OLB Aaron Lynch returns to Bears on 1yr deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

cblaz11
MVP

I think we already picked up the 5th year option which means we’re stuck with him through 2020 whether we want him or not.

I’m sold on Floyd’s ability...it’s his durability that is preventing me from paying him.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote:I think we already picked up the 5th year option which means we’re stuck with him through 2020 whether we want him or not.

I’m sold on Floyd’s ability...it’s his durability that is preventing me from paying him.
That is incorrect. It is only guaranteed for injury if they release him prior to the start of the league year. So unless he is injured going into the offseason they have until the start of the league year to decide.
cblaz11
MVP

Honestly, I’m not sure how the 5th year option works. That said, I thought it was fully guaranteed.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote:Honestly, I’m not sure how the 5th year option works. That said, I thought it was fully guaranteed.
If they are unijured going into the offseason prior to the 5th season they can be released prior to the start of the league year with 0 cap hit. At the start of the league year the contract becomes fully guaranteed. Teams can also negotiate an extension prior to the 5th year option even if they have picked it up.

The risk is, if he gets injured seriously or late in the year and he cannot pass a physical after the 19 season you are stuck with a big price for nothing in 20 as it is guaranteed against injury only prior to the league year starting, but the team also gets 1 extra year of control so it's a two way street and there is incentive for the player to negotiate a long term extension.

I don't hate floyd, quite the opposite. I just realize there are a lot of good players on this team and some tough decisions to come ahead. It's a no-brainer to extend a lot of them if the cap space was there but the reality is they are going to have to pay a QB and we have stuck a lot of money longer term in quite a few players, so quite a few of of the rest will probably be let go. You can only extend, convert and defer so long before you get in really big trouble with the cap and then have to go through a season where everyone gets let go (cap hell).