View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:45 pm 
Hall of Famer

NFL has released the International Games schedule :

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026723/article/nfl-unveils-dates-times-for-2019-international-games

and the one that matters to us : Chicago Bears vs. Oakland Raiders, Sunday, Oct. 6, 1 p.m. ET, at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:17 pm 
Hall of Famer

Never been to London... might go with the wifey and some buddies!

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm 
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Never been to London... might go with the wifey and some buddies!

London is an awesome city. If anyone is going and has any questions just hit me up. I'll be at the game too assuming there isn't a ticket catastrophe so it'd be cool to meet up with folks from on here.

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 pm 
Assistant Coach

Im also from North London ( been in the states 7 years but go back on the regs ) and can give any pointers as needed.

That Tottenham stadium is brand new and will likely be a better vibe for nfl than wembley has been in previous years. Wont seem so empty.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 pm 
Journeyman

Our youngest is almost 2 1/2. Had said if Bears go London 2020 or later we should all go since he'd be better for travel Had one night layover there coming back from Germany and loved it even though I didn't see much of the city. Very tempted and wife who's a Vikes fan seems good with idea of just us going so going to be interesting couple of months.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:50 pm 
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN wrote:
Our youngest is almost 2 1/2. Had said if Bears go London 2020 or later we should all go since he'd be better for travel Had one night layover there coming back from Germany and loved it even though I didn't see much of the city. Very tempted and wife who's a Vikes fan seems good with idea of just us going so going to be interesting couple of months.

Where were you in Germany? I was just up there with buddies for Oktoberfest (Munich) and Berlin (depressed the fuck out of me).

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 am 
Pro Bowler

Looks like I’ll be there for the game...I’ve never been to the UK. Leaving Thursday the 3rd and staying for 10 days. We’re gonna spend 3 nights in London, 3 in Paris...any other recommendations? Any recommendations on where to stay or places to go?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:59 am 
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote:
Looks like I’ll be there for the game...I’ve never been to the UK. Leaving Thursday the 3rd and staying for 10 days. We’re gonna spend 3 nights in London, 3 in Paris...any other recommendations? Any recommendations on where to stay or places to go?

Oktoberfest in Germany runs from September 21 through October 6 .. maybe a side trip to Munich on Oct 4th to celebrate the wonders of beer?

BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:31 pm 
Assistant Coach

cblaz11 wrote:

Amsterdam is amazing. Highly recommend.

Edinburgh in Scotland is easily reachable by train / plane from London too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:23 pm 
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote:

Who are you going with and what kinds of things are you interested in when you're on a city break? You thinking hotel, apartment, AirBnB? Budget if that isn't too personal?

Do you want to hit up the tourist sites or more local flavour type spots?

Edinburgh is a good shout for another visit, you've the option of an overnight train too which is another experience and maximises time https://www.seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm and takes you from central London to central Edinburgh.

That said, Amsterdam is even better and the train there is a great way to travel too, much better than flying in my experience. https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/direct-eurostar-london-to-amsterdam.htm

Another option is if you can stay over in Iceland on the way back. I got married over there and it's an amazing country and very doable on a short break. Hit up the Blue Lagoon on the way in or out, stay in Reykjavík and take in a Golden Circle tour if that's your bag (or hire a car and go to Geysir, Gullfoss and Pingvellir yourself).

For London, I'd probably recommend staying out of the centre (zone 1). The nightlife is better imo, especially after midnight but that does depend on what you like. Plus it's really easy to use the tube to get anywhere and the 24hr lines are really handy and, if it's a consideration, safe (I've been fall down drunk on them alone many times but perhaps that's why I was avoided...).

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.