Possible Trade Partners

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Seattle: With us so stocked at WR and potentially needing to unload or lose a quality guy, exploring a trade with Seattle makes sense. They just lost Doug Baldwin and don't have a ton of talent in their 13 current WR's. This trade might be for picks next year, and probably wouldn't net us a huge haul. (though 2 interesting guys IMO who are FA's after this season are TE, Nick Vannett and QB, Paxton Lynch. The latter given a year under Nagy might develop into some serious trade bait or at least be a nice upgrade at QB2)

Tennessee: They failed to pick up the 5th year option on Jack Conklin. He's had some injury concerns the last 2 years, but nothing chronic in his history. Whether you're looking long term at RT or RG, Conklin would be a major steal if the Titans have soured on him. Obviously our medical staff would need to sign off on Conklin. It would probably take at least a 2 or 3 round pick next year to pry him loose, and possibly one of our lineman to help cover the loss, but I'd do it.

Those are my thoughts. If you don't think either situation is worth exploring, that's fine, but we don't have much else to talk about for a few weeks.

Otherwise feel free to expand on these situations or find other teams who have favorable trade possibilities.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
IotaNet
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Seattle: With us so stocked at WR and potentially needing to unload or lose a quality guy, exploring a trade with Seattle makes sense. They just lost Doug Baldwin and don't have a ton of talent in their 13 current WR's. This trade might be for picks next year, and probably wouldn't net us a huge haul. (though 2 interesting guys IMO who are FA's after this season are TE, Nick Vannett and QB, Paxton Lynch. The latter given a year under Nagy might develop into some serious trade bait or at least be a nice upgrade at QB2) ...
I understand the thinking but I believe the 2019 priority will be to get Biscuit to take the next step and that will be best accomplished by allowing the receivers we have to continue to jell with him this offense. I think the only expendable receiver we had (Kevin White) has been sent packing All the rest are either developmental or guys we expect to produce in 2019.

Note: The developmental guys are especially important because (assuming they become productive), they are on rookie deals and may give us some insurance from salary cap problems down the line.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:Seattle: With us so stocked at WR and potentially needing to unload or lose a quality guy, exploring a trade with Seattle makes sense. They just lost Doug Baldwin and don't have a ton of talent in their 13 current WR's. This trade might be for picks next year, and probably wouldn't net us a huge haul. (though 2 interesting guys IMO who are FA's after this season are TE, Nick Vannett and QB, Paxton Lynch. The latter given a year under Nagy might develop into some serious trade bait or at least be a nice upgrade at QB2) ...
I understand the thinking but I believe the 2019 priority will be to get Biscuit to take the next step and that will be best accomplished by allowing the receivers we have to continue to jell with him this offense. I think the only expendable receiver we had (Kevin White) has been sent packing All the rest are either developmental or guys we expect to produce in 2019.

Note: The developmental guys are especially important because (assuming they become productive), they are on rookie deals and may give us some insurance from salary cap problems down the line.
This line of thinking is for anyone we might lose anyway. If we can get away with stashing guys on practice squad or have enough roster space, then good for us. But if we are going to release a guy like Wims, or Gabriel is deemed expendable, then Seattle could be our team.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
cblaz11
MVP

We’ve spent years looking for the kind of talent that we have now...Let’s enjoy it. The obsession with draft capital blows my mind..you dont trade your number 1 WR because of your back end talent, if anything, you trade the back end talent.
Buffaloaf
Rookie

