, they aren't killing you.

Is there any reason to think that DHC woud be productive at all as a defensive player? Not that I see.

I don't think DHC would kill them if he had to play safety or nickle in a pinch, but I think at the SS spot and Nickle spot in this defense if you can tackle and cover for about 3-4 seconds you are going to be ok. Jackson and Fuller are indispensable, the other DB's just need to not shit the bed.

DHC knows the defense and he is cheap which they need both at this point with all the other contracts that are handed out on this team. He also tied for team lead in special teams tackles, recovered a fumble, forced 2 fumbles the season prior on special teams and led special teams in tackles then as well.

He played 46 snaps on defense after Callahan got hurt, tallied 4 tackles and a QB hit blitzing.

Unlike Bellamy, who was suppose to be some special teams ace with his 5 tackles over 3 seasons, he doesn't shit the bed 50 percent of the time when called upon to play, which was bellamy's catch rate which was even more maddening because the dude could run routes and get open making highlight reel catches 1 time and then dropping the next pass that hit him in the numbers.

Even if he doesn't develop further he is the back end of the roster type player the Bears need.

DHC did grade out just a tick higher than Bellamy as well on PFF, which being younger you would think he may improve a bit more which Bellamy is at the age where he will most likely go the other way. Bellamy also cost about 4 times as much.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
Yeah, it’s a one year contract for (I assume) minimum dollars. That’s the definition of “meh.”

But they’re obviously comfortable enough with him to have him at the end of the S rotation barring upgrades. It’s slightly above meh for me because anything that frees them up for strictly bpa in the draft is good. He’s at least a familiar warm body at the position.
UOK
Site Admin

S Deandre Houston-Carson & LS Patrick Scales both signed for the 3 year vet. minimum $720,000, guessing small bonus for both (~$20k)

OLB Aaron Lynch $1M base salary, $250k signing bonus. $1,453,125 2019 cap hit per @kfishbain

Bears 2019 cap space around $17.7 million