Kicking Kompetition

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

[Biggs] Eddy Piniero and Elliott Fry ended final minicamp practice with each making field goals from 45 yards. “It was awesome finishing the way we did,” Matt Nagy said. Saved the team from conditioning running.
malk
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Mikefive wrote:If you were betting, would you take Piniero, Fry or somebody else? Pretty even odds each way it seems.
Somebody else. Pace goes all in when there’s a weakness. Traded up for Biscuit. Traded for Mack. Redid almost the entire WR group in one offseason. This will be no different. If he has to trade for Robbie Gould and pay him record money, he will. I don’t doubt Pace’s desire or ability to fix problems on this team anymore. Just in terms of how visible the kicker situation is, Pace has to fix it.
Eventually you run out of picks and/or cap space though...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

Nagy/Pace are going to go for accuracy, so that's why I'm leaning towards Fry. It also wouldn't surprise me if the kicker that starts the season isn't the kicker that ends the season.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
Mikefive wrote:If you were betting, would you take Piniero, Fry or somebody else? Pretty even odds each way it seems.
Somebody else. Pace goes all in when there’s a weakness. Traded up for Biscuit. Traded for Mack. Redid almost the entire WR group in one offseason. This will be no different. If he has to trade for Robbie Gould and pay him record money, he will. I don’t doubt Pace’s desire or ability to fix problems on this team anymore. Just in terms of how visible the kicker situation is, Pace has to fix it.
There are ways. Bring in 10 guys. Even a kicker like Gould can be had for a very lower round draft choice and we still have a bunch of them next year.

The lifelong fan meatball in me says trade for Gould. But whatever, we can't have a playoff come down to that bullshit again. With the way this offense is, we really shouldn't have to worry about the 50 yard FG all that much. Just get somebody who is automatic from 45 yards and in. If that's Fry, then its Fry.
malk
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
malk wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
There are ways. Bring in 10 guys. Even a kicker like Gould can be had for a very lower round draft choice and we still have a bunch of them next year.

The lifelong fan meatball in me says trade for Gould. But whatever, we can't have a playoff come down to that bullshit again. With the way this offense is, we really shouldn't have to worry about the 50 yard FG all that much. Just get somebody who is automatic from 45 yards and in. If that's Fry, then its Fry.
I just meant, particularly with regards to Gould, that Pace can't keep going out and doing whatever it takes to solve a problem.

From a pure business perspective, enough kickers have come out of nowhere that we should do what we've done, offer who we think is the best 4 years for $4m with no guarantees beyond year one and then keep going until it works out. Salary has no correlation to success with kickers so there's little point paying them. The once scenario being if you have a good one when you're solidly in your window then resigning at that point is worthwhile.

It's crazy that Parkey is 21st all time in FG%, just half a point behind Vinatieri. There's a not small part of me that thinks that, in any given season, you have Justin Tucker or it's dumb luck. Gould had poor years in 2005 and 2014, Gostkowski 2006 and 2010, Dan Bailey has fallen off a cliff the past two years, Vanderjagt had 2002 and 2006 (but followed up 2002 with a perfect year, 37 of 37 in 2003). That's the top 5 ever (excluding Lutz's three years for sample size).

Even someone like Vinatieri with a 22 year career had five years over 90% and 7 under 80%.

Now that's really basic analysis but it does seem to indicate that that killer sub 80% year could come at any time.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Nagy/Pace are going to go for accuracy, so that's why I'm leaning towards Fry. It also wouldn't surprise me if the kicker that starts the season isn't the kicker that ends the season.
The concern I have with Fry is that I've heard reports detailing how some of his kicks would fall short, if not well-short, of the goal posts. That worries me because it ties into concerns over his leg strength, and again in Chicago you need to cut through the teeth of the wind at times.

