View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:12 am 
Journeyman

G08 wrote:
Never been to London... might go with the wifey and some buddies!

I went to the Tampa vs Chicago game at Wembley Stadium and it was an amazing time. They go all out for pre-game events and the stadium is nice, beers were somewhat cheap compared to going to an NFL game in the states. Me and my pal both had a blast we stayed 10 days with 3 of those we took the bullet train to Paris. So much to see and do.

One of our friends was the head cheerleader for the Bucs so we wound up hanging out with the cheerleader squad so that was an added bonus. She's the one that got us the tickets to the game for free 10 rows up 50-yard line lol... Was so close to the Bears sideline I was going nuts.

If you do go you might want to check out bed and breakfast places to stay at instead of chain hotels. They're much nicer and closer to the places we wanted to go and see. Ohh and NEVER ask anyone where's a good place to get traditional fish and chips you'll be disappointed. We did and it was a full cod (scales and all) battered and deep fried. It tasted as bad as it sounds. Was like a crunchy, scaley week old fish that smelled like low tide at 2 pm mid-August.

There's a place down the street from the Trubidore that has THE best Eggs Benedict I've ever had. I forget the name but they're known to be the best just ask anyone near there. My favorite breakfast I've not found any place in the States that comes close to how good they were.

One funny thing you might keep in mind... When we got to London and to our first room they laid out a bunch of tea (like how they do coffee here) so we decided to try a cup before we went out and I shit you not I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and they were stained black. It took 4-5 brushings to get them to a point where they didn't look like we chewed on the ink sack of a squid.

I loved London and the people there were for the most part real friendly. If you ask someone on the streets anything be prepared to have a 20+ min conversation with them. And if you tip anyone at a bar they treat you like a superstar LOL. We gave one bartender a 20 dollar tip because he was so fun he wound up feeding us drinks all night, gave us a bunch of info of what to see and where not to go ect. Was a blast. He's the one that suggested we stay in bed and breakfasts and he was right on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:18 am 
Journeyman

Cannot. Friggin. Wait.

As above, anyone need any UK based tips/advice etc, give me a shout.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:18 pm 
Rookie

I am a season ticket holder at Tottenham Hotspur so I can answer any questions about the stadium or the local area you may have.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:25 pm 
Rookie

The stadium is in the borough of Harringey (post/zip code N17 0AP) which is one of the poorest and ethnically diverse areas in London. If you like Turkish/Carribbean food or fried chicken you are in luck. My personal favourite 'take away' is Chick King where you can get double chicken breast and chips (fries) for about $5 - large portion and excellent value. For a sit down I usually go in La Barca and have an English (they are actually Albanian) breakfast.

Beer is around £5 a pint. In the stadium they sell Amstell for £4 a pint and in the first hour after the ground opens they do a pint and a pie deal for £5. I have the Spurs signature pie (minced beef) and it is very good.

Last edited by Butkus1970* on Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:32 pm 
Rookie

The best way to get to the stadium is on the overground train from London Liverpool Street station to White Hart Lane station (22mins) and it is a 5 min walk from there. If you catch the underground to Seven Sisters (the nearest station) it is a 25 min walk from there. Or you can get a bus from Seven Sisters - usually ones that end in a '9' like the 149. You can also pick up the overground from Seven Sisters to WHL (2 stops).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:34 pm 
Rookie

Please feel free to ask any questions. I have been attending games at the stadium old and new for 50 years so should be able to assist!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:26 am 
Journeyman

As a West Ham fan Butkus, I probably shouldn't talk to you.... but as a Bears fan I will gratefully take the tips ;) :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:46 am 
Rookie

skamanfrank wrote:
As a West Ham fan Butkus, I probably shouldn't talk to you.... but as a Bears fan I will gratefully take the tips ;) :)

No worries. I might not be talking to you after tomorrow....

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:32 pm 
Player of the Month

Anyone know how to get tickets?
According to nfl.com and stubhub, they're not available yet.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:52 pm 
Assistant Coach

when i still lived in London you would register your interest for tickets on the nfl or wembley website and you get email notification when they are available.

Beer in Wembley? thought they stopped selling it in the stadium outside of the VIP bars up top at sporting events.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next