cblaz11 wrote:We’ve spent years looking for the kind of talent that we have now...Let’s enjoy it. The obsession with draft capital blows my mind..you dont trade your number 1 WR because of your back end talent, if anything, you trade the back end talent.
Agreed - we're in win now mode. I think the back end talent was brought in to replace current starters when they become salary cap casualties.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Honestly. If Ridley is the route runner that he appears to be, I would love to trade Gabriel, and make Riley the Z, and Miller the slot. I saw too many plays last year, where it looked like Gabriel gave up on a route, and was not giving maximum effort. I like the guy, but I don't think he goes 100% on every play.
IotaNet
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Honestly. If Ridley is the route runner that he appears to be, I would love to trade Gabriel, and make Riley the Z, and Miller the slot. I saw too many plays last year, where it looked like Gabriel gave up on a route, and was not giving maximum effort. I like the guy, but I don't think he goes 100% on every play.
I don’t know about giving up on routes but isn’t Gabriel’s claim to fame his speed? If we got rid of him, our only other burner becomes Patterson.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Honestly. If Ridley is the route runner that he appears to be, I would love to trade Gabriel, and make Riley the Z, and Miller the slot. I saw too many plays last year, where it looked like Gabriel gave up on a route, and was not giving maximum effort. I like the guy, but I don't think he goes 100% on every play.
I don’t know about giving up on routes but isn’t Gabriel’s claim to fame his speed? If we got rid of him, our only other burner becomes Patterson.
That's true. But how many times did Gabriel take the top off and score a TD. Once? Twice? Not good enough if his primary weapon is speed.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote:We’ve spent years looking for the kind of talent that we have now...Let’s enjoy it. The obsession with draft capital blows my mind..you dont trade your number 1 WR because of your back end talent, if anything, you trade the back end talent.
1. I'm not obsessed with draft capital and certainly not at the expense of good talent that we want on the roster, and don't know how any of my comments would lead a sane person to assume that I am obsessed.
2. Didn't mention Robinson at all, and don't know why anyone would want to trade Robinson.
3. I did specify 2 posts later that this line of thinking was for anyone who won't make the cut or that we deem expendable. So sorry that I didn't get every though into my first post.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
That's true. But how many times did Gabriel take the top off and score a TD. Once? Twice? Not good enough if his primary weapon is speed.
How many times did Gabriel going deep spread the defense enough to open up an intermediate significant gainer for Burton, Cohen, Robinson or somebody else? Speed kills.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
How many times did Gabriel going deep spread the defense enough to open up an intermediate significant gainer for Burton, Cohen, Robinson or somebody else? Speed kills.
Valid point.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Valid point.
Speed is a great thing to have, but if you have 3 guys who can win short area matchups then speed isn't as necessary. Jerry Rice and John Taylor didn't have elite speed, but they could consistently get open in the short passing game and were virtually unstoppable with an accurate QB.
Between Robinson, Miler and Ridley, we have 3 guys that can all get open very quickly and have enough speed that teams can't just sit on the short routes. And IF Gabriel becomes expendable, both Patterson and Cohen have enough speed to open up things if needed.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Valid point.
Speed is a great thing to have, but if you have 3 guys who can win short area matchups then speed isn't as necessary. Jerry Rice and John Taylor didn't have elite speed, but they could consistently get open in the short passing game and were virtually unstoppable with an accurate QB.
Between Robinson, Miler and Ridley, we have 3 guys that can all get open very quickly and have enough speed that teams can't just sit on the short routes. And IF Gabriel becomes expendable, both Patterson and Cohen have enough speed to open up things if needed.
This was my thinking. I would rather have elite route runners, and an accurate QB, than speed that can't get open.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote: I don’t know about giving up on routes but isn’t Gabriel’s claim to fame his speed? If we got rid of him, our only other burner becomes Patterson.
Valid point.
This was my thinking. I would rather have elite route runners, and an accurate QB, than speed that can't get open.
I don't think it has to be one or the other. Is Gabriel that guy who is just fast, but can't run a route at all? I don't. it's not black and white.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Buffaloaf
Rookie

Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Valid point.
I don't think it has to be one or the other. Is Gabriel that guy who is just fast, but can't run a route at all? I don't. it's not black and white.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYf0MlykA-M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gabriel did a good job of catching the ball in traffic last year and gave his body up frequently to make the catch. He's a burner, but does have WR skills. Kevin White is a good example of a burner that doesn't have the ball skills that Gabriel has.

That said, he's not irreplaceable and was inconsistent, but I expect him to improve in year 2 of the offense.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
I'd genuinely like to know that actually, because for most games I didn't feel that defenses really feared the deep ball to Gabriel. If we are just throwing speed out there, Cohen can do that while we have Montgomery and Davis in the backfield, and Emanuel Hall could be a much cheaper decoy when Cohen is in the backfield.

IDK I was kind of let down with Gabriel, he had almost 1/3 of his total receiving yards in 2 games and both TDs in just one week. He was a pretty good dump off option (70%+ completion to him but only 10YPC) but I just didn't see much more out of him than that consistently.

And I do want to point out I hope he takes another step forward, just not sure what to expect from him. I was expecting more YAC due to his speed I guess.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Sugashane wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
I'd genuinely like to know that actually, because for most games I didn't feel that defenses really feared the deep ball to Gabriel. If we are just throwing speed out there, Cohen can do that while we have Montgomery and Davis in the backfield, and Emanuel Hall could be a much cheaper decoy when Cohen is in the backfield.

IDK I was kind of let down with Gabriel, he had almost 1/3 of his total receiving yards in 2 games and both TDs in just one week. He was a pretty good dump off option (70%+ completion to him but only 10YPC) but I just didn't see much more out of him than that consistently.

And I do want to point out I hope he takes another step forward, just not sure what to expect from him. I was expecting more YAC due to his speed I guess.
This is it. We signed this hyper speed guy from the Falcons, and he was going to take the top off of the defense, and I never felt like it happened. I wanted to see more. Maybe we'll see more in 2019, in year two of the offense.
sturf
Journeyman

Didn't Gabriel have a couple of game stretch where he was catching deep passes? I seem to remember Bears players saying that defenses adjusted how they were respecting Gabriel after that to take away the deep passes with safety help.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The negative thing about Gabriel IMO is that he's so small. He can get banged around and not be as effective against bigger players. As a comparison, Cohen while very short, is a more solid player who can bounce off of guys without being as affected.

I think with the emergence of Miller along with inclusion of Ridley, Wims and perhaps one of the Hall brothers, I can see Gabriel going back to his Atlanta role of being WR #3 with a bit less production.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:The negative thing about Gabriel IMO is that he's so small. He can get banged around and not be as effective against bigger players. As a comparison, Cohen while very short, is a more solid player who can bounce off of guys without being as affected.

I think with the emergence of Miller along with inclusion of Ridley, Wims and perhaps one of the Hall brothers, I can see Gabriel going back to his Atlanta role of being WR #3 with a bit less production.
I agree with this. I think Gabriel is more of a #3 or #4 receiver. Not a #2.