I'm hoping Pineiro is lights out in camp and carves out a stellar 12-14 year career in Chicago.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

After watching Parkey play the wind lottery and limp-dick his kicks with all the strength and power of a styrafoam cup, I'm cheering for Pineiro, since at the very least he plugs the fuck out of his kicks in the general direction of the uprights.
UOK
Site Admin

https://twitter.com/maddogradio/status/ ... 86688?s=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cohen reveals that Nagy shows the team the final seconds of the playoff loss to keep it fresh, so they never forget that hurt.
UOK
Site Admin

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/video ... nts-winner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gould: “It’s a complicated situation. The way I’ve kind of approached it is, I want to spend time with my family. And I let my agent handle it, and if anything comes up that I have to make a decision or be in the know, he’ll call me and let me know. But right now there’s nothing to really know, and I’m just enjoying being home and being in Chicago. I’m at a point in my career where my family is what’s going to dictate the decisions that I make.”
G08
Hall of Famer

Robbie really is going to force his way back here, isn't he?

David Kaplan reports the Bears don't have interest but who the hell knows...

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Robbie really is going to force his way back here, isn't he?

David Kaplan reports the Bears don't have interest but who the hell knows...
If the Bears say they have interest, it weakens any negotiating position they have.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

it might even technically be tampering if the bears say they have interest?
docc
Head Coach

It is..a team cannot solicit and probably best not to even mention Gloud. Fans..sure..Team officials..nope..
Richie
MVP

UOK wrote:After watching Parkey play the wind lottery and limp-dick his kicks with all the strength and power of a styrafoam cup, I'm cheering for Pineiro, since at the very least he plugs the fuck out of his kicks in the general direction of the uprights.
Yeah, I think that's what annoyed me about a lot of Parkey's kicks from 45 and in most. Especially the one that ended our season. He tried to baby it through the uprights. There was no wind... aim it down the middle and kick the f'ing thing. You watch the best in the game - from 40-45 their kicks are ROCKETING through the uprights.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Eddie Pinero's kicks on video are jaw dropping. I hope he can translate them to the NFL and be our guy. it would be nice to have a kicker that "can" nail it from 55-60 if needed.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Good, the Gould drama is over. He re-signs with 9ers. This can be put to bed.
G08
Hall of Famer

Homeboy got paid... good for him.

G08
Hall of Famer

Hub Arkush said Piniero's leg is outstanding, kid was banging 60 yard field goals with ease. He thinks he will win our competition for what it's worth.

Also, sounds like we are tweaking some mechanics for these guys and that may explain some of the misses... Pace said it's like tweaking a golf swing.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I keep hearing similar stories on radio. Piniero definitely has a strong leg, but his accuracy is inconsistent. Fry is pretty accurate, but has a weak leg and from time to time will miss hit kicks in the high 40's, leaving them short.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I want the kid with the cannon for a leg.
G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:I want the kid with the cannon for a leg.
I do too but I want him to learn how to kick accurately with that power. Not every kick needs to be 110%.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

He wasn't inaccurate in college: 38/43 = 88.4%

If he's fully recovered, it seems obvious to me.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Sounds like Fry started off well...

https://twitter.com/MattEurich/status/1 ... 54944?s=20

https://twitter.com/Rich_Campbell/statu ... 65441?s=20

Also, coach says they’re going to alternate kickers each day.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'm calling it right now. Pineiro is the opening day starting kicker.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

At least after 2 days looks like there's some promise.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
G08
Hall of Famer

Sounds like Piniero mis-hit his 55 yarder but then made his 60 yarder with a couple feet to spare.

I think he's learning how to find that happy medium of leg strength and accurate delivery.

Remember, we want someone who is going to be fucking consistent and reliable up to 40, 45 yards. Anything after that, if you can get it consistently, is gravy IMO.

BR0D1E86
MVP

Aside from 7th receiver and maybe 4th tight end, this is probably our biggest camp battle.

https://twitter.com/Rich_Campbell/statu ... 00384?s=20