For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Rich Campbell

Verified account

@Rich_Campbell
Following Following @Rich_Campbell

GM Ryan Pace is outwardly challenging what he calls the “narrative” that the Bears need a RB in this draft. “There’s no pressing, huge need. We can honestly pick the best player available.” Pace says the Bears like their RBs room—Davis, Cohen, Nall and, by extension, Patterson
thunderspirit
Head Coach

They were happy with Mike Glennon too.

NBTBS.
(Not Buying The Bull Shit)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Glennon had no talent. Cohen and Davis alone make me OK with targeting guys in the 7th or UDFA or grab a vet who's still not signed.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

I do think it's important that they add a RB. I don't think it's important that they do it in R3.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Rich Campbell

Verified account

@Rich_Campbell
Following Following @Rich_Campbell

GM Ryan Pace is outwardly challenging what he calls the “narrative” that the Bears need a RB in this draft. “There’s no pressing, huge need. We can honestly pick the best player available.” Pace says the Bears like their RBs room—Davis, Cohen, Nall and, by extension, Patterson
To me this means that we either trade up for somebody like Sanders or we wind up taking two of them.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Pace has a very good record of keeping his true intentions invisible to others ... and (aside from his Glennon mistake) it has worked for him ... and for the team

so anything he says at this point in time can be simply acknowledged and then forgotten as today's words may have absolutely nothing to do with tomorrow's actions
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Image

I was like..."pot mesh...joint fence..."

I've never claimed to be smart.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I was like..."pot mesh...joint fence..."

I've never claimed to be smart.
I’m still struggling with it admittedly
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

It took me a few minutes

"smoke screen"
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I got it right away, but I really wanted it to be doob-tube.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The company line ALWAYS is "We're happy with who we have". Pace just recited the company line. Thus, that statement means absolutely zero. Pretty simple, really.

Further, if he had given any indication of what we were going to do in the draft in 2 days, he should be fired.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Didn't really get it until I saw smoke screen. I will admit, s l o w. Alls I could think of was blowing smoke. Initially, at a quick glance, I thought the screen was a microphone.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Didn't really get it until I saw smoke screen. I will admit, s l o w. Alls I could think of was blowing smoke. Initially, at a quick glance, I thought the screen was a microphone.
I had exact same reaction.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

very nice job on this ... you had many baffled
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Quite a smoke screen, I'd say.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
malk
Head Coach

Takes a hit, mike drop.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

wab Pace was talking up your boy Ryan Nall too!

Also, I said "pot carpet?"
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I believe Pace. He typically shores up holes on the roster so he can draft bpa. If the bpa happens to be a running back i dont doubt the bears will draft him. I also won’t be surprised if we dont draft a back and just bring in a bunch of udfas. I think pace/nagy are fine going into the season with cohen/davis/best from camp as their top 3 backs. It fits what theyve done every year
wab
Mod

HurricaneBear wrote:I believe Pace. He typically shores up holes on the roster so he can draft bpa. If the bpa happens to be a running back i dont doubt the bears will draft him. I also won’t be surprised if we dont draft a back and just bring in a bunch of udfas. I think pace/nagy are fine going into the season with cohen/davis/best from camp as their top 3 backs. It fits what theyve done every year
Pace is also very adept at looking forward a draft or two when there's potentially a better pool of talent.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

So we trade Howard to Philly and they draft Sanders? WOW that's some BS!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
EricTighe
MVP

Cheaper version. That can catch.
G08
Hall of Famer

LIAR!!!

:lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Knuckles
Player of the Month

Man I wanted Sanders... Philly was the last team I thought would grab him. Was kinda hoping the Bears would trade up with Philly to get him.

Montgomery will be a great back for us (had him as my second best) but man Sanders would have been fun to watch. I just love that type of back. It's so rare to see a back with that much quickness and jaw-dropping moves mixed with power.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

“There’s no pressing need to draft a running back...”

*Trades up, and uses two of our five picks on backs* lolololol
cblaz11
MVP

I think Pace had his eye on one of two guys...Henderson and Montgomery. The minute Henderson went he knew he had to get in front of Buffalo. Time will tell, but I think there is a big difference between Montgomery and the backs that went after him.

Side note, how about the RB from South Dakota going undrafted.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

...so happy we drafted 2 more! :cheer: :evilgrin:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

When you draft bpa available, as pace does, being happy with a position group doesnt stop you from drafting at that position. If it did, then by that logic pace wasnt happy with our wide receivers. Do any of you believe thats true? When pace does like a player and thinks they are the bpa he is aggressive at getting that player. Nothing more nothing less.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Everything depends on your definition of "best player available". If you watch what NFL teams actually do in the draft, it's more like "the player who can help our team the most", which isn't necessarily the "best player". If the best player on the board is a QB in R1 but we just drafted one whose arrow is pointing up, that guy might be the best player, but isn't one we're going to take. So need does factor into the decision making process, despite what Ryan Pace might say publicly.

To me, the David Montgomery trade up was a move motivated greatly by need. I struggle to imagine Pace being comfortable going into the season with a career backup and a couple of gadget players as the RB stable. I could certainly see other guys being "better players" on Pace's board, but DM should help us a LOT, thus was worth going up for. I'm sure that DM was very high or maybe even at the top of their board.

I do think the Riley Ridley pick was more of a "we have this guy as a R2 grade, so we're taking him" kinda thought process.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:Everything depends on your definition of "best player available". If you watch what NFL teams actually do in the draft, it's more like "the player who can help our team the most", which isn't necessarily the "best player". If the best player on the board is a QB in R1 but we just drafted one whose arrow is pointing up, that guy might be the best player, but isn't one we're going to take. So need does factor into the decision making process, despite what Ryan Pace might say publicly.

To me, the David Montgomery trade up was a move motivated greatly by need. I struggle to imagine Pace being comfortable going into the season with a career backup and a couple of gadget players as the RB stable. I could certainly see other guys being "better players" on Pace's board, but DM should help us a LOT, thus was worth going up for. I'm sure that DM was very high or maybe even at the top of their board.

I do think the Riley Ridley pick was more of a "we have this guy as a R2 grade, so we're taking him" kinda thought process.
I think Riley is also a hedge for two seasons down the road and dealing with cap issues. If he pans out he could make some more expensive players expendable at WR. Combine that with his grade on the board plus the bears having few holes to fill.