Kicking Kompetition

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:20 am I don't know if the interest in the Ravens guy was legit or a subtle push to Fry/Pinero to get better quickly.
This is nonsense sir. They are in a heated, 2 man battle for the job with the entire Chicago sports media and fan base watching their every move. They have as much pressure to perform and win the job now as they could possibly have. Some rumor about adding another kicker isn't going to change anything, they are who they are and are trying their hardest to win the job against one another. If we had some vet without real competition around, then maybe...but that's not our situation.

Anyhow, I just wish Pace would have paid the price and gotten the Ravens guy, who seems legit. And double doink, he goes to the goddam Viqueens. Ugh. I love Pace, but he has a blind spot at PK.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:20 am I don't know if the interest in the Ravens guy was legit or a subtle push to Fry/Pinero to get better quickly.
This is going to be one of those The Curse Of Ron Santo things. Nevermind that the Cubs never took the position seriously for a few decades and didn't have a quality legit front office until about a decade ago. There's some sort of magic going on. Eye roll.

Pace doesn't screw around. If Fry or Pineiro both looked like clusterfucks, he would've made a serious move. That's his M.O. He did it for QB and pass rusher. Overhauled the entire WR group in pretty much one offseason. Am I missing anything?

The meatball in me wishes there was a way to get Robbie Gould in here, but who cares, just get somebody who makes the kicks.
Middleguard
MVP

It looks to me like Tabor is a weak link in the coaching staff. No connection to Nagy, only a Bears connection that is highlighted by kickoff returns which no longer matter. It shouldn't be difficult for Nagy to fire him next year.
Bears need a kickers coach and a return coverage coach.
Pineiro needs help with his mechanics. Why isn't he getting it (from coaches) or why isn't he getting it (in his head)?
G08
Hall of Famer

What are the current NFL kicking competitions -- aside from ours? Off the top of I my head I recall:

Green Bay - Mason Crosby vs. Sam Ficken

Cleveland Browns - Greg Joseph vs. Austin Seibert

Carolina Panthers - Graham Gano vs. Joey Slye (this isn't much of a competition more than it is Slye filling in for an injured Gano)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

With all the people jumping off the Piniero bandwagon after one 48-yard miss, I feel like I should jump ON the Piniero train! :D
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I suspect since they traded for Pineiro that he is who the Bears hope steps up and wins the job ... he is not going to be awarded the job simply because the team traded for him, but I think that would be the tiebreaker if he and Fry are considered equal
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't want to say I'm jumping off Pineiro's bandwagon... but God-DAMN that kick was ugly.

UOK
Site Admin

wab
Mod

I've been team Fry since the beginning.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Boris13c wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:39 am I suspect since they traded for Pineiro that he is who the Bears hope steps up and wins the job ... he is not going to be awarded the job simply because the team traded for him, but I think that would be the tiebreaker if he and Fry are considered equal
Wasn’t a conditional 7th, so if he gets cut they owe nothing? Could be wrong but that’s what I remember.
G08
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm
Boris13c wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:39 am I suspect since they traded for Pineiro that he is who the Bears hope steps up and wins the job ... he is not going to be awarded the job simply because the team traded for him, but I think that would be the tiebreaker if he and Fry are considered equal
Wasn’t a conditional 7th, so if he gets cut they owe nothing? Could be wrong but that’s what I remember.
You are correct. Needs to be on our roster for 5 games if I'm not mistaken.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I was hoping the stars were aligning and we could have traded the 6th rounder we got from the Iggles for Howard for Vedvik. Water under the bridge now, but for a while I felt like it was meant to be.
UOK
Site Admin

G08
Hall of Famer

I went back and watched Pineiro's kicks at Florida and last season with the Raiders... I feel like we've fucked with his mechanics.

docc
Head Coach

Pineiro did his job against the Giants..Fry pee'd his pants a bit..
I like big leg..just be consistent..
So far..looks like little man Big Foot a step ahead..
tjs
Journeyman

sounds like we have a winner. at least between those 2

Last edited by Xee on Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link.
UOK
Site Admin

They’re absolutely trading for/signing someone in the next 72 hours.

Piniero is fine, but Bears aren’t giving him the job just yet.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I hope they keep Pineiro and he hits 90% of his kicks for the next 15 years. I’ll believe it when I see it though.
docc
Head Coach

yep//thought he was fryed after missing that kick.. Waiver wire savior soon ? I think Piniero sticks..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:26 pm They’re absolutely trading for/signing someone in the next 72 hours.

Meatball time for me.

Watch Pace trade for Gould.

(Now seriously, with two weeks left in the preseason it doesn't make sense to decide so early especially since neither one showed a clear advantage over the other in the two preseason games. So yeah I think you're right. Pace is going after another kicker.)
BR0D1E86
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:59 pm
UOK wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:26 pm They’re absolutely trading for/signing someone in the next 72 hours.

Meatball time for me.

Watch Pace trade for Gould.

(Now seriously, with two weeks left in the preseason it doesn't make sense to decide so early especially since neither one showed a clear advantage over the other in the two preseason games. So yeah I think you're right. Pace is going after another kicker.)
Maybe. We already had an open roster spot though, so this wasn’t necessary before a trade. I think they just decided to commit to Pineiro.
UOK
Site Admin

Read a few things that made sense. Piniero struggles with the off/on taking turns crap. Ears want to give him a couple weeks as “the guy” to see how he does with consistency.
Umbali
MVP

I know this is a serious conversation but that gif makes me seriously want some good meatballs in sauce...maybe on a steamed bun with cheese...and maybe sauteed onions and peppers...and of course some beer.....

carry on
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

docc
Head Coach

Panther's Joey Slye..may be available.. Big leg has been very consistent..
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:11 pm Read a few things that made sense. Piniero struggles with the off/on taking turns crap. Ears want to give him a couple weeks as “the guy” to see how he does with consistency.
This is my read of the situation. It's one thing to build mental fortitude or whatever, but this has been a circus for awhile and it's time to give one of these guys some time to settle in and normalize a bit before the season starts. I am sure they are still scouring the waiver wire and all that and his job isnt set in stone, but enough was enough.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

with the depths they went to in this competition I think the choice has been made for now. If he starts shanking kicks then I would expect a turnstyle of kickers in and out the door.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:16 pm
UOK wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:11 pm Read a few things that made sense. Piniero struggles with the off/on taking turns crap. Ears want to give him a couple weeks as “the guy” to see how he does with consistency.
This is my read of the situation. It's one thing to build mental fortitude or whatever, but this has been a circus for awhile and it's time to give one of these guys some time to settle in and normalize a bit before the season starts. I am sure they are still scouring the waiver wire and all that and his job isnt set in stone, but enough was enough.
I agree. Nothing is ever set in stone, but probably a good move to try to end the circus, give Eddie a chance for all reps and see where it goes.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
G08
Hall of Famer

My guy! I hope he just finds a consistent swing to go along with the thunder in his leg.